Summer Heat vs. Performance

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed on the dyno that as soon as the coolant on my '01 gets above 200 degrees or so, the ECU starts running a rich mixture and I lose ~20HP above 4,500 RPM. Assuming that observation translates to the track, then yes, there's a performance penalty for running hot. There's almost certainly an engine longevity penalty as well -- whether it's enough of one to make a difference over the useful life of the car is an interesting question...

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the other cars I have owned sport 180 degree thermostats... are these available for the Viper?

Pardon my ignorance.

Steve

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the power drop occur with both ECUs.

Yes, there is a 180-degree thermostat available. I got mine through JonB @ Parts rack, at the same time as I picked up a Fluidyne radiatior. I haven't installed the thermostat yet because it apparently requires pulling the intake, and since I'm having the heads off in a week, I decided to wait. Will certainly report results once it's all done.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS with a Ron Davis Aluminum radiator and the Sean Roe Ducting kit. Both mods helped but, if I am running a predominetly 3rd gear track and ambient temperature is anywhere near 90 deg after 15-20 min into the session I am approching 250 deg. I would love to hear what other people have done to solve this.