Thanks Mary and Chris! You Rock!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All -

Thank you so very, very much for your kind words. It was an honor and a pleasure helping make this happen for the VCA and Viper owners in general. I got on stage in Detroit two years ago at VOI 10 and promised a VOI 11 (silly me), having only an inkling of what it might actually involve without substantial funding from the manufacturer. Even after an ill-fated call when we were told they weren't interested in another VOI by the then-CEO of Dodge, we continued to forge ahead.

JR Thompson Company was very supportive in providing us a view of past VOI's, but what shows on a spreadsheet doesn't begin to cover the reality of organizing an event of this scale. We quickly realized that the financial parameters of past VOI's were impossible to fulfill on a VCA budget. Not even with the modest success of the club's fledgling parts business could we even begin to raise the millions (plural) that these events have previously cost. So we bid out the various services and the two front-runners to organize the event (including JRT) bowed out due to conflicts. So we then turned to the one group of people we knew we could count on in a pinch: Other VCA members. With that in mind, here are just a few of the many that went above and beyond to help with this event:

• Marv Spatz for the track portion of the event. Your incoming National President for 2011 was the key organizer for that venue. Mary and I never got to even visit the track until late Sunday afternoon, but we heard many great things about it.
  • Alex Ristanovic for the VOI 11 logo design and coordinating many of the merchandise and goody bag options
  • Randall Arnold for putting together a spectacular registration package on short notice including the lanyards, credentials, badges, information brochure, etc.
  • Sam Goldfarb for the banners and windshield decals
  • Tom Roeller for the poster design, the white T-shirts, and one of the VOI pin designs. He also did those amazing Passport semi trailer wraps and helped staff various VOI venues whenever we fell short.
  • Robert "Mopar Boy" for not only hauling out every single one of those banners from Ohio, but even picking up a wayward Viper in Kansas on his way through. It was by far one of the most touching gestures Mary and I have experienced in the club over our many years.
  • Mike Stephens for working tirelessly at the track to keep things running smoothly and coordinating the staffing, water, etc.
  • Bobby Cerchione for arriving early and always being wherever we needed him whenever we needed him: Whether it was chasing down change for the cash registers in the vendor exhibits or stamping the dates on every single drink ticket during registration, if he saw a gap he filled it. His infectiously positive attitude really helped every single staff person there.
  • The Kansas City VCA for stepping in just as Mary and I thought we were going under: They knew the pressure we were facing, having seen us miss out on every single local event this summer. When the reality hit us of opening a VERY busy vendor booth with half of the paid staff a no-show, the KC crew jumped right in and helped stock, sell, and run the registers. And yes, the guy helping with the register was a Kansas City (MO) police detective, which was better assurance than any of the local staffing agencies could offer.
  • The "retired" Bob Carroll - past national VCA President. Not only was he was busy sorting goody bags during registration, but he offered both Mary and me an endless supply of moral support during those times when we were being tested the most. And there were definitely some of those times.
  • Our vendors and sponsors who helped make this a financial reality, especially our two main dinner sponsors: The new faces from Mopar, including Pietro Gorlier their CEO on Friday night; and our long-time friends from Dodge/SRT, led by the Viper's #1 champion, Ralph Gilles - Dodge CEO on Saturday night. Every single person that got to spend a little time chatting with Ralph lists it as one of their favorite moments of the event - as do we.
  • And finally, the VCA national board of directors: Besides the one member that continually questioned the venue and timing of the event itself (snow storms, muddy roads, fall colors long gone, etc.), the board was universally supportive in helping us get things done when they needed to be done. As is often said, you are only as strong as the people that surround you: The VCA is very fortunate to have such a great leadership team in place.
We will save the "what we learned from this VOI" for another thread (i.e., a $30 per person line of pastries and fruits is still "continental" and not "buffet"), but we definitely have a much better idea of what it takes to make future VOI's successful. We look forward to seeing all of you at the next one!

Thanks again,

Chris & Mary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456