temperature gauge pegged all the time

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cold or hot the temperature gauge stays pegged. It only drops when the key switch is turned off. This happened all of a sudden. Acts like a short. Does anyone have any ideas where to start? Melted wire, bad sensor, ect... This is on a 1998 genII GTS.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, I thought I was the only one that doesn't sleep....you don't have a spare guage to hook up to it do you, ot try your guage hooked to another vehicle

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Temp sensor front left head.......
They get a short and make the gauge read max all the time...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will troubleshoot this for free. Please leave your car at Wendy's with the keys under the mat. Also, leave a note in the cup holder with a return drop off point.

I am very detail oriented. You will not be unhappy.

:D

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:

I found the sensor, pulled the connector off and the gauge dropped. Well the sensor costs anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on who you buy it from. Part number 212467 ACDELCO.

Maybe now is the time to upgrade my gauge with a good aftermarket one.

QUESTION?
Does this coolant sensor give information to the ECU to run the engine properly? If so I can not eliminate it.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My relationships allow a little more freedom than most. Sorry to hear about your issues Baz.

You must be registered for see images

At least you get to go outside LOL and keep warm .......

Glad its an easy fix on the temp gauge...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

I found the sensor, pulled the connector off and the gauge dropped. Well the sensor costs anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on who you buy it from. Part number 212467 ACDELCO.

Maybe now is the time to upgrade my gauge with a good aftermarket one.

QUESTION?
Does this coolant sensor give information to the ECU to run the engine properly? If so I can not eliminate it.

There are three temperature sensors. One for the gauge, one for the red idiot light and one for the ECU. Even if the gauge sensor failed, the ECU is looking at another one to operate the engine. I'm cheap, so my follow on comment is that buying a cheap sensor for the gauge is OK. The gauge readings may be a little different (slightly higher or lower) than before, but the gauge is only to see trends and changes, not the absolute number anyway. I've used an elaborate engine diagnostic code reader in the past that showed what each sensor was reading and they are different by 10F-15F anyway. Most of that were variations during thermostat cycling - one end gets hotter or colder before the other (in my Gen 1.) I'd buy the OEM for the ECU sensor, of course.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are three temperature sensors. One for the gauge, one for the red idiot light and one for the ECU. Even if the gauge sensor failed, the ECU is looking at another one to operate the engine. I'm cheap, so my follow on comment is that buying a cheap sensor for the gauge is OK. The gauge readings may be a little different (slightly higher or lower) than before, but the gauge is only to see trends and changes, not the absolute number anyway. I've used an elaborate engine diagnostic code reader in the past that showed what each sensor was reading and they are different by 10F-15F anyway. Most of that were variations during thermostat cycling - one end gets hotter or colder before the other (in my Gen 1.) I'd buy the OEM for the ECU sensor, of course.

Tom,

Good info, do you know the location of all three and the function of each in their location?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen 1, where the thermostat is in the back - your Gen 2 has the thermostat in the front. I'm not sure I can help you. If you have the electronic version of the parts (or service) manual it should give you a picture that would help.

For some reason the mopar.com/viper web page is down. That was where all the manuals could be downloaded.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason the mopar.com/viper web page is down. That was where all the manuals could be downloaded.

Dodge probably found out that they were accidentally providing an unpaid service to their customers. I haven't been able to access those manuals for a while now.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge probably found out that they were accidentally providing an unpaid service to their customers. I haven't been able to access those manuals for a while now.

Sounds like something the membership should be able to get from the viperclub.org site...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think many people have copies of the manuals (me, too) but depending on the year the size is sometimes over 10Mb, which may disallow emailing them. The first one for Gen 1s is almost 30Mb.

The server thing would be best - I'm sure the admin folks could even set it up as viewable online so downloads aren't needed.

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep my sensor went earlier this year, I got my new one from chuck. Best price and fast delivery!

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the end of this story. It is fixed and yes it was the coolant sensor. Good call Baz. Thank you Chuck for sending me that sensor at a great price. You guys always got my back.

Now why doesn't anything go easy on these cars. All I had to do is screw out the old sensor and screw in the new one. But NOOO... There is a corner of the power steering bracket in the way. If you put a socket on the sensor it rubs the bracket. Now your socket is crooked and you have a real good chance of breaking the sensor housing. Yes, see pictures below. No big deal it was the old sensor. Take notice how I cut that stupid corner off. This allowed me the clearance I needed for the socket. This way I know the sensor is going in strait and I have no chance of breaking the new sensor. Job complete and as Chuck told me it threw a code and I cleared the code and all is great! Job complete.:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta admire a guy that aint afraid to take a sawsall to his car:omg:

Good job Bob...now maybe you can sleep at night

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone ever steals your car, you can now identify it.

Not to be funny, but for a guy with tools (big ones) would a crow's foot have worked?

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
would a crow's foot have worked?

I tried but there was not enough clearance. The nut size is 1 inch. Using a 1 inch crows foot does not give much movement. Maybe 60 degrees in turn not to mention pinching the wire loom. Very painful. For me anyway. Good idea though.

Tom,

Thank you for all the information on the sensors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang