Terminology...What Does This Mean?

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about a few mods and some more hp :) and been doing some research and had some questions? I know what most mean, but figured I may help someone else out. So, at the risk of sounding stupid :D

What does _____mean?

Mopar Computer
Mopar Controller
Venom Controller
PCM
ECU
CEL
Drone

Thanks

Ron

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first five are all basically the same thing, the computer that controls the engine and gets various inputs from from all parts of the car. The Mopar Controller (computer) is a factory performance modified version of the factory computer. It essentially allows the engine to make additional power by changing certain parameters. It does this by narrowing the certain parameters of use, like you should use 93 octane fuel and some additional external accompanying components (like exhaust). Not exactly shure if the "Venom" controller is an aftermarket version of the Mopar unit or just another tag for the Mopar unit.

As far as I know a "CEL" means "check engine light"

"Drone" is something you hope to never experience. It's a boomy resonance that you hear particularly at low engine RPM and part throttle application. It's something you'll never experience with the stock exhaust, but is common with most (not all) aftermarket exhaust systems or backyard modifications.

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Cam.

Now, the mopar controller, do they have one for the gen 4 cars? Does it have a different air / fuel mixture? After puting my car on a dyno, the tech said it was running really rich, about 10.4 / 1. BTW 522 rwhp

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the "Mopar Controller" is Gen 4 ONLY. Yes, it will change all the engine parameters. If you search, you'll find several long threads of info and comments.

Just be aware that it will also cause failure (if not swapped out) for emissions testing in several states. NY and NJ for sure. I'd think CA too.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM = Power Control Module (engine computer)
ECU = Engine Control Unit (engine computer)
CEL = Check Engine Light (as City mentioned)

There's also VEC, and short forms for other engine computer modifiers...but those are generally prior to GEN 4 Vipers.

Regards,
Aaron