Suspension setting on a 2002 ACR?

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I tried to get any input on this issue on the "performance modifications" Tread. But since no help was in sight, I try it here.

Maybe some of you Racers or Suspension cracks out there can help me with my issue. I need some advice for a proper suspension setting.
The staus quo is: All shocks (OEM 2002 ACR Dynamic Suspension) have the factory settings (compression, rebound & ridehight). The car runs on OEM-BBS with Toyo-R888 (semis).
I use the car, well, 50% on the track (I mean roadcourses, NOT dragrace). This setting would have the priority. That said, I know that with a "track-setting" the comfort goes lost! Thats OK for me.
So, what would help me, are some datas of any adjustments away from factory-setting on compression & rebound, some of you made good (or bad...) experiences with.
I also will lower the car 0'5" , not more, as I want to keep some usefull cround clearance.

Any advice or input from you Viper-fellows would be just GREAT!
Thank you & greetings from Switzerland.
Oh...btw I LOVE that car!!!! It's a dream come true, for me..!!!

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 01 ACR and want to get to this myself. I was thinking about lowering it .5" in the rear and .75" in the front. It gives the viper a really nice stance. I also forces some weight to the front (48f/52r factory)

I am really interested in what people have to say as well.

But before I get too much into the supension, I've got this starting issue, tires and clutch to tend with first.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Options: Use the search feature, and you'll find posts by me and a few others looking for that very thing. I owned a 2002 ACR (best of all Gen 2's of course ;-) )

2nd option: look up Paul Mumford (R.i.P) posts as he was able to do wonderful things with his 01/02 ACR before finally moving on to a Comp Coupe.

3rd option: Contact Archer Racing, as they know how to set them up pretty good. Remind them that you ahve the Racing Dynamics ones, not the koni's.

4th Option: My settings. Its been a bit, so please forgive me, but I did have the car corner balanced (so i highly recommend that), (again archer racing did mine). Use the aggressive street/track alignment (I have those specs around here somewhere) (again gotten from archer racing). Then for Virginia International Raceway. I have Rebound and dampening set to the 1/2 way mark and thought everything felt great. Then I took Henry Cone (winner of Viper days last year) with me for a ride on track, and he told me I had to stiffen up my dampening more.. (something about the gator, it was too bouncy, or bottomed out) so I jacked it to the MAX dampening and it did a better job, but didnt totally eliminate what Henry was talking about. So with that said.. Max out dampening (stiff as ****) and put rebound at the 1/2 way mark.. and if thats still a little too bouncy, crank up the rebound (it will stop it from coming up to quickly, giving that bouncing sensation).

Ok, hope that helps guys. FYI, I personally clocked 60,000 miles on my 02 ACR before moving on to an 06 Coupe.

Jon

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm really interested in this info as well. Not so much adjusting the stiffness, rather lowering it a bit. Some explained it to me once and said it's pretty easy with the ACR suspension, I just forgot pretty much everything he said :dunno:

I have the 2002 service manual, but there's hardly a mention of the ACR suspension, but it's entirely possible I looked in the wrong place.

Last edited:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a SPECIAL manual that goes with the ACR suspension, thats not the same as the owners manual for the car.

And yes its super easy, you unload the car by putting it on jack stands, or lifting each corner you want to adjust 1 at a time, at the jack points.

You thne use the ACR tool (the gold tool thats probably behind the passenger seat in the pocket if you never got it out before) and you loosen the set screws inside the lower perch (thats the gold ring that the spring sits on).

Once you loosen the set screws (there is either 1 or two per shock, I cant remember, if there is 2, they are directly 180 from each other, when you find one of them.

then once you back them out enough, you use the OTHER end of the acr tool to turn it clock wise (to lower the vechicle and counter clockwise to raise the vechicle).

Please keep in mind you should raise and lower each side equally until you spend the time to get a 4 corner balance).

Also when you lower the car, it DOES require an aligmnent. So dont get crazy and lower the car and then never go get it realigned becasue you will ruin the tires, and probably the driveability of the car a bit.

Once you have it where you want it, You re-set the "set screws" in the perch and your good to go.

If I forgot something, someone else can chime in.

Jon

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tripple-V - I just PM'd you my work email addess (and the other ACR owners), feel free to send me an email with the questions and I'll get you some help or whatever needed from our damper / suspension experts in addition to the good help / replies already provided, it's not a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tripple-V

Tripple-V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!!

finally I seem to get usefull infos! I knew, that this forum is...well...the place to be..!!! :2tu:

@ 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR: Jon, Thank you so much for your infos!!!
@ 2000_Black_RT10: Mike, PM sent!!

You guys are great! Thanks & keep on coming with such good infos!
:2tu: :2tu:

Greetings
Edi

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info guys, exactly what I was looking for. Someone should put this information together and get it posted into the how-to section... I would, but I should wait until I've actually done the work at least once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang