Sun Visors: Upgrade from 96 GTS vinyl to later cloth? Do they work better?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have vinyl OE in my 96 GTS and mistplaced my driver's side visor.

I cam either find a used vinyl one OR upgrade both to the later model cloth ones.

I have heard the cloth ones are wider (hang down lower when in down position)

BUT I'd like to know if they can fold forward (from down position) onto the windshield?

The OE vinyl have little bent wings on them to fit the roof profile, but when you try to fold them forward onto the windshield, that wing fold is in the wrong direction. The vinyl wings do not bend and you simply can't fold them forward.

Thanks
Tom

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom.

Consider just removing them altogether. The interior feels much more spacious with them gone, and they rotate down so far that nobody can see out the windshield when it is down anyways.

Meanwise, Ill check in my garage to see if I have my originals from my 96. Think they were vinyl though.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, they **** - and that's why I need the driver's side - I removed it when I had to wear a helmet.

However, I'm going to put about 3000 miles driving cross country and when your into the sun with a sand blasted windshied... well, that completely *****.

Maybe someone should design visors that actually fit and work.

I'm notorious in ordinary cars for swinging the visor over the door window!

One thing, the OE 96 vinyl passengers side is nowhere long enough - it stops nearly 6" shy of the rear view mirror. So that ***** too.

Hummm, seems like "sucking" is coming up pretty frequently here, huy?

I'm going to try and find some pics of them.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to this again. (car is in NV, I'm in PA but will be in NV tomorrow for about 3 weeks)

NOTE: This may be academic since I want the visors for cross country drive back to PA, but this year has been one gut wrenching disaster after another and my tolerance level is now zero. If I got a flat tire on the way back, I'd feel like pouring gas on it and tossing a match... or with title in hand, sell it - so I'm planning on having it shipped - or at least that's the way I'm thinking ...today)

Haven't gotten anything yet and yeah, they ****.

In fact, what make more sense is to take the OE ones to an upholsterer and get them "chopped" (or would that be "shaved?") so you can turn them down and not block your vision. (And the other problem with them is that they are WAY TOO THICK - what were they thinking???)

My problem is I don't have the driver's side bar and screws.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal belief on these visors is that Dodge was trying to use them as some sort of crash protection in case an unbelted driver or passenger might hit their head on the windshield cross bar.

No matter, they do not work well for blocking the sun and still allow driver to see out. They also do not swivel to block sun coming in the side windows.

Believe reworking them to make them shorter and thinner might be the best solution.

Other choice is to wear dark sun glasses.

Last resort, since you will mostly driving into the East, is to start your days driving after the Sun has risen a bit. Have a long leisurely breakfast, then drive all day, and into the night. Just skip driving when the early morning Sun would be in your eyes. You will be able to enjoy all the beautiful Sunsets in your rear view mirrors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960