Suspension for 98 GTS

CurtZX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Picked up my 98 GTS in March that has originally 14k Miles on it, so likely sat for a good majority of its life! While it is in great shape, I have been doing all of the fluids, and generally just bringing it back to speed. I "Think" the factory shocks/struts are worn right out, as the car is bouncy as heck on the road. My guestion is, rather than just ordering new OEM shocks/struts (and paying an arm and a leg for them), is there any good aftermarket brand out there that would be equivalent and less expensive? I don't have an issue paying the price if required, I just figured it would be worth an ask before I go ahead and buy something blindly. Point to note, the car will not be lowered and is not getting any aftermarket springs at any point, so just looking for OE or equivalent equipment.

Thanks!:D

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scroll down the list of threads here and you'll see one titled---New coilovers hitting the streets.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is unusual for the shocks to be worn out after just 14k miles, but I guess it is possible. Did you check if they are leaking? I think someone here is selling his stock shocks and springs with lowering caps installed....not too sure on the condition of them, but do a search - he just posted them a few days ago. When you say the ride is bouncy, are you saying soft bouncy or a harsh ride...factory shocks are adjustable and maybe the previous owner changed the setting?

Saw that you are in Western Canada....where abouts?

OP
OP
C

CurtZX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am in Saskatoon actually, picked up the car from Calgary in January.

I had no idea they were adjustable from factory.. The ride is harsh no doubt, but the front end seems to have some aggressive rebound over large dips in the road (and we have plenty of them) Also, another potential indicator for me would be a 'thud' or 'clunk' in the rear over some stiffer bumps in the road, which leads me to believe that the shocks may be bottoming out.. However, I like to do a lot of this kind of stuff myself, but I have fairly limited knowledge of suspension other than taking components off myself and hauling them to a shop to have them replaced.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the stock shocks off my car recently to find they were all adjusted differently! Generally they were near Full soft setting. Check the manual for setting adjustments :)

You need to remove the Shocks from the car, remove spring caps and spring then compress and wind shock down, then back them off to your desired setting.

My guess is your shocks are set too soft and on different settings like mine were ;)