Tell me the scan tool to use for viewing STFT and LTFT

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to log and/or view more data than that provided or accessable with my VEC II. For example, I'd like to view: STFT, LTFT, Spark Timing, IAT, TPS volts, oil and water temperature, etc...

It would be great to see the timing table or delivered timing. Then if I could log it, along with load/rpm I could 'rough in' a timing table. I am aware I can tie some of the above into the VEC, but I obviously want to drill down a notch or two for more detail...and log more sensors than the VEC has free inputs.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the info on the scan tool you use, or opinions on an affordable model. I was thinking of AutoTap or Ease. Any others? And want to confirm it can read beyond the generic pids/codes and pick up the enhanced Viper specific data.

Or if I could borrow one for a couple of weeks? In return, I'd share as much information as I could read :rolleyes:

Thanks

Rob
2002 GTS - VECII, TNT, Bullets, no cats, rear seat option (super rare), fresh air.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the ELM327 scan tool and I'll start logging with it this weekend. It does all you need and then some (as advertised...Hummm). Laptop-based so I can toggle between my VEC and ODB-II data streams.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the EASE and do not like it. Very non-intuitive.

I used Autotap in my LS-1 days and was much happier with it. I am thinking of going back to it.
ViperBling - the lack of compatable software for the Viper *****. We had it good with the LS1s. Nothing like HPTuners, EFILive, LS1Edit, Autotap etc.....

EllowViper - Please be sure to let us know how it goes. Specifically, can you view your fuel trims 'real time' and static?

Thanks !

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That innovate setup looks awesome
but, unless you are a racer, why would you need to have that installed in your car to view all the time?
those readings are really only needed when tuning
cool idea though :D

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering this one:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/OpenTune.pdf

I have several Innovate products already that will interface with the OT-1. It datalogs everything.

Wow...thanks for the link :headbang:.

I've been hunting the net for a couple weeks looking for a good OBDII scanner, reasonably priced....and from a known company. This OT-1 is, by far, the best bang for the buck. I'll give them a ring in the morning, as I would like to know if it will also pick-up/log 'enhanced' parameters. Nevertheless, since the STFT and LTFT are part of the general parameters, unless I find something better in the next week or two, it looks like this will be the one to buy.

BTW - did you see the site's reference to an article in a magazine that tested various widebands...good info to know.

Rob
2002 GTS - Enhanced by VECII and Texas Nitrous
Technology !!!

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a Mindreader II for universal logging, no instruction manual, no definitions, no way to interpret the data. $800. "Universal" but needs a $160 adapter to plug into Stealth. Not impressed. It may be a good item, but I'd need an istruction manual or a course to learn how to use it. I do use it to scan and erase codes.

Bought an AEM UEGO wideband guage kit and hooked it into the Vec 2. ($240)

Ted

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new ELM327 works OK. I can get LTFT, STFT, MAP, etc but can't log or clear codes. Witht he supplied software, it just basically lets me view live data. I'm going to get some freeware downloads that use the ELM and see what else I can get it to do. Cheap, but it works and is compatable with a lot of software out there.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FYI, I have a BRAND NEW OT-1 sitting in the box. I opened it, installed the software, but have not actually used it. If anyone wants it, let me know and we'll work something out. I am waiting for a new combined software/hardware/wideband setup coming out soon, so I wont need this anyway... though that unit is probably a bit extreme for most guys on here as it runs about a grand, so the OT-1 is a good option to have.

OP
OP
P

PowerKraus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just downloaded the below freeware. It has all the functions you are looking for. I'll see if it syncs-up with my ELM reader.
OBDII Diagnostic ScanTools and code-readers

ellowViper - Shoot me some feedback on the freeware/OBDII reader. If you can, do a screen shot of the STFT or LTFT as read from your buggy. Funny thing is I also download the same freeware you mentioned. And you are right, I think it fits the bill for what I need. so we just need to confirm your 'reader' properly speaks "ViperPCM to Freeware language", then we have a 'go' for a relatively cheap price.

Viperspecialty - Shoot me a pm or e-mail and your price. I may be interested. As of now, the OT-1 is my first choice, but EllowViper may have a good alternative.

RTTTTed - In trying to log my UEGO into the VEC, right now all I can do is record the volts, then compare the volts to the 'hard copy' conversion table supplied with the unit. Have you updated your vec log settings to display the actual AFR?

Thanks all !:usa:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,
A lot of the freeware are just demo versions of their commercial product. So I'm not having any luck getting something for nothing!! The freeware I just tried requires their "BR" ODB interface and does not work with the ELM327 interface. It figures. A few months ago I was looking at the Palmer Performace software PCMSCAN - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. , but it costs $99.00 and figured I'd see if I could find something cheaper. I guess I'm sort of doing the same thing you are...but I might have to bite the bullet and get a commercial solution. Atleast Palmer Performance stipulates ELM327 compatability. I love the virtual dragstrip and dyno feature!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960