THE LAST WORD OF THE K & N 57-1536 SRT 10 AIR FILTER KIT ! !A MUST READ !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:usa: I called K & N yesterday and talked to a Tech who I have been dealing with for years. He told me that the Viper unit is really messed up. He said they are redesigning the 57-1536 Viper unit and it will be released in the near future. He also said that even though you see the part number is on their web site it is not available at this time and to call them and ask on the availability on the above part number from time to time to see if it has been released yet. He told me that anyone who bought the original design can return the unit to where they bought it for a full refund and that if that supplier will not take it back, then call K & N for a RGA# and send it back to K & N for a full refund. :usa:

I am happy to be back, I was down and out for the last few monmths,
:2tu:
Robbie

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting if this is true. There are alot of K&N kits out there.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HOLD THE PHONE !!! Partially correct. "Messed Up" is not a good explaination, and is a bit like shouting "fire" when there is a wisp of smoke across the street.

The 're-design' is simply due to a too-tight fit of the air-temp sensor grommet hole on RECENTLY MANUFACTURED kits. Older productions did NOT have this problem. We have recently had 2 customers actually break their temp sensors trying to install. We contacted KN 2 days ago on this for our Canada customer Patrick, (2nd instance in 2 weeks) and KN quality control manager decided on a "production hold". This only affects kits built in the last 45 days or so, while every unsold kit in stock is examined for proper grommet fit and proper air-tube fit. Stocking vendors (like PartsRack) are getting exchanges for hands-on quality checked units. This has NO EFFECT on already installed kits.

"If The Grommet Fit, you Must Aquit" If the hole must hack, send it back.

This whole 'problem' came about 1.5 years into problem free production, when the CA "CARB #" was needed on the kit, and it got this new part # and some minor production changes. We had ZERO problems for 1.5 years.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I needed to enlarge mine and almost broke the sensor but all is good. I dont see a reason to send it back - I think...

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed my K & N a couple weeks ago. (Parts Rack) The grommet was a challenge I admit. I used a quick spray of WD-40 on the grommet (make sure you don't spray the sensor)and with some elbow grease and patience, it went in.

I don't know if that was "normal", but it wasn't that bad.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thanks JonB.

That's why they call you the Viper Guru!

Warp10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with SRT10Mike. A little elbow grease, a lot of patience and the sensor went in. So far, no problems.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOLD THE PHONE !!! Partially correct. "Messed Up" is not a good explaination, and is a bit like shouting "fire" when there is a wisp of smoke across the street.

The 're-design' is simply due to a too-tight fit of the air-temp sensor grommet hole on RECENTLY MANUFACTURED kits. Older productions did NOT have this problem. We have recently had 2 customers actually break their temp sensors trying to install. We contacted KN 2 days ago on this for our Canada customer Patrick, (2nd instance in 2 weeks) and KN quality control manager decided on a "production hold". This only affects kits built in the last 45 days or so, while every unsold kit in stock is examined for proper grommet fit and proper air-tube fit. Stocking vendors (like PartsRack) are getting exchanges for hands-on quality checked units. This has NO EFFECT on already installed kits.

"If The Grommet Fit, you Must Aquit" If the hole must hack, send it back.

This whole 'problem' came about 1.5 years into problem free production, when the CA "CARB #" was needed on the kit, and it got this new part # and some minor production changes. We had ZERO problems for 1.5 years.

Wow...............can't believe poor little'o me caused major production haults at K&N. Nice to know they are getting the defects fixed. And by the way guys.... Jon at Partsrack handled my claim with grace and true professionalism. Stand up company , and you've got a customer for life....!!!
Thanks a bunch Jon . :headbang: :2tu: :headbang: :2tu:

Patrick

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about zero problems iin 1 1/2 years as I had to hog out the ******* on mine and I heard that continued for some time. But the temp sensor hole was fine on it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure about zero problems iin 1 1/2 years as I had to hog out the ******* on mine and I heard that continued for some time. But the temp sensor hole was fine on it.

To clarify, there were no problems with the air-temp grommet til recently. We were the "launch" vendor, with the help of KC-VCA. Some early units had some injection flashing in the air *******. That was a different part number, and was noticed and fixed (again due to postings here) very quickly, as THIS incident will be. Unfortunately, the 'ream out the holes' rep continued...

Of note: About 3 mos ago we sent a new 2005 mule SRT10(Larry M) from SoCal, to KN. They had his car several days. Based on comments posted here, KN dynoed various HOLE SIZES in the air tubes. Bottom Line was this: If they changed the holes larger, (as suggested by some here) they got an average 1HP gain. They would NOT attribute 1HP to larger holes, as the dyno is not that accurate. We talked w/ KN engineers before, during, and after that experiment. I have the dyno sheets somewhere, they gave me permission to post, but for several reasons I did not.

Patrick was well cared for by KN (and PartsRack, thanks.) KN sent him a relatively generous apology gift for his trouble and indirect assistance.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post how big the sensor holes are supposed to be? I might just drill mine out to make it work right! I will be taking it off sometime this month when I get the oil changed and make sure the cam bolt is on nice and tight!

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon for the explanation. I did have a lot of problems with mine when I got it about a year ago. I had to drill out both holes and I had a hell of a time getting that IAT sensor in. If I remember correctly, looking at the engine, I had to drill out the right side hole with a 1/4" drill bit and the left side hole with a 1/2" drill bit.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey John....I've got nothin but love for you...you know that....BUT...just to comment on the no problem thing...I bought my "newly designed" K&N from you last year around June-July..under the new part number.....broke two sensors and had to drill both holes. Also cut the sh*$ out of my hand in the process!!! I'm actually not that impressed with the whole design and wish they would find another solution...until something better comes along...I'll put this one on the coupe.

Chad

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does any one know the difference between K&N part number 57-1536 and 63-1536 ??? Is K&N part number 63-1536 the 'redesigned' K&N model?

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BEWARE EVERYONE

Do not buy the new K&N part number 63-1536 thinking that it has been revised and free from the problems that all of us have had with the old part. I bought it and it is the same part and they did not correct the vent holes. I still had to rework it as is mentioned on my web site below! The difference is that it does not come with C.A.R.B. approval!
http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey :newbie:,

Thanks for digging up a 3 year old thread. Nice.......................................... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Read more, post less.

On that note, where has Racer Robbie gone? :confused::confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang