Swapped the Sport Cups for Super Sports

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove the car for the first time yesterday since swapping the Cups for the Super Sports.
Oh man what a difference!! On the street, night and day. The car drives so much better now! Its smother and I am not sawing at the wheel as the car follows every crack in the road like it did with the Cups. I can actually enjoy driving the car. :drive:

If I tracked the car, Cups. On the road, anything but and the Super Sports are stupendous! :2tu:

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I just did the opposite swap. Although I 100% agree with you about following whatever contour there is to the road, I feel like I get a better feel for the road with the Cups. The rolling sandblaster feel is about the only negative I have found.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've been really impressed with the Super Sports (not that I've actually driven any other variety of tire on my car yet). They've been awesome in the rain, even huge downpour style rain they just keep trucking with no problems. I just have measly gen 3 stock power though ;).

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I just did the opposite swap. Although I 100% agree with you about following whatever contour there is to the road, I feel like I get a better feel for the road with the Cups. The rolling sandblaster feel is about the only negative I have found.
I went through a couple sets of cups. They do give the car a good sandblasting.
Hoosiers are more effective at sandblasting the car.
But they also have way more grip,.....so it's almost worth it.

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Totally agree...swapped mine last August. It was like acquiring a entirely different car!!
I drove the car for the first time yesterday since swapping the Cups for the Super Sports.
Oh man what a difference!! On the street, night and day. The car drives so much better now! Its smother and I am not sawing at the wheel as the car follows every crack in the road like it did with the Cups. I can actually enjoy driving the car. :drive:

If I tracked the car, Cups. On the road, anything but and the Super Sports are stupendous! :2tu:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through a couple sets of cups. They do give the car a good sandblasting.
Hoosiers are more effective at sandblasting the car.
But they also have way more grip,.....so it's almost worth it.

Burned through a set of Cups on a 2008 ACR in 4 track days, agreed on the R6s getting 4 track days out of those also. Never tried SS that 300 treadwear rating just annoyed me.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get just barely 7x 20 min sessions (1 weekend) out of R-6's . Heat cycles don't mean a thing they can never last long enough

rvansnick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just swapped R/F for Super Sports and it is a totally different car. It is more of a pleasure to drive than I could imagine. Thanks to VCA for offering a great price and great service getting these new skins. My snake has only 5,000 miles on it and the R/F's were like brand new but they were garbage compared to the new Super Sports. You can actually now drive the car comfortably with one hand on the wheel, they are smoother and more grip and softer ride. Enjoy the summer.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ran the Super Sport on our One Lap car this year and they were fabulous. By the way we finished on the podium 3rd place out of about 60 cars with a 3rd place in class. The first American car on the podium in the last five years. And yes the pervious American car was a Viper also. They lasted the entire event with another ten tousand miles to spare. They were very good on the track but not as good as R-6's or r-100's but for street tires they are damn good. Anyone should feel very confident about using the Super Sports for weekend track events. Yes speed costs a great deal of money. If you think you are spending a lot now, I dare you to start racing. Thats a real slap to the wallet. About $5 - 7 K per weekend, and that's if you don't break anything.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ran the Super Sport on our One Lap car this year and they were fabulous. By the way we finished on the podium 3rd place out of about 60 cars with a 3rd place in class. The first American car on the podium in the last five years. And yes the pervious American car was a Viper also. They lasted the entire event with another ten tousand miles to spare. They were very good on the track but not as good as R-6's or r-100's but for street tires they are damn good. Anyone should feel very confident about using the Super Sports for weekend track events. Yes speed costs a great deal of money. If you think you are spending a lot now, I dare you to start racing. Thats a real slap to the wallet. About $5 - 7 K per weekend, and that's if you don't break anything.

Not to beat a dead horse here but I have a few questions on going with the PSS. I have them on my 6 spokes (285/345) on my '96 GTS TT and love them, but am acquiring a 2009 ACR in the next few days and since it is 4 years old with 500 miles on it, I am putting new shoes on her before taking her out.

First question would be where does the speedo get its signal? If it is from a tone ring in the rear diff or rear hub then there is no speedo change, if it is front hub then going with anything but a 295/30 (or 25" tall tire set get your speedo off a few MPH).

Now on Size, the 295/30 is 25" tall with 11.6" width. PSS 285/35 is 25.9x11.2, PSS or PS2 275/35 is 25.6x10.8. Invo is over a inch taller so out of the question. So the 285 is almost a full inch taller, this would raise the front of the car. The 275 is 1/2" taller so not so much of a aerodynamic worry but it is almost a full inch narrower. I understand the ACR suspension is adjustable, but once ride height, corner weight, alignment is set you don't want to throw on a tire an inch taller.

90% of my driving is twisty back country roads and freeway blasts with occasional trips of 300 miles or more. But the car was designed to use 295 cups, right?

I like the PSS a hell of a lot, think it is almost a perfect tire. Looking at the numbers it looks like the 295/30 PS2 and the Sport Cup is really the only option, especially if speedo is off front hub tone ring.

Anyone have any contacts at Michelin to know if they will replace the PS2 295/30/18 with a PSS 295/30/18??

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've got a question for the PSS users out there as well. They were near brand new on my car when I got it and have done really well in pretty much all the conditions I've driven them in, including heavy rain and 30 degree temps, and they wear really well. 12-13k on the set now and I've probably still got about half of tread left in the back, even with what I found out were some fairly out of spec alignment settings. The shop was amazed that they weren't worn all sorts of uneven. The one issue I have with them is that my set seems to make zero noise. I know a lot of people actually recommend street tires because they usually will start squealing, giving you an indication to back off, but mine just go from traction on to traction off without any sort of sound. Granted I haven't tracked them yet, but I would have expected some noise on the street with them.

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After much debate and discussions with several people I am ordering my PSS in the 275/345 set up for my ACR. Think this will be my best all around tire for driving back roads and highways.

msp282

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with the NITTO NT-5's (I think that is the model) and they are a dream compared to the original Cup tires that came on my 09 ACR. somehow I got almost 8k miles out of the cups but on a 40F morning I looped it in traffic going around a turn... luckily hitting no one and nothing..... the NITTO's are way more pleasant and predictable! :)

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So did you down size the fronts from 295 to 275?? I couldn't find 295 in the sport cups

OP
OP
A

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I went with 275s, they were cheaper than the bigger 285 option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang