The mid-engine Viper that never was...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was going through a pile of old CD's and found this, thought I share...

You must be registered for see images attach

--RS

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda like a GT1 Porsche:

The wing on the mid-engine Viper is very similar the GT-1 Audi.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't my design, someone else did it and I saved it. There's one other version I have on another CD, if I come across that one I'll upload that too.

--RS

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That first pic was photoshopped with the 1998 Porsche 991 GT1 road car however there was at one stage of the Vipers development, a mid engined concept. These are a few of the pics I have saved...

Last edited:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW... Do you know where that concept car that was under construction went? Did it ever start or drive?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That should be a kit car, to be made with a recycled Viper drivetrain. I have just found out what to do with my used-up '94 (when I'm done using it.)

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30GT1Prototype.jpg

This image first appeared in the NY/CT VCA newsletter, in the summer of 1996. Since then it has had an interesting life, often reproduced without any attribution, and once even being mistaken for proof that a mid-engined Viper was being worked on by the factory, - and another time it was mistaken by the factory to be a "leak" of the mid-engined project that I guess they must have been working on after all!

I drew it originally back in the spring of 1996, thinking that the then-new GTS was like the Cobra Daytona, and the original RT/10 was like the 427 Cobra, I had figured a Viper version of the GT40 could not be far behind, hence this mid-engined Viper...

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30ViperGTX.jpg

I did this midengined Viper sketch in 1998. I thought a Viper should try to win the Le Mans 24hr overall. At that time the top class was known as "GTX".

I did a few others after that, and they can be seen in my member gallery, some with comments...
Mostly they were done for a low-res VCA Regional NY/CT newsletter in the earlier years of the club.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30GT1Prototype.jpg

This image first appeared in the NY/CT VCA newsletter, in the summer of 1996. Since then it has had an interesting life, often reproduced without any attribution, and once even being mistaken for proof that a mid-engined Viper was being worked on by the factory, - and another time it was mistaken by the factory to be a "leak" of the mid-engined project that I guess they must have been working on after all!

I drew it originally back in the spring of 1996, thinking that the then-new GTS was like the Cobra Daytona, and the original RT/10 was like the 427 Cobra, I had figured a Viper version of the GT40 could not be far behind, hence this mid-engined Viper...

Very nice work, Ron. That was before I joined the VCA, sorry I missed it. These days there is probably some engineering software that translates a photoshop document into 3-D mold-making equipment, so I hope you saved it. It's amazing how the Viper-ness can be translated to other vehicle layouts.

I suspect you did the Daimler turbo-diesel Viper then? I love that one, too.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30ViperGTX.jpg

I did this midengined Viper sketch in 1998. I thought a Viper should try to win the Le Mans 24hr overall. At that time the top class was known as "GTX".

I did a few others after that, and they can be seen in my member gallery, some with comments...
Mostly they were done for a low-res VCA Regional NY/CT newsletter in the earlier years of the club.

reminds me of the masarati super car. can't remember the model name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21