T/A: The RIGHT car at the RIGHT time

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Facts:
2) brake rotors - do not make the car stop quicker, maybe last longer, but remember the track pack brakes are the gen4 ACR brakes (enough said, no benefit)
The rotors are much more resistant to fade and have 15% more swept pad area. Both are big advantages for those pushing ******* the track, and that's why they are the ACR-X brakes (enough said, important benefit for some). Randy boiled the ZR1's carbon brake set-up but the TA's stood up. Some of us want or need the best brakes, and having them definitely boosts performance and driver confidence. Others may never need or want them...but one will likely want to argue their superiority further!

Value add: (impact is up for debate)
1) stiffer springs - great for some tracks, not for others
2) stiffer (solid sway bars) - same as above
3) modified two setting suspension - difficult to know dampening differences and gains

All of these are beyond your ability to debate as you don't have any test information. SRT engineers weren't constrained by the need for as compliant a street ride on the TA as the SRT and GTS, as was also the case with the ACR/ACR-X. I think we should give SRT racers and engineers a little credit here for what they've learned over the years, in specific testing on the Gen V, and for what they learned from the racing program this past year and were able to transfer to production. You calling the TA "an amazing marketing machine" is very telling of your biases. Can you list the improvements to the TA that were made between Randy's Laguna Seca Lap Record runs in a pre-production TA in Feb 2012 and the testing of the full production TA this past fall?

I have no faith in your ability to guess at the degree of impact of the different springs, bar and damper valving, or your opinions that are based on them. And while I respect one can have an opinion based on little more than a hunch, you should also accept that you just don't have any usable information to support one. As such, I won't debate your opinions further.

Last edited:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rotors are much more resistant to fade and have 15% more swept pad area. Both are big advantages for those pushing ******* the track, and that's why they are the ACR-X brakes (enough said, important benefit for some). Randy boiled the ZR1's carbon brake set-up but the TA's stood up. Some of us want or need the best brakes, and having them definitely boosts performance and driver confidence. Others may never need or want them...but one will likely want to argue their superiority further!

All of these are beyond your ability to debate as you don't have any test information. SRT engineers weren't constrained by the need for as compliant a street ride on the TA as the SRT and GTS, as was also the case with the ACR/ACR-X. I think we should give SRT racers and engineers a little credit here for what they've learned over the years, in specific testing on the Gen V, and for what they learned from the racing program this past year and were able to transfer to production. You calling the TA "an amazing marketing machine" is very telling of your biases. Can you list the improvements to the TA that were made between Randy's Laguna Seca Lap Record runs in a pre-production TA in Feb 2012 and the testing of the full production TA this past fall?

I have no faith in your ability to guess at the degree of impact of the different springs, bar and damper valving, or your opinions that are based on them. And while I respect one can have an opinion based on little more than a hunch, you should also accept that you just don't have any usable information to support one. As such, I won't debate your opinions further.

Bruce, the point is you have no ability to debate these as you have no idea either. Why do you state them as facts when they are not. The only DATA we have suggests it is minor at best, so why are you suggesting something more? That is my point. Do you have some data the rest of us don't have?

btw, they are not the ACR-X brakes. They are different units. They are similar, but do your research and you will know they are not the same. How do I know? I run the ACR-X brakes on my car. I actually do know the braking difference between the ACRX and the ACR brakes as I have run both. They might last longer, they might reduce fade after quite a while, but they do not brake better. Look at the Ralph videos you have pointed to and they will tell you the same. Yes, I love the bigger brakes, but lets not say they improved the comfort or feel.

All I am asking for is facts and I just pointed out the obvious items that are debatable. Sure, you can be a big fan. I am of all the models, but lets not go crazy like one is significantly better than the others unless we have data to point it out. If you can point out some facts (ie, what changes were made from pre-production TA to now) then please share, but don't get defensive. Again, in the end, I was asking for the facts on the latter three. Read the post again to see what I was asking.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that until one of the other availble OEM Viper variants betters the LS time of the preproduction TA when also driven by Randy that there is data to prove that the TA is materially better on a road course and only speculation on your part that it is not. It also seems to me on reading all of your posts that there seems to be a persistant agenda to take the wind out of the sails of the recent excitement about the Gen V engendered by the TA. Perhaps you did not intend for that impression to be given but it is there.

As far as I can tell, every magazine tester that has driven a non TA Gen V on a road course and a TA on a road course has unambiguously stated that the TA is the superior road course car. And since the magazines are not known to be irrationally exhuberant about Vipers, I think that the consistency of their views is additional proof of the TA's superiority on a road course.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, every magazine tester that has driven a non TA Gen V on a road course and a TA on a road course has unambiguously stated that the TA is the superior road course car.
Absolutely. That's clear in the feedback of reviewers, and particularly Randy's private comments and purchase advice for my personal track use and advanced skill level where he was completely unambiguous as to the TA definitely being the one to get for the track. That's a convincing metric to use rather than comparing the best hot lap times that he achieved as a pro racer whose paid to risk the car for the best time possible. Why? Because Randy pushes well past the confidence-challenging point where owners will not. An example would be the comments about how the rear of the Gen V feels unsettled over dips and bumps and when pushed into corners, giving the driver the impression that he is at the limit when in fact he is not. And the fear of breaking the rears loose when feeding in power on corner exit... and for that matter, the fear surrounding tracking the Viper in general. Even Ralph accused Randy, a pro racer, of being afraid of the car. So it really is all about driver confidence when tracking the Viper, and SRT struggled to work out at the limit handling to address it. I suspect that all three production Vipers track tested in the fall would have had a track alignment, and aero wouldn't have had any affect at all for much of the testing.

Those who want to determine the magnitude of the differences are out of luck unless they have sufficient skill and seat time behind the wheel of the different models, and trying to determine the amount of improvement that individual changes made when there were so many fundamental performance changes seems just as unlikely. I'd suggest buying the model they want based on features, intended use or price, and if you're one of those who want to maximize road course enjoyment, SRT has a comprehensive and tested package tailored just for you. Both Ralph and Randy knew I wanted a great track day car, but one that was also comfortable on the street for weekend use with my wife. Neither hesitated when they said "get the TA". Hey, maybe they never thought of just doing an alignment on one of the others!

:lmao: Bruce :rolaugh:

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting discussion guys, excellent points by many parties. I'll give you something to ponder. I've driven my GTS at Laguna Seca, and it is my opinion that if I had the carbon aero kit at the time, I would have run a good 1/2 second+ faster per lap, no question. Randy takes turn 1 (really just a kink in the main straight) at 140 mph in the TA. This is the corner he mentioned the Viper struggling with (in the GTS I believe). I did not attempt that speed because the ass end of my GTS was making small side slips. With aero, it would have been much more stable and I would have run faster. I consider myself a decently skilled driver, but not at Randy's level if course. But I'm fairly confident that aero alone would significantly improve the SRT and GTS on high speed corners. I do believe the TA would be the better track car and give higher driver confidence at most tracks, but verdict isn't in on how much better. :D

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from Homestead Speedway. Went down to look around a bit at the cars running in the Chin HPD track day. There was a Competition Coupe. Ended up doing four parade laps. Dropped back a few times to accelerate a bit. Low speed stuff but even at these speeds the car's capabilities start to show themselves. The TA handles better than my former Eibach/Moton/ACR front sway bar, corner balanced, road course suspension tuned Gen III and that car was quite capable on a road course.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Where did you get the information that Randy Pobst boiled the ZR1 brakes? When he tested the ZR1 and TA at laguna seca. He praised the ZR1 brakes, and said that the TA brakes could use more bite..

ZR1 at 8:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgJxgNSWtk

TA at 4:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa3l_UX77c

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And since that TA was preproduction maybe they now have more bite. I wish someone would let Randy use a production TA to use at LS to see if there is a difference. Any of you know him who have a TA? If so and your car is broken in, how about seeing if he would test it and give his impression of whether it is the same or has improved vis a vie the preproduction version.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. That's clear in the feedback of reviewers, and particularly Randy's private comments and purchase advice for my personal track use and advanced skill level where he was completely unambiguous as to the TA definitely being the one to get for the track. That's a convincing metric to use rather than comparing the best hot lap times that he achieved as a pro racer whose paid to risk the car for the best time possible. Why? Because Randy pushes well past the confidence-challenging point where owners will not. An example would be the comments about how the rear of the Gen V feels unsettled over dips and bumps and when pushed into corners, giving the driver the impression that he is at the limit when in fact he is not. And the fear of breaking the rears loose when feeding in power on corner exit... and for that matter, the fear surrounding tracking the Viper in general. Even Ralph accused Randy, a pro racer, of being afraid of the car. So it really is all about driver confidence when tracking the Viper, and SRT struggled to work out at the limit handling to address it. I suspect that all three production Vipers track tested in the fall would have had a track alignment, and aero wouldn't have had any affect at all for much of the testing.

Those who want to determine the magnitude of the differences are out of luck unless they have sufficient skill and seat time behind the wheel of the different models, and trying to determine the amount of improvement that individual changes made when there were so many fundamental performance changes seems just as unlikely. I'd suggest buying the model they want based on features, intended use or price, and if you're one of those who want to maximize road course enjoyment, SRT has a comprehensive and tested package tailored just for you. Both Ralph and Randy knew I wanted a great track day car, but one that was also comfortable on the street for weekend use with my wife. Neither hesitated when they said "get the TA". Hey, maybe they never thought of just doing an alignment on one of the others!

:lmao: Bruce :rolaugh:

I see, we are not supposed to debate things on the forums... The issues Randy states as confidence inspiring are greatly affected/improved by Aero and alignment. Do you disagree? Each car was stated to have their OEM alignment and only the TA has the aggressive track alignment. To assume the aero would have a significant difference is crazy. I did not say the TA is not an improvement, it is. I did not say it would beat a SRT or GTS with the same driver. What I said is with Aero and track alignment, they would be incredibly close. Do you disagree based upon all of the factual data that has been presented?

Ultimately what I am highlighting is all three cars are great, particularly if equipped with aero and track alignment, but I would hate to think someone was thinking by purchasing the TA that somehow they have an amazing track car and the other two models were not. Heck, put the MCS on the SRT model with track pack and Aero for 10k less and are you still going to say the TA is better? Point being, they are very close.

If you own a TA, I am not putting it down. I really am not as I think a great car and good collection of parts sitting on the shelf to apply to the car in a nice package. I am just getting set off when I see words like "significantly" better based upon info from the same magazine that showed the times as being very close.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are mistating that a bit. It is signficantly better because as the laps went on past two or three laps the differences would show up more and more based on the difference in the TA brakes without considering other factors. The MCS is aftermarket. It is not covered by warranty. Adding any aftermarket mods into the discussion is a different discussion. Also, the changes to the TA are not just off the shelf parts. As you know, there are quite a few changes which required that they be engineered, refined, tuned and tested as an organic whole. It was not just plug and play.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your statement implies the ACR brakes were only good for a couple of laps and then fall off where these new ones do not. Data?

Note, as stated before, I run both ACR and ACRX brakes. No difference I can tell 25min into a session other than the ACRX brakes generate more heat and maybe a slight better feel of modulation. They might be better min 25-30, but lets not suggest that now somehow the ACR brakes were dramatically different after a couple of laps.

Weren't the only new engineered items the slightly different spring rates and dampening settings. Solid swaybars, brakes, aero bits were all off the shelf items. Ralph himself states they were off the shelf bits, thus why they could put together so quickly.

Don't get me wrong, the car is very cool and I love it and so glad for the good press it receives. All good. 3 colors, numbered, CF bits, no options and then the persona as a track beast due to the items we are debating. Brilliant messaging and packaging of items for single purpose.

But if you think that translates into a car where you show up to the track and see another guy in a GTS with the trackpack wheels/brakes, aero, alignment, and same tires, you better hope you are the better driver because the cars will be close enough that it will be the driver that makes the difference, not the car. That is the greatness of all three models being great for this purpose.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get the information that Randy Pobst boiled the ZR1 brakes? When he tested the ZR1 and TA at laguna seca. He praised the ZR1 brakes, and said that the TA brakes could use more bite..

ZR1 at 8:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgJxgNSWtk

TA at 4:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa3l_UX77c

That ZR1 footage is obviously taken during the hot lap, or the ones leading up to it, and not after it. I'm not surprised MT didn't add that detail at the end as it wouldn't really help support their verdict.

This is what Mister Viper said in this thread about the brakes on each car... http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...nd-track-use...-better-brakes-vs-more-comfort

"What MotorTrend didn't tell you, by the way, was that the ZR1 boiled it's brake fluid during their earlier comparison test, and suffered significant brake fade as well. Journalistic oversight, apparently. Seriously.

As you suggest, a driver's perception of how a braking system 'performs' depends tremendously on how we are using it. The StopTech rotor kit provides a great lightweight, high performance, and very affordable brake kit with outstanding stopping ability. Randy Pobst was very impressed with the stopping power of the StopTech package in the 2013 Track Pack. He found himself often braking too early. These brakes also performed very well in the Viper 24-hour Endurance Racing Test at Nelson Ledges last autumn, averaging over 100mph (1200+ laps) on a very rough track with no issues. For a typical street driver, or occasional Track Day driver, the StopTech rotor is your package.

But, if you are truly an extreme user (and very few of us are), you will note moderate fade over a long haul on a road racing course with the StopTechs. The brakes NEVER, EVER go away, but they will fade. This means you can ALWAYS pull an ABS limit braking stop, but you will have to push a little harder on the pedal. The new for 2014 TA uses a heavier rotor package evolved from the ACR-X development, and for very extreme users, it will reduce this fade. But it also weighs more, so the car is carrying more rotating and unsprung inertia. Due in part to the brakes, the TA weighs about 50 lbs more than a 2013 track pack SRT."

I don't have a lot of confidence in many auto magazines to start with, and I think we can all agree that MT has really "stirred the ***" when it comes to the Gen V, and that SRT gave them some good reasons to go down that path in the beginning. Video editting can be done to give a good impression of a car, or a much lesser one. I wanted the unfiltered assessment directly from Randy, and a track friend of mine that races with him got that feedback from him for me. He confirmed the ZR1 brakes going off, not that I was ever considering that car.

The TA video above includes Randy`s comments following his 1:33 lap, and they tie in nicely with the conversation here about what changes to the Viper made the difference in the TA`s performance compared to the production SRT and GTS he tested on the same day. You`ll see his gut tells him it`s in the dampers, but I`m sure he would agree that its the culmination of a number of factors, as do I. I don`t know if the other models also had the aero package and a track alignment, and if this is ^part of the reason he chose to only mention dampers.

But what I take issue with in this thread is the suggestion that only two of the many changes to the TA is responsible for the improvement in handling, and that the TA is simply an SRT marketing ploy. There is no data or evidence to support that one individual`s harsh view. I`m a big fan of aero, and have experienced first hand what improvements to aero make at high speeds on my own track cars, but they`re obviously not a factor in reviews of lower speed track testing. I`ve been surprised how low the spring rates are in the Gen V Vipers, and would fully expect that the 20% increase in the TA over SRT would yield an improvement in handling on all of the tracks I`ve driven, and that sway bar and damper valving changes would be a part of suspension changes on a more track focused model. I also have experienced the significant impact of each of those suspension changes first hand, and used them to tune the handing of my track cars, along with track alignments and corner balancing. While no one suspension set-up will be optimized for all tracks, and a soft set-up would favor wet track performance, I`m very confident that SRT`s choice of stiffer suspension for their track model was based on serious testing. So I do know that each of the changes to components made on the TA can make very noticable improvement to the handling characteristics of a track car, and it makes sense that they would on the Viper as well.

As an aside, I don`t know how much this applies to the TA`s suspension tuning and ride quality, but I`ve been amazed at how much spring rates can be increased when combined with improved damper valving without street ride quality being adversely affected. I`ve been surprised at the very positive feedback about ride quality from buyers of the TA, and rather relieved. Where I consciously chose improved track handling over ride quality with the TA, it seems like SRT`s suspension efforts have really paid off. Looking forward to experiencing that first hand!

Bruce

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, very good thoughtful post that expressed your thoughts. I actually never said the dampers/spring rates did not improve the car, I just openly questioned how much. Of course, it is just debating items as no way to know unless the other variables were made consistent with the cars on the same day with the same driver.

Do you point on dampers/spring rates, completely agree and amazed of how higher quality units with higher spring rates can still produce an even better ride (ie MCS system), so I totally do get your point and agree.

I also agree with the braking statement you state above (which matched with my statements as well) that you won't notice a difference in the track day world of 20-30min sessions, but will for much longer sessions. Not really applicable to the uses we are describing for most for the car, but good description of the difference.

btw, the other two models did not have Aero or track alignment for Randy on that test day. Maybe that is why we were disagreeing so much. If you thought they did , then the biggest differences would be where you suggest. If you assume they did not, then I think my point of debate becomes more clear.

btw, I think something else we can agree on is it would be to get another professional driver to do the same comparisons just so everyone is not referring to Randy as the guy to quote. Hopefully by end of the summer, we will have enough people on here that have taken the cars to the tracks on the same days and even some members that have one of each to swap and share real life comparisons.

Hothonda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not my photo, but very good!

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang