Tar / asphalt removal?

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got some asphalt splatter on the side sills and paint behind the front wheels from an unavoidable road repaving incident. I saw a couple of products that promise removal and no damage to the clearcoat at the local auto place (spray-ons and aerosols - supposed to spray it on and then wait 60 seconds before rinsing, repeat if necessary). Do I trust them? :) Any other suggestions for removal?

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Mj,,Meguires makes a paint "cleaner" not the #6 "cleaner/wax" which i use after the cleaner. works GREAT,,, then use #6 then (black bottle) Gold Class as a final coat,,,, then you can " Shave " using your door panel ,,, no bath room mirror needed ;) oh yea,,, micro fiber towels only

:usa::usa::usa:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD-40. The wonder tonic for everything. Works wonders as a wasp and bee killer too.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a bad WD-40 experience when someone sprayed it all over my first hot ride (some 7 year old thugs applied it liberally to my banana seat & bicycle with chromed 18" wheels when I was in kindergarten. It still chokes me up just a little thinking about it...)

But seeing how you're all on the internet saying it's good, and everything I read on the internet is true, I'll give it a shot.

Sounds like no one thinks the clearcoat is in danger as long as I don't take a hammer and chisel to it.

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Scott,, Meguires,, in a red bottle,, says "Step 1 in a 3 step system" "Deep Crystal System" " PAINT CLEANER" 16 fl oz
on the back of the bottle it has A3016 i am not sure if thats the product # or not..
The #6 is in a beige bottle. it says #6 on the front of the bottle. it is NOT the same as the red bottle that says "cleaner/wax" red one isnt as good

3rd step " GOLD CLASS" in a black bottle

if you cant find it,,,,PM me and i'll send you all 3 bottles and then you can send me a check

John/VIPERUSA

VIPERUSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Scott,, if you go back to the Meguires site that you posted,,,

click on-- "clean and prep " itts the red bottle ,, on the bottom row,,,in the middle,, thats the "cleaner" you should try. you can also use it on the whole car,, its VERY easy to use and makes the nicest car look alot better. i'm not a rep,, i've just tried every thing for the last "many" years,, Meguires is a professional wax,, and if you try it you will know why. i have a 06 300c w/30,000 miles,,it looks better today than it did the day i picked it up,,also a 02 sebring coupe 5/spd,, also white, and again, better today than the day i picked it up.. its the ONLY thing i will use on my black 03. hope this helped, and again, if you need any thing,,pm me

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another great use for WD-40 is to spray it on your wheel wells. Makes them nice and dark, and looking like new. They also clean up easier for the next time as dirt just rinses off.

Be careful not to spray it on your brakes or tires.

OP
OP
S

scottcot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wound up using the can of Stone Tarminator that I had, which looks and smells a lot of WD-40 ;)

It worked great, and now that I've finished a complete detailing I'll be trying some other products next time (like the Meguiars' paint cleaner recommended above) to see if I can fix some problems I'm seeing (e.g., really persistent water spots).

I got done with the carnuba late, late last night (it was hot, I wasn't sleeping anytime soon) and frankly, I was a little bit disappointed with the pay-off. My paint is in pretty good condition except for some rock chips in the usual places, so when I just washed it previously it looked good and I could see my nose hairs if I looked closely. But after all my detailing effort I was expecting a religous experience :) It doesn't look much different.

I can see this will become another obsession. I'll have to make room on my shelf. Er, shelves.

SLICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got done with the carnuba late, late last night (it was hot, I wasn't sleeping anytime soon) and frankly, I was a little bit disappointed with the pay-off. My paint is in pretty good condition except for some rock chips in the usual places, so when I just washed it previously it looked good and I could see my nose hairs if I looked closely. But after all my detailing effort I was expecting a religous experience :) It doesn't look much different.

I can see this will become another obsession. I'll have to make room on my shelf. Er, shelves.

You should have a good base before you start with a carnuaba product .

i get this reflection out of mine :

You must be registered for see images attach