Tansmission Shaft Pilot Bearing??

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planning to replace the clutch/throwout bearing with a LUK OEM, Fidanza flywheel, new slave cylinder. Does anyone feel that the transmission shaft pilot bearing needs to be replaced? It seems as if this would be a good time to do this since everything else is being swapted out. Car has 38k miles. :dunno:

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would and did when I replaced the slave, clutch, and flywheel in my 99 at 20,000 miles. Mine was still in decent condition, but you're already there. Just do it or you'll need to tear it down later to replace it.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would and did when I replaced the slave, clutch, and flywheel in my 99 at 20,000 miles. Mine was still in decent condition, but you're already there. Just do it or you'll need to tear it down later to replace it.

Same here. I know that if I didn't do it; my luck is that it would go bad later. I think that is rare; but, it seemed like cheap insurance to replace it.

If you "rent" (for free if you return it) the tool from Autozone; it is pretty easy.
(Blind hole puller set OEM# 271228)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get an ebay Luk clutch kit it may come with a steel sleeve type bearing or the factory roller bearing type. Use the roller bearing type even if you have to get it from the dealer. Sounds like you have all this under control but I have a full blown tranny R&R DIY with pics at the VA site. Just search my threads there.

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dave6666's article is very thorough. Even if you have done clutch jobs before, the Viper specific information is very useful. He covers the tools you'll need and a few things to watch out for. The article made things very easy for me when I did this job. Thanks dave6666.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planning to replace the clutch/throwout bearing with a LUK OEM, Fidanza flywheel, new slave cylinder. Does anyone feel that the transmission shaft pilot bearing needs to be replaced? It seems as if this would be a good time to do this since everything else is being swapted out. Car has 38k miles. :dunno:

Without a doubt, change the pilot shaft bearing. It's easy and will save you big down the road. Usually comes with a clutch kit, if not spend the few bucks to buy it. Always, always, always change it, even if it's good right at this moment. That's the whole idea, you don't want a failure here.

--FQB

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here are some tips:

Always replace the pilot bearing and use the factory one, not the one that comes with the clutch kit.
The factory bearing has a seal to keep water from entering the bearing and drying out. It is also supplied with a lubricant that does not dry out. Many a cheap pilot bearing has ruined a crankshaft.

Always replace the hydraulic slave cylinder. The throw-out bearing wears grooves in the slave shaft, not worth risking a problem. It would be a shame to have to go back in to replace a bad slave.

Never turn the flywheel. If it has hot spots replace it. If the hot spots cannot be felt with your finger nail then use some 500 grit sandpaper to clean it up. Wash the surface with soapy water.

Always replace the flywheel bolts if you remove the flywheel and clean the surface on the back of the crankshaft. The bolts can stretch and hit the rear main cap, causing some noise and depositing metal into the engine.

Always repalce the driveshaft straps and bolts, they are one time use. If you do not, you could lose a driveshaft down the road.

Bleed the cltch hydraulic system with a pressure bleeder and DOT 4 fluid.

Hope this helps.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the slave cylinder shaft is not grooved you can clean it, grease it and replace the bearing. But best to replace it and you will only need worry about it on the next clutch change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather