SUV to Tow the Viper

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife has an Eddie Baur Explorer with a V6. I was thinking about upgrading to another SUV with a V8 so I could tow my 02 RT to some of the tracks I will be running. I will moslty likely go with an open trailer at first but hope to go with a closed trailer (nothing huge) later on. Any suggestions on a good SUV tow vehicle? I am looking to have an adequate amount of power, but want a nice truck as well. :dunno:

I was thinking about a Toyota Sequoia. I am sure that idea will pi$$ off :evilmad: alot of members, but it's a nice looking truck and you can't argue with the reliability that has been touted about about Toyota in general. My last truck was a durango. The trans failed at less than 10,000 miles. :mad: Problem with the Sequoia is towing capacity is 6500#s and I wasn't sure if that is enough.

All opinions and advice is appreciated.

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Grand Cherokee SRT-8 was my first choice but it can't tow.

I haven't towed anything heavy with mine yet but the Trailblazer SS is rated for 6,800 Lbs in 2WD and 6,600 in AWD. I couldn't be happier with mine. I've owned two Expeditions and two Avalanches that were rated about the same but this one's a lot more fun to drive.

In case you're not familiar with it the SS has the LS2 6.0L engine in it. This is the engine used in the C6 Vette. It also has beefed up brakes, stiffened suspension, lowered stance, tighter steering, etc. I've put $750 into some minor mods and it is quick and handles
great:drive:.

I've only seen 3 other TBSS's in the last six months. I have the "Red Jewel Tint" paint on mine and it gets a lot of compliments. It's almost a candy apple red.

If you'd like more info check trailblazerss.com

Oh, and did I mention it's made in the U.S. (Ohio):)

HTH

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've pulled my 3500 pound boat on a 1400 pound trailer for 7 Summers with my 2000 Yukon. It has 98,000 miles on it now and I haven't had a towing related problem with it ever. I think it's made in Canada by GM. :)

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you would like to upgrade to an enclosed trailer some day...(excellent idea for many reasons)...let's consider you'd like to be ready when that happens.

Let's figure the Viper weighs 3300 pounds. My 22' enclosed weighs 2900 pounds empty. That's 6200 pounds, with no tools, supplies, etc on board.

Buying a vehicle that can tow 6500 is just enough...but gives little cushion..and will likely be working that vehicle pretty hard.

I used to tow with a full size Bronco, but it was on the edge. The weight distributing bars were always on their max, etc. Now that I use the Excursion...it's like night and day.

You will want a weight distributing hitch, and sway control regardless of the vehicle you choose. I'd advise as big an SUV as you can deal with.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
call it a 3600lbs car a 1200-1400lb open trailer you are at nearly 5000lbs to tow. now add in xtra tires and other stuff. If you ever plan on towing an enclosed trailer you will need much more than 6500lb towing capacity(you should be fine with an open trailer, but still very close to capacity). more like 9000-10,000+ depending on the size of the enclosed trailer, a small one will weigh in the 3,200+lb range and the wind resistance(trailer frontal area) will also play a huge factor. you might be ok for short distances with the Sequoia but not on long hauls. get something that will more than handle the weight you want to haul.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a V8 Explorer for years. Worked great.
Used an Excursion a few times. Worked awesome but very expensive.
Used a Suburban a few times. Worked fine.
Used a Hummer for about a year. Worst tow vehicle on the planet.
Now using a base model Silverado. Works fine. Loading up a pickup is soooooo much easier than loading a SUV.

Reaction score
Have used a Jeep various years (1998 4.9, 2002 4.7HO) to tow a Featherlite open trailer/Viper. Towing was easy!

Now use a RAM SRT10 Quad Cab to tow. The RAM does not know that it is hooked to a load. Amazing how well the RAM pulls. I suggest a RAM QUAD Cab with Cummings for the ultimate tow rig. The SUV's lack room for spare set of tires and other track related gear that seems to grow with every event.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had good luck towing with a Hemi Durango. No trans failures either. I have an open aluminum.

If your trailer is steel you will approach 6500 lb very quickly. An aluminum open trailer will be in the 1200-1500 lb range and keep the total well under 6500 lb.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a Yukon Denali or Cad Escalade. Ou IL president tows his enclosed trailer with a Denali you might want to ask him. His name on here is smokin tires. Check the IL thread.
Good Luck
I think I would like to have a Ram SRT10 to tow with

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with a Yukon Denali or Cad Escalade. Ou IL president tows his enclosed trailer with a Denali you might want to ask him. His name on here is smokin tires. Check the IL thread.
Good Luck
I think I would like to have a Ram SRT10 to tow with

I was thinking about a Denali. I've always thought they were sharp.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about a Denali. I've always thought they were sharp.

I love my Denali. It is one of the best looking full size SUV's. Mine is an 06 deep mettalic red, gray interior loaded with everything including Navigation, xm radio, and dvd player for the kids to watch on those trips. I did not like the looks of the 07 so I bought a new 06 a few months before they released the 07. Thought the 07 looked like a bloated Envoy but it could grow on me if I had to get one but I only have 8000 miles on my 06 after 16 months. :drive:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any vehicle with a reasonable wheelbase and 6500# should be fine. Let's look at the weight breakdowns first:

Car - 3800#
Open Trailer - 1100# (aluminum) up to 2300# (steel, el-cheapo-first-trailer)
Tires, food, crap, etc - 400# max?

Total = under 6500#.

I have towed with a V8 Grand Cherokee and with my Tahoe. I prefer the Tahoe b/c the wheelbase is longer and on steep (4% or more) downhill grades, the Tahoe feels more stable. But both have been fine on long trips.

Good luck!

BTW - If you aren't going to the track a lot, a steel trailer is fine. Aluminum is nice but even with my frequent track visits I still miss my ole' Bri-Mar.

JD

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SUV? Mercedes GL450 (7,500# towing capacity)
My Ram SRT10 quad is like an SUV with a trunk. It has a factory tonneau, bedrug, and the tailgate lock is tied to the keyless remote/power locks.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a few 4.7 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokees to tow my viper on an open trailer, they worked great. I now have a Jeep 5.7 Hemi which would pull a enclosed trailer, but hauls a$$ with an open trailer.

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be able to find a used Ford Excursion with the 7.3 diesel that can pull 11,000 lbs. I have a 2002 and it pulls very well with my Viper in a 24 foot enclosed trailer. You can't even feel the trailer. I also use a load leveling hitch. http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Navigator with the 5.6L V8 and factory towing package. I'm not sure what the tow rating is, but I suspect it would do the job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte