T-Stat Question

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2009 ACR and was thinking about installing a 185 degree thermostat to help the engine run cooler during track use.

I had one installed in my previous track car which worked well and was wondering if the Viper's big V-10 would benefit from a similar set up or if the OEM thermostat is sufficient.

Any and all input is welcome.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.........Also have the SCT tune from Roe that turns the cooling fan on sooner.
About 180 if I remember correctly.

Changing the coolant every year at the beginning of the season. -whether it needs it or not.
Replace the radiator hoses every other year as well. -just because.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you drive in cold weather with a cooler thermostat with an 08-09 Model. It could go into Limp Mode. I use a 170 thermostat in our ACRX's, but do not use it on the street cars.

OP
OP
T

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
.........Also have the SCT tune from Roe that turns the cooling fan on sooner.
About 180 if I remember correctly.

Changing the coolant every year at the beginning of the season. -whether it needs it or not.
Replace the radiator hoses every other year as well. -just because.

Allan.....good information :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TRACKDAY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you drive in cold weather with a cooler thermostat with an 08-09 Model. It could go into Limp Mode. I use a 170 thermostat in our ACRX's, but do not use it on the street cars.

Dan.....I don't drive the car in the winter months. Would you recommend the 170 thermostat for an ACR that sees track use a few times a year?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2009 ACR and was thinking about installing a 185 degree thermostat to help the engine run cooler during track use.

I had one installed in my previous track car which worked well and was wondering if the Viper's big V-10 would benefit from a similar set up or if the OEM thermostat is sufficient.

Any and all input is welcome.

Your car already has a 185 thermostat. Leave it alone.