Temperature gauge off the chart!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving in this morning, nearly to work, I notice my temperature gauge is pegged to the max! I pull into work, turn off the car, pop the hood, and see no signs of sprayed out radiator fluid, nor the typical sickly sweet smell. The car seemed fine in all other respects. What could the problem be?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
what's the temp gauge show after the car is shut off for an hour?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did an edit above, I had said "now" rather than "no" - I saw NO fluids!

I was going to go start the car again soon and see what happens upon startup.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a sensor glitch. I've seen and had this happen before. Keep an eye on it BUT BE CAREFUL.. If you don't see any overheating clues (fluid, smell, spraying, etc)and it does it again, replace the sensor in the head(?) that reads the coolant temp. :2tu:

GErald

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went out and started the car again, and the gauge shoots immediately the the far right, pegged to the max. It does this even without starting the car, just turning the key two clicks, right before turning to ignition. It doesn't seem to act like an overheating car, which I've experienced in the past, so maybe it is a sensor glitch as has been mentioned? Presumably this is covered by the max care extended warranty?

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. if that thing was really pegged you would know it one way or another. Look into getting the sending unit replaced.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's involved in this repair? Is this something truly simple that I can just get the part sent to me and install in a couple minutes or what?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
5-10 minute fix. Real easy. Sensor is up front and you may to remove the airfilter box, but no biggie...plug or screw and play. Where's my DVD?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5-10 minute fix. Real easy. Sensor is up front and you may to remove the airfilter box, but no biggie...plug or screw and play. Where's my DVD?

PM PaViper about your DVD, I got mine!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
First, while engine is COLD, and while gauge is PEGGED, unplug the sensor and make sure the gauge drops to Zero. This will ensure it is indeed the sensor, and not grounded wiring somewhere. If it is the sensor:

-Buy a new Coolant temp sensor (less than 50 bucks if I recall)
-buy/borrow a torque wrench and a 1" deep socket w/extensions- if you dont have them already
-Make sure engine is ICE cold
-pull hoses and wiring out of the way on the driver side front of enging head, directly under the throttle body on the Driver side
-pop off electrical connector
-unscrew sensor
-reinstall new sensor, and Torque to (? Will check when I get home)
-plug in wiring, and check to make sure you have no leaks after starting the engine and letting it come to temp. check function of gauge, you should be good to go. Top off coolant if necessary after the engine cools back down.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to steal the thread, but on a related topic. What is the "normal" operating temperture on a stock Viper? I have noticed on mine that if I am stopped at a light the temp really starts inching up pretty quick. And this is in the winter. In the hot summer it must really heat up. Normal?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJon, since the fan is electric, the coolant temperature will rise and fall as the fan turns on and off. It's not like cars where the fan was attached to a pulley and was always running as some percentage of engine speed. Normal would be needle cycling between straight up to 3/4.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's either a broken thermostat that is giving the wrong output, or in worse case it could be your waterpumb that isn't working properly.
But if you have warranty, don't worry. It's all covered!

This was the case with my car!

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, while engine is COLD, and while gauge is PEGGED, unplug the sensor and make sure the gauge drops to Zero. This will ensure it is indeed the sensor, and not grounded wiring somewhere. If it is the sensor:

-Buy a new Coolant temp sensor (less than 50 bucks if I recall)
-buy/borrow a torque wrench and a 1" deep socket w/extensions- if you dont have them already
-Make sure engine is ICE cold
-pull hoses and wiring out of the way on the driver side front of enging head, directly under the throttle body on the Driver side
-pop off electrical connector
-unscrew sensor
-reinstall new sensor, and Torque to (? Will check when I get home)
-plug in wiring, and check to make sure you have no leaks after starting the engine and letting it come to temp. check function of gauge, you should be good to go. Top off coolant if necessary after the engine cools back down.

Thanks, but I think that's enough that I'll just get it done under warranty!