Texas does it again... Hang'em high...

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas does it again... Hang\'em high...

Texas just passed a points system on our drivers license. It just got a lot more expensive to speed (and for the street racers - especially). Although I agree with the drunk drivers increase (as much as $2,500 per year to just keep your license) - the other stuff is just plain crazy...

Be ready to start paying a surcharge "JUST TO KEEP YOUR LICENSE" for 3 years if you get more than 6 points on your license. And get this, if you have a Texas drivers license but get tickets in other states - it counts on your Texas points.

Here's the breakdown...

As for the (stupid) points system:
<font color="blue">Starting September 1, Texas is implementing the points system for traffic violations. Drivers who get 6 points on their records within 3 years will have to fork out $100 and $25 for each additional point to keep their drivers license:
2 points for a moving violation conviction (Class C Misdemeanor) in Texas or that of another state.

3 points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or another state that resulted in a vehicle crash.

Points will not be assigned for speeding less than 10% over the posted limit or seat belt convictions.</font>

As for street racing:

<font color="blue">HB 1326 automatically suspends for one year the driver license of anyone convicted of illegally racing on a public roadway. Before the license can be reinstated, the driver would have to complete 10 hours of community service. The punishment for illegal racing increases to a Class B misdemeanor. The law also increases the punishment for drivers who are racing drunk, who have open containers of alcohol in the vehicle when racing, who seriously injure or kill someone during the race or who have been convicted multiple times of illegal racing. Those offenses range from a Class A misdemeanor to a second-degree felony. </font>

And the guys who have fancy digital disc displays on the radio - it's now illegal in Texas:

<font color="blue">Having a video display that is visible from the driver’s seat is illegal. SB 209 expands the definition of video receiving equipment to include digital videodisc players, videocassette players or similar equipment. This equipment may be used only if it is located so that the video display is not visible from the operator’s seat. </font>

<font color="red">Big Brother is watching...</font>

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Texas does it again... Hang\'em high...

Once again I'm glad I live in the backward state of Arkansas

Bill

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What the hell??? Does that mean the 7 series BMW is illegal? Or is it only if you can watch tv/dvd etc?

Hey, at least you can buy your points back.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Texas doesn't have the authority or jurisdiction to make or enforce laws like that. That's USDOT approved OEM equipment. Sorry, but they trump TX.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey, at least you can buy your points back.

I don't think you get to buy your points back. It's basically a 36 month - 3 year - penalty for having more than 6 points.

6 points = an additional $100 fine per year for 3 years to "just keep your license"

It's $25 for every point after that. You don't get to buy the points down, you pay the fine based on the total points for 3 years.

At least that's how I'm reading the statement...

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Texas doesn't have the authority or jurisdiction to make or enforce laws like that. That's USDOT approved OEM equipment. Sorry, but they trump TX.

Yeah - only for OEM equipment. But I've seen a lot of digital display radios, and disc players that would fail this law... especially Viper's with digital display radios and such...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I keep hearing that Michigan is also looking into the $ penalty system for points. Time for a constitutional challenge. There has to be something about it that is unconstitutional.

For Michigan it sounds like a way for the state to cash in on the ticket cash cow. Wonder how that will affect the ability to reduce the points in court when the court recognizes there is a long term state income benefit for not reducing the points.

Come on Texans get that law repealed so other states do not follow the lead.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I keep hearing that Michigan is also looking into the $ penalty system for points. Time for a constitutional challenge. There has to be something about it that is unconstitutional.

For Michigan it sounds like a way for the state to cash in on the ticket cash cow. Wonder how that will affect the ability to reduce the points in court when the court recognizes there is a long term state income benefit for not reducing the points.

Come on Texans get that law repealed so other states do not follow the lead.

That's a load of BS to get charged like that. They're just trying to restructure their method to be like insurance companies in order to get more $. But the point is, you pay your fine at the time of conviction, so what's the point of the added fines? You guessed it, more $ for the state, and who better to screw than the "criminals", i.e., the average citizen. I will not be surprised to see many states take this approach in the future.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

This is just one of many ways for the state to increase revenue. All states are facing deficits and fiscal crisis...look at CA. You won't get this law nixed...it's about the economy. There will be many more state enacted revenue generating laws and state tax increases to come. Cops will be pushed to issue as many tickets as possible. Forget about crime prevention...that costs states money...arrest...investigation...court...prison. Protect yourself...nobody else is going to do it.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can have GPS, or a vehicle monitoring device such as a laptop with autotap. Just not video or games.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper, is this $hit for real? I mean so if I am driving through Texas, in a Viper or AMC Pacer, and I have a Digital Face CD player, I can get fined / busted?

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

how do we stop this kind of nonsense ??? seriously this is an outrage against our freedom !!

Who approved this crap - certainly not the voters

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is insane. There isn't an epidemic of people getting killed street racing or speeding. They just make laws to so it looks like they're doing something.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, but if you get 100 points, and you pay the $, you still don't lose your licence right? That's what I mean by "buy em back". Over here, you get 12 points in any 3 year period, you lose it. They hand them out in 3's, 4's and 6's mostly. About half the people I know have, at some stage, driven with a suspended licence because of this.

The fines you get with each one are also out of control here, and they have speed cameras hidden everywhere. Don't let it get this way!! Over here, people don't contact their local government representative and complain, so the government just screws us.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper, is this $hit for real? I mean so if I am driving through Texas, in a Viper or AMC Pacer, and I have a Digital Face CD player, I can get fined / busted?

Yup - that's what the new law says to my understanding...

Just depends on whether they (the police) want to enforce it or not...

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, but if you get 100 points, and you pay the $, you still don't lose your licence right? That's what I mean by "buy em back". Over here, you get 12 points in any 3 year period, you lose it. They hand them out in 3's, 4's and 6's mostly. About half the people I know have, at some stage, driven with a suspended licence because of this.

I'm not sure about the suspension stuff. The new law only talks about having to pay the penalty to "keep" your license. If you don't pay - you lose it. It talks pretty ******* the DWI - $1000 for the first and $1500 for the second cummulative.

BUT - there is also wording about instant suspension for a year etc... That would leave me to believe that you would lose your license for a year and then have to pay the "penalty" costs to have your license back for 3 years...

I.E. DWI - lose license for a year. Pay $1000 per year for 3 years to get it back (AFTER the first year is over during the suspension).

Anybody out there read it any differently?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure the TX law has something about getting your license suspended after accumulating "X" # of points, pretty standard stuff...

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Texas is hard strapped for cash and this is a hidden tax where the politicians can say that they did not actually raise our taxes, more BS.
I think that I might send them $500.00 and say "credit my account 4 tickets"
At least in Texas where judges get elected we can pay our way out of tickets by donating to the Attorney that buys the judge.

Reaction score

It is a shame that Texas doesn't allow Gambling. I think that would more than solve some of the tax issues. I am glad there are so many good lawyers in Houston.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok I guess I am the only one. I don't see the problem. I have had high performance cars all my life ( driving nearly 30 years) and if you have twelve points, I don't want you on the road with me. Racing? Take it to the track. Yes I have driven "enthusiastically" on the street, and if I f'd up that bad to have that many points (6+) I'd expect to pay the price. Really no different than increased insurance premiums (increased pay for the privilege to drive).

Without knowing it at the time, I lit up my tires, right next to a cop, at a red light. (see my avatar) The light turned green and the cop pulled me over immediately. I paid the price on that to be sure. No bitchingg from me. Do the crime, do the time.

Drunk? punish(fine) as severely as possible, and lose your car. Yes I know the argument, unequal value of the car=unequal punishment(fine). So what you're drunk!

Video Equipment, have you seen these ricer cars? Video games and movies visible to the driver is a bad idea that no-one can justify.

Points reciprocation from state to state has been going on for a long time here in Delaware. I just assumed it was nationwide.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, this has been pending for a few months.

Sept 1 was the first day. :(

I pretty much had my last street race last week. Didn't do much of it to begin with but now and then I'd play with someone if I was comfortable with the conditions (no passengers, no traffic, familiar 3 or 4 lane roads).

Anyhow, there are more implications to this then I've read here tonight. For example - I've read (and I'll have to dig for this) that the state may be able to now seize your car if you are arrested for street racing. That's right - busted for street racing? Even just a shallow dip onto the on ramp there? The report I read a month or two ago stated that the cars collected in street racing would be sold at auction to collect money for DUI safety programs and enforcement.

Would something like that even be legal? I mean, I'm kinda surprised they passed the law in the first place but for those who have zero tolerance, collecting and selling your car for their benefit probably doesn't seem like much punishment for them (kinda like collecting the weapon used to commit the crime).

If this is totally incorrect somebody please correct me here but I'm pretty sure I've read that recently. It was one of the reasons I stopped doing it 100% in the Viper. I mean, a nice new Viper wouldn't put a lot of money in that coffer now would it? :rolleyes:

So as of right now in Texas, if busted for street racing you could :

- be arrested. Spend at least one night in prison for sure (Class B misdemeanor = maximum of 2 months in prison + $2500 in fines)
- lose your license for 1 year
- lose your car potentially...forever

Also, this carries over to spectators at organized street racing events - not just drivers.

Keep in mind - all of this is for *first time* offenders too. They pretty much shoot you right in the face if you get pulled over with a Class B street racing arrest on your record...well, after collecting big $$$ :(

Sigh. Track em guys...it's a hassle for most but it's pretty much the only way you're not going to risk a HUGE amount of time and money (and possibly your car now!) for it.

BTW, Class A is state pen time I believe.... :(

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah - only for OEM equipment. But I've seen a lot of digital display radios, and disc players that would fail this law... especially Viper's with digital display radios and such...

wrong, states are sovereign entities, they write their own laws irregardless of federal laws (remember the 55 mph speed limit) If they decide video displays are illegal then they can write tickets, even if federal law allows those to be sold as oem installed items.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like it or not, driving is a privilege, not a right, and the states can regulate it as they see fit for the most part. Except for forfeiture issues to the extent you can lose your car for being accused of street racing, look for this system to stay.

I really don't see the big problem, though. Why don't some of you fast driving folks join MotorSport Ranch or take it to Kennedale or Ennis? Oh, I know, so inconvenient and expensive, but much safer and a chance to see for real how fast you and your car really are. I've never done the street racing thing and just don't get it, but then again I guess I am old.

I'll personally host you fast guys and gals as my guests at MSR some time and you can come see how fast you really are. $20 for 30 minute sessions and I can assure you, street racing will have lost its luster after that.

NTVCA is hosting an event on October 4, too, so you fast N Texas Viper folks better come get some.

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's a problem because laws are subjective and cops are the judge, jury, and executioner.
It's a problem because it has become "about revenue".
It's a problem because cops give out bad tickets all the time.
Here in Savannah GA the entire city is getting new cars so guess what. Now there is a cop sitting on the side of the main interstate in and out of Savannah 24 hours per day raising revenue. He gives out tickets at the rate of 100 per day, for what....revenue.
Zero tolerance=screwed

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wrong, states are sovereign entities, they write their own laws irregardless of federal laws (remember the 55 mph speed limit) If they decide video displays are illegal then they can write tickets, even if federal law allows those to be sold as oem installed items.

Wrong, federal laws can and often do preempt state laws. The 55mph speed limit was purely blackmail by the feds, not fed $$ for highways for a state unless they capitulated. However, a state may often make laws which are further restrictive to federal laws, but you can bet that auto-manufacturers and franchises won't go for a law which makes their cars illegal.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wrong, federal laws can and often do preempt state laws. The 55mph speed limit was purely blackmail by the feds, not fed $$ for highways for a state unless they capitulated. However, a state may often make laws which are further restrictive to federal laws, but you can bet that auto-manufacturers and franchises won't go for a law which makes their cars illegal.

But...

A fed law can only be inforced by a federal agent if it not supported by a state law. If a state decides to make all cars illegal that don't get 30 mpg, then they can inforce that law no matter what the federal law indicates. Conversly if the federal law states no car can be sold that does not get 30 mpg and a state allows it, only federal agents can cite the owner. This gets really complicated when you start crossing borders. One state allows you to operate a rollback carrying 20000 lbs with a standard class license (PA). But another requires a differant class for trucks over 17000 lbs(NY). You are pulled over in the state requireing a differant class, but you are licensed and the truck is registated in the other state. Guess what, the b@stards can still give you a ticket. I fought this with NYS for over 6 months and finially got it dropped. The trooper told me if he saw me again, he would write me again.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But...

A fed law can only be inforced by a federal agent if it not supported by a state law. If a state decides to make all cars illegal that don't get 30 mpg, then they can inforce that law no matter what the federal law indicates. Conversly if the federal law states no car can be sold that does not get 30 mpg and a state allows it, only federal agents can cite the owner. This gets really complicated when you start crossing borders. One state allows you to operate a rollback carrying 20000 lbs with a standard class license (PA). But another requires a differant class for trucks over 17000 lbs(NY). You are pulled over in the state requireing a differant class, but you are licensed and the truck is registated in the other state. Guess what, the b@stards can still give you a ticket. I fought this with NYS for over 6 months and finially got it dropped. The trooper told me if he saw me again, he would write me again.

Yeah, there are some issues like the license situation you mention that really should be federally controlled, but you can bet in the more significant situations, e.g., the mpg example you offered, that feds will be forced to fix the state's restriction.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I really don't see the big problem, though. Why don't some of you fast driving folks join MotorSport Ranch or take it to Kennedale or Ennis? Oh, I know, so inconvenient and expensive, but much safer and a chance to see for real how fast you and your car really are. I've never done the street racing thing and just don't get it, but then again I guess I am old.

People always run the "take it to the track" line. The problem is the "fast driving folks" can't take it to the track.

At Ennis I would probably trap in the mid 140's. I have safety equipment - 4 point roll bar, helmet, fire extinguisher, 5-point belts, etc. - but anything over 135 and I am supposed to have a parachute, 6-8 point cage, emergency fuel shut off, long wheel studs, window net, automatic fire supression system, etc. etc.

The car would no longer be a street car - it would be a dedicated drag car. So where can the fast cars run??? :confused:

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree NHRA rules are a pain; but I disagree that a car that can achieve over 140 mph in the 1/4 should be street raced. Those kinds of speeds are simply risky, if not downright dangerous, in an uncontrolled environment with public access, curbs, utility poles, guardrails, and the like. Do you understand that a supercar will take well over 600 ft to stop from 140? That's two football fields, folks. Add slicks &amp; skinnies, any pavement irregularites or fluids on the street, and the numbers get higher. Your headlights reach over 600' if racing at night?

I guess I have to say that I have no pity for the points system's effects on the fringe who want to run over 140 on the street.

Those who don't want to drag race, MSR has no special safety requirements, so bring it on.

Go Hogs Go!

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank goodness I live in Arkansas. Wild Bill and I have a great play ground. I can't remeber the last time I've seen a cop in the mountains.