Taking car to dealer regarding A/C question.........

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My A/C is no longer blowing cold air. Would this be something that I could usually wait at the dealership for them to do? Or would I most likely have to leave the car with them for a while?

Thanks

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is definitely that time of year for this... It is _extremely_ easy to troubleshoot A/C problems if you are feeling brave and have $30 to spend...

1 - get an a/c fill kit for R134 from wallmart - $19
2 - get some R134 with compressor oil and UV dye - $4 / can (get 2)
3 - buy a black-light bulb - $2

fire up the car, hook up the a/c fill kit... turn the A/C on full blast, and empty the two cans into the A/C system. A/c will blow cold... I guarantee it. Now take the black light and look for leaks. If you find one, then take the car to the dealer to have them fix it _unless_ the leak is right at the valve where you add the A/C... then you can get a $3 tool to fix that.

You might not have any leaks, but odds are that (like the rest of us) the A/C coolant leaks at the compressor or at the valve...

Good luck!

JD

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would add to J. Dell's info... get the AC kit from Wal-Mart that includes the gauge (should be around $35). The kit comes with three cans of refrigerant/oil/sealer. Buy an extra can of the UV stuff. They also make a can of red dye/leak sealer (no refrigerant). On JD's car, we used both I think. We quickly saw where that leak was coming from, eh JD? Definitely worth the money to be able to quantify exactly how much/how fast you are leaking refrigerant.

My car is currently at the dealer having the A/C looked at. I tightened the Schrader valves, but it looks like something else is wrong :( Hopefully, it'll be covered under the Maxcare warranty...

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is definitely that time of year for this... It is _extremely_ easy to troubleshoot A/C problems if you are feeling brave and have $30 to spend...

1 - get an a/c fill kit for R134 from wallmart - $19
2 - get some R134 with compressor oil and UV dye - $4 / can (get 2)
3 - buy a black-light bulb - $2

fire up the car, hook up the a/c fill kit... turn the A/C on full blast, and empty the two cans into the A/C system. A/c will blow cold... I guarantee it. Now take the black light and look for leaks. If you find one, then take the car to the dealer to have them fix it _unless_ the leak is right at the valve where you add the A/C... then you can get a $3 tool to fix that.

You might not have any leaks, but odds are that (like the rest of us) the A/C coolant leaks at the compressor or at the valve...

Good luck!

JD

Hey Joseph thanks for taking the time to post this. Where abouts do you hook up the AC fill kit?

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my 94, a leak in the system. Spent all last summer recharging the system adding dye but could never find the leak. This year I took to the car to a friends shop, they charged the system and added a can of 134 stop leak. Something new I'm told. System works great now and doesn't appear to be leaking. And in the deep South at summer time AC is a necessity not an option.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where abouts do you hook up the AC fill kit?

Open the hood, and on the passenger side of the car, about a foot up from the sidesill, are two fill nozzles. One should have a blue cap with "L" written on it (low pressure), and the other a black cap that is the high pressure port.

The quick disconnect fill kit from Wal-Mart only fits one nozzle.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You fill the blue, low pressure side. Using the kit, you'll want to attach the quick disconnect and get a pressure reading with the car running and the AC on full blast. The pressure it should be at depends on the ambient temperature (should be in the instruction manual). What's cool about the kit is that you can screw the can onto it, then screw the plunger in to burst the seal. After the seal is burst, unscrew the plunger (but DON'T unscrew the can) to release the contents. You'll want to shake the can first, and hold it upside down while it's filling the compressor. If you are nearly full, you can screw the plunger down, which seals the can. Then, you can remove the quick disconnects, which will release the pressure in the kit's fill lines. Then, plug the Q/D's back in, and you'll get a true pressure reading. If you need more refrigerant, just unscrew the plunger to release a new stream of refrigerant into it. The plunger has a check valve in it which keeps the compressor from putting refrigerant back into an empty can.