the myth of the rt/10

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its funny that the most wrong statement is usually used by the non viper folks."the rt is slower than the gts"ive read this so many times and people still think the gts is the faster car.yes the gts has the aero advantage but for the most part in the quarter mile there the same.
when most people claim they kill a viper on some of the other boards,the usual replies are: it must of been a rt 10 but if you get a gts youll be in trouble".ive had both.i know its false.
anyone else tired of hearing about the slow rt/10s?

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the RT/10 heavier also?

If the GTS has the aero advantage, isn't the GTS faster then?

Gerald

OP
OP
S

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im saying for the most part the cars hp ratings are the same. correct?did the gts get a special engine?
laugh.gif

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of those "Must have been an RT/10 comments were made just after the GTS came out in 96 with the 450 hp motor., and better suspension.
Since they did not make RT/10's for a while, all the stock GTS's were faster than the stock RT/10's. Both in the quarter and on the track
Now that both snakes have the same driveline those comments are less applicable.

Prashant

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most people are thinking about the Gen I RT vs. GTS but switching from an RT to a GTS you do hear allot of the same comments. Strange indeed

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I agree the GTS is the fastest
laugh.gif
j/k Most who say the RT/10 is slower are thinking of the old Gen I and may even have raced a Gen I not knowing the newer RT/10's are just as fast as the GTS. But I've heard many times the GTS is faster than the RT/10 both on the net and in person, so many people do think that.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good thing I am a scrony little bugger....just put a fat guy in a GTS and I will crush him <<<ggg>>>

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It's the vette to viper rt/10 kit car that has the V-8. it's likely the people telling you about the v-8 in an rt/10 can't tell the real deal from a kit. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raceviper13:
I've actually heard from people that the RT/10 only has a V8. Maybe that's why it's slower. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
.... and wait, before 1badgts chimes in.....

It was Evan Smith who drove that stock baby to that awesome time..at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ.....

and P.S. (LOL..joe) Evan also punched out an 11.9 in 95 degree humidity and 90 degree temps at Raceway Park in a creampuff 2000!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I've also read a lot of posts on other car forums stating that the RT/10s are slower. But I'd also bet that they were thinking about the stock Gen I cars.

-Dean.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I can just see all those ol' gen1 RTs out there pokin' along. No power, no respect, no windows..... what a drag. It's almost not worth having one of them slow ol' gen1 Vipers.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe117:
Yup, I can just see all those ol' gen1 RTs out there pokin' along. No power, no respect, no windows..... what a drag. It's almost not worth having one of them slow ol' gen1 Vipers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, dem is fightin words!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raceviper13:
....I've actually heard from people that the RT/10 only has a V8...... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dodge dealer salesmen??

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's funny, when lurking in the LS1.com and other boards (not the corvette forum!), when the question comes up which car would you most NOT want to be lined up against, the answer is always Viper GTS.

Has to be that hanging Gen1 image.........although 12's bone stock on XGT's is nothing to sneeze at!

Ryan

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, all this speed stuff....Once I drove a Winston Cup car during a course at Pocono. THAT was fast, but knowing I had limited liability and would probably walk away from a crash, I pushed that car to the limit, and got speed that the instructors said we wouldn't get that day. If I had the same feeling about my RT/10, my ONLY RT/10, and didn't worry about sending my car into the wall, or my insurance giving me a hard time for racing, or simply braking a part and having to flat bed the car home, I'd do the same with my car and Whip any GTS butt.

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so what you guys are saying is that the GTS is faster! right?!

thats what I thought too!

glad to have confirmed the supremacy of the GTS and here on the Viper board no less!!!

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

devil.gif

as a lawyer, i have a special affection for misinformation and confusion!!!

Viper 8 R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II RT compared to GTS? Look at the Roadster's advantages:
SIX ADVANTAGES OF AN RT-10 WITH FACTORY HARDTOP:
(1) Its a GTS with a Real trunk.
(2) Its a GTS with a removable Back Window
(3) Its a GTS that transforms into a 450HP Sunroom in 2 minutes
(4) The Roadster now has 3 different appearences, instead of only two-- ( I can go through town incognito !)
(5) RT elicits more superlative comments from observers with the Factory Hardtop ON (compared to 'soft' top).
(6) Compared to GTS, RT's Hard Top is much easier to remove or install...... Heh heh heh.

SILVER 1998 RT/10, STOCK - - (EXCEPT FOR ALL OF THE HIGH-PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS !)

BUT, YOU ALREADY KNEW ALL THAT, right?
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the GTS is slightly faster, but nothing noticable or significant. It's basically the same car but I thought the RT/10 was slightly heavier.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I guess I should change my avatar to show my car from the front for all the GTSers, cause they gotta be tired of seeing that view!!!

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mopar Nats are June 1&2....

Our NJ hosted Region Rendezvous will either take place May 31 & June 1 .... or pack it all into one day ... on June 1.

Stay tuned!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone thinks a skinny guy in a Viper has a distinct advantage over a more 'robust' gentleman, I'll be glad to put that to rest. It has *so* much more to do with the driver.

Joe Houss,

&lt;sarcasm&gt;
Wow, 11.77 is really flying! Who ran that time? I've never heard the story of Evan Smith! Fill me in! I wish *I* could run 11.77's instead of those crappy 11.68's in the middle of July on those humid days
smile.gif
&lt;/sarcasm&gt; (hey, I need to have SOMETHING to brag about don't I?"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960