superchargers

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were to put a supercharger on your car which style would you go with? Roots or centrifugal. Intercooler can be added to centrifugal but is it possible to add intercooler on roots style blowers on viper? I would think that it would be hard or not possible becuase blower sits on top of the engine. If both superchargers are flowing same amount of CFM I would think roots style will make more power because roots style generates less heat and still able to maintain lot more low end HP. If not possible than I would guess that centrifugal will make more power with intercooler.

S

SUN RA KAT

I would go with the twin screw supercharger that Sean Roe uses.
As a matter of fact, I am.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking to make close to 600rwhp get the roots type
If you want to make more then that (600-800rwhp), go with the centrifugal type.
It looks like the roots type will be easier to install and tune, but it wont have an intercooler.
Roots is $6K, centrifugals range from $13K to $22K.
Good luck.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify, Sean Roe's blower is NOT a Roots type supercharger. As Kenny said, it is a twin-screw blower, specifically an Autorotor. It is much more efficient than a Roots type blower, which is why it doesn't need an intercooler in the 5-8 psi range. I don't know of anyone who has developed a Roots style blower for a Viper, or whether one exists that would be large enough for that application. Also, while I don't think Sean has developed or tested an intercooler/aftercooler for his system, he has stated that there is enough room for one between the blower and the manifold and that one may be available down the road for higher boost applications.

Ronnie

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't discount any blower package, but I know there are centrifugal blower packages in the same price range as the roots style. Lets face it no one has any real amount of time on any twinscrew or roots unit to see how it works in the real world on a viper and until you get some street time on one you really don't know what you are going to get,they may be great and trouble free but that remains to be seen.There are many centrifugal cars out there so they have a track record.I do believe the roots style will be cheaper and if you look at one of each on a car you will know why. My advice would be to check it out yourself and don't take any advice from anyone who doesn't have or has had one before because they probably can't give you good advice since they never had one.I have a centrifugal and have had one for a long time and I wouldn't own a roots style, not because its not good, but because I don't like the looks of it, you might not like the vortech and think the roots looks better so it would come down to performance of each and price.Just make sure you do your homework so you don't do it twice.

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ever wonder why you don't see hardly any centrifugal superchargers as OEM on factory cars? You do see roots type superchargers on Fords, Pontiacs, Toyotas and more.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because "roots" type blowers are better in daily driving applications. Their characteristics match normal driving conditions for the average driving demographic. Centrifugal are a better peak power application.