The Junkman Battles Another Keyed Paint Job

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey boys and girls, I had the opportunity to go at another keyed paint job this week. As a lot of you already know, fixing paint is a passion for me and not something I do for money. So when the owner asked me what I wanted in return, I told him nothing but some pictures and food. He decided that was not good enough and bought me this setup:

You must be registered for see images

It's a Blu-ray DVD player and 5.1 HD audio with wireless speaker setup. I have to say that this beats Outback Steakhouse since I didn't have anything to go with my new 46" LED wide screen I just bought!

On to the repair. This scratch was too deep in places to totally remove but in situations like this, you try and make the damage as least noticeable as possible. At first glance, you would not be able to see the fixed product. That's what you want to achieve with damage like this. Here's the damage and it was not pretty. The scratch went from the front fender to almost the rear quarter.

As you can see, this puppy was deep. I was going to have to start with 2000 grit paper for this scratch. This posed two problems. One, I cannot use the PC-7424XP to repair 2000 grit wet sanding damage (it is not powerful enough and would take forever). I would need to use my Flex 3401VRG polisher in this case. Two, this is a new Toyota, which is notorious for having some of the thinnest clear coat on the planet (the same with Nissan's). In a situation like this, you have got to use a paint thickness gauge that measures both base coat AND clear coat. I didn't have one handy and was going to opt out of trying to fix this but the owner insisted that I go at it, even after I warned him of the danger. That scratch was bothering him so bad that anything would be better in his mind. So, at it I went.

I started by claying the entire area as claying is the foundation of my shine. Another reason that I clayed the area is because the owner had used some Meguiar's ScratchX on the scratch in an attempt to repair the damage himself and I didn't want anything in that scratch that would affect my repair attempt. The only thing he managed to do was make the paint dull around the scratch. Once the area was clayed, I started with 2000 grit paper. When doing a repair like this where you are NOT going to be painting the car, you have got to know when to stop sanding. You do not necessarily totally remove the scratch. In most cases you won't, especially on clear coat that is as thin as it is on these cars.

After the 2000 grit, I followed it with the 2500 and then 3000 grit papers. Again, you have got to take into consideration that these papers are also going to remove clear coat so if you remove too much with the 2000 grit paper, you've screwed the pooch. That's why a paint thickness gauge is so important. At a body shop where they are going to paint the car anyway, a paint thickness gauge is a waste of time and not necessary. Here's some shots of the sanding process.

Once I completed wet sanding the damage, I broke out my Flex polisher, some Swirl and Haze Remover and a orange pad. After buffing all the damage away with that combination, I followed it with some Fine Machine Polish and a white pad. After that combination, these were the results that I was able to achieve.

So as you can see, I earned my keep and this is probably why the owner was so happy. Now I need to go setup my new gear and hear what it sounds like! ;)

The Junkman

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great work bud, looks like a million bucks even for a Toyota. Most of us do not have the guts to take sandpaper to our finishes, but you make it look so easy.

Bruce

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very good work! And good deal for you and your friend.
I think I would not tackle that myself, I would probaly hire a professional as I don't know of anyone in my area that could that. I will just keep my fingers crossed and continue to park at the back of the parking lot, I need tshe excerxise anyway.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got balls of solid brass junkman!!

Or maybe I'm just loony in the head! That clear was thin as all get out. Definitely not something that you would want to try on your pride and joy without proper training. I still consider myself learning and I've been doing it for years.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work as always! Leaves me thinking, what they heck is wrong with these people keying cars??

Ronvpr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You did a great job but why waste your talent? With a scratch like that, the owner should of just towed it to the junkyard for crushing, considering it WAS a Toyota.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ, Still don't get it .... so if you don't totally remove the scratch, how does it disappear?

What I would think and have seen from my lame attempts at removing scratches is that the SHR / Polish / Something fills up the scratch with residue and makes it more visible, especially since everything around it ends up looking so nice and shiny.

What I found myself doing lately is using DR ColorChip to fill the scratch/ding/whatever and using the PC after to make it all disappear.

Would love to see a demo of this, perhaps you could carry around a spare door on your travels :)

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ, Still don't get it .... so if you don't totally remove the scratch, how does it disappear?

What I would think and have seen from my lame attempts at removing scratches is that the SHR / Polish / Something fills up the scratch with residue and makes it more visible, especially since everything around it ends up looking so nice and shiny.

What I found myself doing lately is using DR ColorChip to fill the scratch/ding/whatever and using the PC after to make it all disappear.

Would love to see a demo of this, perhaps you could carry around a spare door on your travels :)

Good question.

When the paint is scratched like this, the damage is ideally to the most top layer of your car with that being the clear coat. If the scratch is through the clear coat and into the actual paint, then the area has to be repainted. This scratch was a combination of both. The process of wet sanding is to remove layers of clear coat until I reach the level were the scratch has not reached. So basically, I'm shaving the clear coat off the car. The danger in doing this is that if you remove too much clear coat, the paint will fail in that area. Thus, it is a tricky job to do without being able to measure how much clear coat you are actually removing. That's why a paint thickness gauge that measures BOTH paint and clear coat is so important. It will protect you from removing too much clear coat and going into the paint.

The paint thickness gauge that I have to use on my car is the Delfesco PosiTector 200B/Advanced, as it measures substances on top of fiberglass. It only works on fiberglass and nothing else. At around $2700.00, it ain't cheap.

Now had you come to any of the detailing clinics that I have done in PA this year, you would have gotten to see me do this in person as I always demo wet sanding at my clinics. Just check out the threads of me at Carlisle, Grabiak Chevrolet, Thompson Racing and in New Jersey. You've had more opportunities to see this in person than any other state in the country!

You did a great job but why waste your talent? With a scratch like that, the owner should of just towed it to the junkyard for crushing, considering it WAS a Toyota.

The noodle-arm Toyota guys want to have a word with you out back. :D

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Amazing AJ!

AJ demo'd his wet sanding skills on the Camaro at our shop. I think Victor had to leave early.

We'll have him back in the spring, next time bring the kids with. We'll put them to work!

viper67wife

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing AJ!

AJ demo'd his wet sanding skills on the Camaro at our shop. I think Victor had to leave early.

We'll have him back in the spring, next time bring the kids with. We'll put them to work!

Eric, pick the car you would like scratched for AJ to fix, and our kids could handle it! No key necessary! We may bring our son even if you don't want him to work - IF he gets to sit in one of the "Batmobiles" you wouldn't let us take pictures of....

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, pick the car you would like scratched for AJ to fix, and our kids could handle it! No key necessary! We may bring our son even if you don't want him to work - IF he gets to sit in one of the "Batmobiles" you wouldn't let us take pictures of....

:rolaugh:

I always get a kick out of totally destroying the area that I'm working on and then looking at the owner of the car and asking, "Wouldn't it be inconvenient if I were to croak right about now?" :rolaugh:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what you do for a living Junkman but if this ain't it you missed your calling.
You posts have been a great asset to the VCA members here.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I don't do this for a living (I'm a computer network guy), I have reaped a ton of benefits buy doing this as a passion. The many hands that I have shaken including members of this very forum, the fellowship with good people across the USA and abroad, the smiles, laughs and the look of appreciation on the faces of the owners whose cars I have fixed is something that you cannot put a price on. If I could afford to travel around the world and do this for free, I would do it just for the things I have mentioned above. I found out at a young age that money isn't all it is cracked up to be and although it can make life easier, it can make life harder too. I think back to a time when I didn't have two nickles to rub together and for some reason, those where some of the best times in my life. Things were definitely simpler.

I should be thanking you guys for allowing me to help out around here. Guys like Scott who have really made me feel welcome by coming out to the shows and presenting me with 2 bottles of "Viper Wine", and Eric who flew me in to do a clinic at his shop, really make an old Marine feel at home. You all even tolerate the fact that I'm a Corvette guy! Lord knows that takes patience! :rolaugh: In the end, we are all "car guys" (and gals) and we all appreciate a fine automobile.

Thanks for allowing me to contribute. :2tu:

Ryan SRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Amazing is all I can say!!! What area of the states do you call home? I recently bought a viper and it has a few "spots" on it and I've pondered getting it resprayed but after seeing this, I'd like to pay you a visit when I get back home in March if possible.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing is all I can say!!! What area of the states do you call home? I recently bought a viper and it has a few "spots" on it and I've pondered getting it resprayed but after seeing this, I'd like to pay you a visit when I get back home in March if possible.

I'm in Louisville, Kentucky. :)

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all can't be any worse than Eric and his crew at Thompson Racing. I had to pass the initiation by cuddling up to the company mascot!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21