SVS 70mm TB install help

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of the polished 70mm TBs from SVS that were on sale.

They look like quality pieces, but they came without any instructions or gaskets. They also require that all of the throttle springs, etc be moved over. Before I tear things apart and create a mess, does anyone have any guidance on installing these things?

Can the stock gaskets be reused or do I need to pick up new ones before I start?

Can they be enlarged to the 70mm size by trimming with an exacto? I assume the Roe SC intake tubes are about 70mm on the ID.

Any other tips?

Thanks,
--- Ken

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, I bought the other set but I won't be doing the install for another week. Call Ron Jr. at SVS and he'll guide you through the install. BTW, did you find the set screws that came with the TB's? I almost threw them out with the packaging material. IF you do decide to use a RotoZip let me know as I have every RotoZip attachment known and unknown to mankind.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the gaskets here....

Throttle Bodies

Also be aware of the width of the blade on the throttle shaft that fits in the TPS. Mine was too wide and would make the throttle hang at high RPM's. I had to take a dremel and carefully shave it down to make it work properly.

P5160002.JPG

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...I guess I'll get a turbo to go along with the tubes. :D Very nice. :2tu:

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

ViperTony, I did find the set screws, thanks for the heads up. I'll be expecting a nice how-to write-up posted by the time I get around to installing mine :D

Jim, thanks for the link on the 70mm gaskets. I think I'll order me some rather than hacking on the stock gaskets. I saw your post about the hanging throttle and noted that in case I ran into the same problem.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

ViperTony, I did find the set screws, thanks for the heads up. I'll be expecting a nice how-to write-up posted by the time I get around to installing mine :D

Ha...I dunno. I've been backed up on write ups. I've got write ups from winter I still haven't gotten to. My motivation seemed to go downhill when I started drinking beer on a regular basis. This one will be a little while as I'm doing rockers now and want to make certain that goes well before introducing the TB's. Maybe by mid-July. Keep us posted on your TB installation progress.

Thanks for the tips Jim.

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll settle for a write-up on some Harland Sharps.....

I just ordered the gaskets, so hopefully I'll get around to doing the TBs by next week.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken...the stock TB's have a set screw used to limit the position of the plate for idle conditions. However, my manual doesn't state any specs about this set screw nor how to adjust it. All it states "Never attempt to adjust the engine idle speed using this screw." I was curious if you addressed this yet for the new TB's. - Tony

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
I have been ignoring them until my gaskets come in, plus my wife reminds me we have a Viper event this weekend, so probably next weekend before I mess with them.

From the factory, I think the set screws have nothing to do with the idle. That is controlled by the PCM and the IAC valve. If you did misadjust them to crack the TBs open at idle in an attempt to raise the RPMs, then I could see that causing some problems, though I have seen some posts were people did just that to fix issues with their cars dieing out when coming to a stop.
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/561227-what-controls-your-idle-viper-2.html

Since the Gen 2 does not have the same TB synchronization issues as the Gen 1, I am thinking that the factory purpose of the set screws may be to help synchronize the opening of the TBs. I think that one of the TBs (drivers side with the TPS sensor) should open slightly before the other and perhaps this is how they accomplish that with one throttle cable.

Hopefully someone that actually knows what they're talking about will chime in on this topic.

OP
OP
K

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm making progress, I got the TB gaskets and put them in the box with the TBs.

Every weekend I have some excuse not to put them on. This weekend it is Mopar Nationals, next weekend I'll be on a trip to Wisconsin. Partially I am procrastinating because the car has been running great and I don't want to mess that up during the prime driving season. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960