sway bar disconnect?

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to disconnect my front sway bar for the track on Sunday, but I can't get it disconnected from the end links. Are both ends of the end links tapered like a tie rod or similar? I could easilly get the end like nuts off, but that's it.

Any iseas?

Thanks!!

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, they have a tapered fit. Try jacking up the lower control arm on the end of the sway bar and let the weight of the car help push it out. If that doesn't work you will need a hammer. You put the nut back on the end, loosely, to protect the threads and then you go at it.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The swaybar does not limit the front end from raising. You cannot just disconnect it without it interfering with a-arms etc. You must remove the whole thing. The only reason is to save the weight off the nose. I have quit removing mine except in the rare case I need the last .01 off my ET.

They are tapered and a tap on the bolt will do it....preferably with a brass hammer.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

please explain - I thought that if one front wheel starts to lift before the other (which is normal), the sway bar linkage limits the lift on the first wheel - limiting total rise.

OP
OP
K

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. After messing around with it for about 15 minutes or so, I figured that is was more trouble than it may be worth.