Take it to the track...whatever!

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thread was about how I'm getting tired of hearing 'take it to the track'...and then somebody jumped in wanted to buy something from Jon$5B...I was just trying to put them at ease. My banter with Kelly was just that...kidding around.

But understand this...I don't have to like anybody, no matter your experience with him and I don't like him!!!!!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The truth is, you will never get to experience the limits of a Viper on the street, and will never have the skills to do it anyway without some significant seat time on the track competing with more skilled drivers than yourself. ;)

PS-What the track offers is a 'safer' environment to test man and machine. It is a place where you can also find an Instructor to help you along if car control and speed are what you desire to learn. The 'more mature' members here recognize the wisdom of the track/instructor environment to get your skills and thrills, versus the street racer who risks the lives of others who didn't bargain for it (innocent bystanders, other drivers, passengers, law enforcement, etc....aka the Hogan's kid's nightmare). Nobody ever expects to wreck havoc, but trust me, if I drove the speeds on the street that I do on the track, I would be a downright menace. The same goes for you. The track is also more predictable. You won't come across drivers going the other direction with screaming kids in the back seat, or txt messaging and drifting into your lane as you approach at high rates of speed. A vehicle is considered a 'dangerous weapon' and a high performance car even more so, especially in the hands of a novice driver. Use caution, be smart. A club would be irresponsible if it voiced any other message. If a racing environment is what you seek, try National Auto Sport Association - nasaproracing.com. Have fun and be safe. The two can go hand in hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only track experience was at VOI 11 and I'm assuming that the instructor that I had knew what he was doing and knew the limits of my viper. I only got 1 run on the track, which was a little disappointing, but I did learn about apex points and that my viper can certainly go through curves a lot faster than I thought.

Do these instructors know the limits of cars like vipers or are they also learning while being in the passenger seat. I guess I'm asking that when I come out of my pocket to get tracking knowledge, does it always pay off? Where do the tracks get 'instructors'? Are they certified in some way? My instructor at VOI didn't say a whole lot, other than the one time when I got a little sideways coming out of a curve...'You entered that curve a little too fast.'

I don't really think that I'll be running any twisties out here in Colorado at the speeds that I was using on the track. I'm not seeking a racing environment...I just like to have fun with my viper...see original post...I was just wondering out loud whether this made me a bad person. :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper Days instructors have Viper experience, which is important because the pre-2001 Vipers aren't nanny cars. Cars built after 2012 won't matter since the government is forcing all cars to be the same.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive wrecked two viper with this so called spirited driveing...ive seen a z06 go sideways as well as an acr loose control....a gtr nearly side swipe a twin turbo japanese ride..just two weeks ago i saw a differant twin turbo japanese ride smack a wall at 100 mph...again with the spirited driving. luckily some how the driver and passenger only had minor scratches....

im far from a saint but it is a very dangerous game to play...reguardless of how goob you think you are as a driver you can be out on a seemingly dry night and go wot right were a sprinkler just drenched the road or some old ****** leaked oil....

be safe my viper brothers.....and if you just have to atleaste wait till late at night were you will only hurt your self on deserted roads

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was made primarily for the track whether it be a drag strip or road course. You cant squeeze the performance capabilities it really has on the street nor is it safe. Nearly all the official videos produced for the Viper shows some track action too. You will also learn more in a 3 day school than 40 years of driving on the street.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was made primarily for the track whether it be a drag strip or road course.

sorry but this is just not the case. its a STREET car, not a track car. cant argue with the rest of your post though. im sure a track day or 3 would serve all of us well but some of us have no desire whatesoever to track

the ACRX is a track car.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it makes you a bad person to be frustrated by hearing "take it to the track" - we all like to be able to do a little more (yes, even on the public roadways) than we would with our daily drivers.
I got the chance to take it to the track this September - 2 days at ViperDays at Pocono. I would never have tried to drive 160mph on any public road, so being able to do that was great. One of the best parts to come out of it was on the second day when it was raining out. Got to test the PS2's limits and feel the car progressively give at the front, the rear, and both... lots of laps, gradually testing a little more speed each time - only way to do it! Its another situation I could never replicate on any public road, so it was worth it.... BUT, back to your original point, it's not cheap to do track days, I don't imagine that I will be able to do it more than once each year, and I will continue to have fun on the street at 4/10ths.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to be a tracker to be a pro-track kind of guy. I don't think Warfang ever tracked his Viper but he was ******** and loved it when guys did road courses.

The alternative is the "Hey! Look at my shiney new 20s!" crowd.

There really isn't much in between.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't open things up in traffic. I will do interstate pulls when the road is clear. 60-160 is fun and only needs 4 seconds. I need lots of straight road to open it up. I plan on getting into road racing stuff as im getting bored with drag racing.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life, to answer your question, all instructors are not created equal. Most of them view the initial session as a time to show you the line on the track that you want to follow to get the best speed and maintain control. Many of them don't drive Vipers, but if a guy knows the track, that is valuable advice. I wasn't at VOI 11 and I don't know if it was indicative of a typical track instructional experience. I get it that you don't want to waste your money. You can go to High Plains Raceway in Byers (60 miles from Denver east on I-70) and pay $100 for a day of fun and learn from watching/following, etc.. You can't beat that. I would be glad to give you some free instruction, or do some drive and follow with you.

Let's face it, 'spirited' driving is to get the adrenaline rush it provides. I can tell you via personal experience (plenty of it, with Vettes, Porshas, Ferrari, Viper, bikes, snowmobiles, 4x4s, etc) that you will get ten times the adrenaline rush at the track because you have the opportunity to go balls out for 15-20 min at a time. You like to face off with other guys? The track is a constant face-off in the higher levels of driving. Nothing really like it that I can think of. I often think to myself 'its so much fun, how can it be legal?' LOL. Where can you do that on the street?

When you are emersed in the world of high performance driving, you see and hear of a lot of bad 'shunts.' Safety becomes an ever increasing concern as performance levels go up. I don't feel 'safe' driving spirited on the roads, there is just too much traffic and too many surprises. I want to know when I go around a corner at 100 mph that there isn't an obstruction on the other side. Flag workers give me that confidence. Knowing the track gives me that confidence. That just doesn't exist on the street. I only worry about the souls behind the wheel, and especially the souls in the other vehicles that don't bargain for the risk when you are out there on public roads. Make sure the road is vacant. If you can't see around a corner, assume there is a large rock or car in your lane. To assume it is clear is a fool's paradise. Maintain control (slow enough to safely avoid that rock or car) or you will be in for a 'shunt.' Shunts are NOT fun.

PS-do you like to work on Vipers? I could use an extra set of hands this afternoon! Come on up to E'green.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You like to face off with other guys? The track is a constant face-off in the higher levels of driving. Nothing really like it that I can think of.

That is a blast. I have friends that I meet up with and we chase each other around the track. 'Course they've all upgraded and I'm still putzin' around in my old 97 ****** so they're smokin' my *** these days. Gotta do some upgrades.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track is the only place I can think of where you can gradually and safely (mostly) test the limits of your driving skill and that of the Viper. I know that the Viper is a better car than I am a driver and I've been tracking them for 12 years. As stated above, there are corner workers that tell you when something is wrong ahead. There are safety crews that are immediately on the scene of any incident. You get neither on the street.

The track experience you got at VOI was not typical of a track day where you have 4-5 20 minute sessions. At VOI we got a couple of laps, only enough to give you a taste. You couldn't pass either so you were limited by the car and driver in front of you. If you do go to a track day look for an instructor that has experience in high horsepower cars like a Vette, Viper, or Porsche. Viper Days would be perfect but it isn't as cheap as some other venues. A good instructor will feel in the seat of their pants when you are doing things properly and they will give you immediate feedback when you aren't.

I just moved to Denver and I'm looking forward to hitting High Plains Raceway in the Spring. Hopefully the CO club will have some track events there.

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was 8 years ago that I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience and that changed my whole perception of street driving and real track driving. Sure it was stock car oval but you really get to understand the difference between the two.. It was the best $500 I ever spent and I loved it. Now that I have purchased my Viper and taken it to an open parking lot just to experience how easy it is to lose control of it there is no doubt that it would be very easy to lose control with unknown driving condition variables out there on the street. If you have not entered into a large empty parking lot off a main street at 30 - 40 MPH and tried to drift your car a little as you entered, you will quickly realize how easy it is to lose it. I am actually thankful for the stories I have read on this forum as I thought I was a good driver and that would not happen to me. I am very humbled and can say that this forum has probably saved me from spinning out on an exit or entrance ramp at excessive speed. You can easily be over confident with this car. This forum made me find out what my limits were in an empty parking lot. I am very confident of what my limitations are and have no desire to press them on the highway. Here in Michigan you are always rolling the dice when you drive fast due to the large amount of Deer, *** Holes, etc. But its not very hard to find an undeveloped paved subdivision for some recreational driving.

Drive safe and as Clint always said. "A mans got to know his limitations"

I fortunately have a large parking lot available to me at my place of employment where we do not work on weekends.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to think I was really enjoying my Vipers and other high performance vehicles on the street. "Spirited" driving and the alleged occasional test of acceleration were fun, exciting, and exhilarating. Or so I thought. After participating in a number of different legal forms of high speed driving like drag racing, standing mile, and road courses, I have to say in all honesty that anything I did in the past on the street pales in comparison. So when I encourage someone to "take it to the track", I'm not being preachy. I'm speaking from my own experience and simply want to see that person get a taste of what real "sprited" driving is. Even if it's the first and last time they're ever on a road course, they will learn something that just might save their butt on the street someday. :drive:

OP
OP
LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when I encourage someone to "take it to the track", I'm not being preachy. I'm speaking from my own experience and simply want to see that person get a taste of what real "sprited" driving is.

I think you hit on some of my frustration, the preaching gets old :2tu:.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep being yourself, don't worry about others opinions.

As far as the track goes, I did not do much track time either until I got my ACR. Now that I have been a few times, I really enjoy it. You can push the car harder on the track for many reasons. It has also taught me better about the differences between street and track driving. I know there is not a track near you, but if you ever get the chance, it is a lot of fun after you do it a few times (the first couple of times were nerve racking to me trying to learn).

No matter what just enjoy your Viper! :D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You don't have to be a tracker to be a pro-track kind of guy. I don't think Warfang ever tracked his Viper but he was ******** and loved it when guys did road courses.

The alternative is the "Hey! Look at my shiney new 20s!" crowd.

There really isn't much in between.

Unfortunately you will always run into guys like this that act like this if you don't track your car. That **** gets old too. Plenty of the "look at my new 20's crowd" have spent time on track with previous faster vehicles. I ran my cars for years on track and got sick of constantly fixing broken parts due to traction. It's great to have a car that looks great and works when I want to hit the back roads.

Learn car control and NEVER take anything for granted behind the wheel and enjoy yourself.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the cost of the tracking has come up a few times .... seems to me that it is less expensive than a couple of speeding tickets and if you were caught on the hwy at track speeds you wouldn't have a car or license to drive with.

I also think that I remember SlateEd passing me @ pocono :) ... a number of times ... like I was standing still... but it was my car on TV :) hard to beat that for coolness factor

scottmcc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you drive like this guy then you need some"preaching" or just the **** kicked out of you;

Z06 160 mph chase of Ford GT -- BullRun 2006 | Motorsports Video | broadbandsports.com

Herc

Being from Michigan and Driving that road (I-94) quite often, those boys were just lucky that day. At any moment and for no reason you can come up on traffic at a stand still. Typically it is road construction as that is one of the seasons we have here. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and road construction.

Traffic can be backed up for miles and when it does finally open up you see this deer grazing on the side of the highway that all the rubber neckers want to slow down and take a picture of, causing a two hour delay on the highway..
If those boys would have pulled up on a situation like that, that video would be in a court of law as someone would be suing on manslaughter charges.

I personally think both those drivers are idiots and I would tell that to thier face.. I'm Not Impressed!

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Being from Michigan and Driving that road (I-94) quite often, those boys were just lucky that day. At any moment and for no reason you can come up on traffic at a stand still. Typically it is road construction as that is one of the seasons we have here. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and road construction.

Traffic can be backed up for miles and when it does finally open up you see this deer grazing on the side of the highway that all the rubber neckers want to slow down and take a picture of, causing a two hour delay on the highway..
If those boys would have pulled up on a situation like that, that video would be in a court of law as someone would be suing on manslaughter charges.

I personally think both those drivers are idiots and I would tell that to thier face.. I'm Not Impressed!
Michigan roads ****! Too much salt in the southern areas. You are right about construction. Seems they are always working on the roads. :crazy2: I grew up in Traverse City and at least they use more sand than salt up that way.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the cost of the tracking has come up a few times

Yep, it has. Insurance is anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the costs, which is pretty ridiculous considering we all choose to track.

Some of the requirements the clubs enforce are hurting themselves too. New helmets every 5 years, new belts every 2 years, HANS, on board cameras, etc. The list gets pretty pricey quickly.