THE NEW Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where do you go that your Viper draws a crowd? I live in Metro Detroit and I have yet to see a Viper draw a crowd. Maybe I live in the wrong part of town. As I have said before, in my small sub there are several Vipers, several Vettes, my next door neighbor has a Rolls Royce convertible and we also have Porsches and servel other nice cars. The only car anybody even looks at twice is the Rolls and that is only because it is blue with yellow interior. I go to cars shows and the Woodward cruise and I don't see these crowds in front of Vipers. I like Vipers and think they are great cars that is why I am getting a Yellow SRT. However, I not getting it expecting a Dodge to draw a crowd. Hopefuuly, I will be surprised.

I live on a short street in the Hollywood hills. On my street there are two 360s, a rt/10, 2 bentley GTs, RR Phantom, RR corniche, 427 vette, and so on. Basically, there are a lot of cars in the area that are rather nice. I have ran into a few neighbors recently when they realized I was the guy with the GTS. Every one of them said that they had been wondering for a while who drove the car. If I take the viper out, I get photographed, videoed, thumbs up and so forth. People take notice of the GTS and RT/10. Maybe around here there are more modenas than vipers but people tend to take notice of the viper in a sea of rather expensive exotics. Of couse, it isn't why I bought the cars but it is a little fun. I wouldn't know about the SRT but to me they lack the draw that the Gen I and II cars have.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just gotta be honest here and question why a die hard viper fan would put the thread : THE Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER on the board?? Kinda gives me the heebeejeebee's.. <shiver> Don't jump ship so quickly Chris... Im still calling b.s. to all the numbers and to even title a thread like that on a national Viper board makes some wonder.. :) :)
G

No worries G. My reasons are as follows:

<ul type="square"> [*]Like it or not, Chevy deserves some kudos for the engineering in that car [*]In the only true documented head-to-head runs, the Viper lost [*]If we, as Viper owners, continue to cry that the tests aren't fair and they continue to show the Viper losing, it just makes us look worse. In other words, stop giving the Vette guys the opportunity to say "told you so!" That way you can look REALLY smug if/when a direct comparison test shows the Viper as faster. [*]I hate seeing our fellow Viper owners coming up with the same lame excuses that we have come to expect from "lesser" brands [*]Somebody needs to start looking forward and quit worrying about that which we cannot change (Paxton excepted)[*]And most importantly, that same somebody wants to make sure a nice toasty fire remains lit under the asses in Detroit (take that anyway you like, but I am going with the posterior version) [/list]Rest assured that you have absolutely no worries of me jumping ship. Indeed, you got me thinking that your "two Viper" club with Chuck needs another member. There is a reason I was looking at that ACR last night... :2tu:

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe its already been posted (at least once) but many of us who race our Vipers in various ways will have the advantage. An example, I was at PPIR this past saturday in my SRT-10 Ram and I cant tell you how many Vettes and Ferrari's I passed both in the twisties and straights. I didnt compete with the big boys (passing anywhere on the track) but those that I did had a huge Ram grill on their asp if they didnt let me by.

There's always gonna be a faster car but if the driver cant drive it to its full potential then he/she who can better will likely win.

Seems to me most of the Vettes and some of the Z06 are not as spiritually driven as the Vipers. Hence, better driver and better/equal car should have the Viper prevailing.

Cant wait for the Gen IV Viper, hopefully they'll put enough into it that it cant be matched with simple bolt ons from the competition.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great series of posts and perspectives - I have owned 6 Corvettes and 1 XLR before my Viper - I made the switch because the Viper is so different and unique - the thrill of Vette ownership would last about a month after each purchase (then I would get bored)or when I bumped into about 10 other Vettes exactly like mine over the course of any weekend - the thrill of Viper ownership is clearly amazing and its tough to wipe the grin off of my face each morning - there are only 649 Vipers in the state of PA - I bet there are 649 Corvettes in a 5 mile radius of my home! Who cares if the Z is a blink faster in a 1/4 mile race - many of us don't care or will ever experience that fact - Viper ownership is just special - I concur that DC will deliver the next top-of-the-hill performance vehicle though - and then, we can check that box off Viper ownership as well - lets get back to discussing our love of Vipers on this forum and forget the nonsense driven by the new Z - you can line up any car (including Ferraris) in a row with any model Viper and I bet the Viper always draws the crowd - I have seen it happen - enjoy the weekend - its raining like hell in PA and we all know snakes hate the water.

Turbo63,
Where do you go that your Viper draws a crowd? I live in Metro Detroit and I have yet to see a Viper draw a crowd. Maybe I live in the wrong part of town. As I have said before, in my small sub there are several Vipers, several Vettes, my next door neighbor has a Rolls Royce convertible and we also have Porsches and servel other nice cars. The only car anybody even looks at twice is the Rolls and that is only because it is blue with yellow interior. I go to cars shows and the Woodward cruise and I don't see these crowds in front of Vipers. I like Vipers and think they are great cars that is why I am getting a Yellow SRT. However, I not getting it expecting a Dodge to draw a crowd. Hopefuuly, I will be surprised.
Son buy a Viper before you spout off about how a Viper doesn't draw a crowd in your area. Are you nuts? A Viper draws attention from Berverly Hills to New York City. :smirk:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Vipers in So Cal often get admiring looks, thumbs up, little kids staring, because of their outrageous styling, and reputation for great performance. Even after having mine for over four years, it still draws a lot of attention.

But I don't get surrounded at gas stations, no crowds form at Denny's, its just not that way here in jaded So Cal. There are too many sports/exotic/high end cars here for the public to react like that.

One gas station attendant did take a picture of it this past Sunday, though! That was unusual.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great series of posts and perspectives - I have owned 6 Corvettes and 1 XLR before my Viper - I made the switch because the Viper is so different and unique - the thrill of Vette ownership would last about a month after each purchase (then I would get bored)or when I bumped into about 10 other Vettes exactly like mine over the course of any weekend - the thrill of Viper ownership is clearly amazing and its tough to wipe the grin off of my face each morning - there are only 649 Vipers in the state of PA - I bet there are 649 Corvettes in a 5 mile radius of my home! Who cares if the Z is a blink faster in a 1/4 mile race - many of us don't care or will ever experience that fact - Viper ownership is just special - I concur that DC will deliver the next top-of-the-hill performance vehicle though - and then, we can check that box off Viper ownership as well - lets get back to discussing our love of Vipers on this forum and forget the nonsense driven by the new Z - you can line up any car (including Ferraris) in a row with any model Viper and I bet the Viper always draws the crowd - I have seen it happen - enjoy the weekend - its raining like hell in PA and we all know snakes hate the water.

Turbo63,

PLANT! :rolleyes:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you go that your Viper draws a crowd?
?
It seems come come in waves. One day everywhere you stop someone is giving you the thumbs up or coming over to admire it, other days it’s just another car on the road.

It was funny, a few months back my wife was talking like she might like a SL500 MB so I humored her and said we’d go down to the dealer and check them out. On our way there we hit like 4 lights in a row and at each light someone different had to give us the thumbs up or say how much they loved the Viper. My wife turned to me and said she changed her mind and we went for a nice drive out to lunch.

You’ll never beat the bang for the buck with a Viper IMO

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just gotta be honest here and question why a die hard viper fan would put the thread : THE Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER on the board?? Kinda gives me the heebeejeebee's.. &lt;shiver&gt; Don't jump ship so quickly Chris... Im still calling b.s. to all the numbers and to even title a thread like that on a national Viper board makes some wonder.. :) :)
G

<ul type="square"> [*]Like it or not, Chevy deserves some kudos for the engineering in that car [*]In the only true documented head-to-head runs, the Viper lost [*]If we, as Viper owners, continue to cry that the tests aren't fair and they continue to show the Viper losing, it just makes us look worse. In other words, stop giving the Vette guys the opportunity to say "told you so!" That way you can look REALLY smug if/when a direct comparison test shows the Viper as faster. [*]I hate seeing our fellow Viper owners coming up with the same lame excuses that we have come to expect from "lesser" brands [*]Somebody needs to start looking forward and quit worrying about that which we cannot change (Paxton excepted)[*]And most importantly, that same somebody wants to make sure a nice toasty fire remains lit under the asses in Detroit (take that anyway you like, but I am going with the posterior version) [/list]Rest assured that you have absolutely no worries of me jumping ship. Indeed, you got me thinking that your "two Viper" club with Chuck needs another member. There is a reason I was looking at that ACR last night... :2tu:

It's a very limited club, PM me for an application. We are very selective.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best I can tell, the fun is already beginning for new Z06 owners. Lots of bad paint (beyond the usual orange peel)-- hoods, bodies being re-painted. I take no pleasure in this. It is a shame to buy such a nice car and have to deal with bad paint, etc.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Gerald on this one. I'm not conceding anything to the new Z06 until I see a few more side by side comparisons done. I'm sure there will be a lot of them done in the next few months. I'd be willing to bet that the Viper will win a few &amp; the Vette will win a few. No two cars are exactly the same and some drivers may be able to drive, shift, &amp; launch one particular car better than another. I think that on any given day with any given car or driver either one could be faster. I think we should just sit back, enjoy are cars &amp; watch what unfolds over the next few months. You might be surprised!

Bo

Bo

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just gotta be honest here and question why a die hard viper fan would put the thread : THE Z06 IS FASTER THAN THE VIPER on the board?? Kinda gives me the heebeejeebee's.. &lt;shiver&gt; Don't jump ship so quickly Chris... Im still calling b.s. to all the numbers and to even title a thread like that on a national Viper board makes some wonder.. :) :)
G

<ul type="square"> [*]blah blah blah [*]blah blah blah[*]blah blah blah [*]blah blah blah[*]blah blah blah[*]blah blah blah [/list]

blah blah blah Indeed, you got me thinking that your "two Viper" club with Chuck needs another member. There is a reason I was looking at that ACR last night... :2tu:

LOL!!! TWO VIPERS, HELL YES!!!

2k1droptop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makara,
I agree I think the Gen1 &amp; Gen 2 draw more interest. All the newer cars. IE. SRT &amp; ZO6 look very similar to non-car guys. When I had my custom Harley Fat Boy I would get thumbs up, stopped and crowds all the time. I buy cars because I like the way they look. Not to concerned on hast fast, I never been to track or plan on taking to a track.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Todd:
You think a fat boy, custom or not draws crowds, but a GenIII won't? Wow.
I've had, and still have a lot of bikes. Some of them have been fantastically modded. Never, ever, have I owned a bike that attracted attention like my Viper.

The GenIII, like has been discussed on here ad nauseum is not the ugly, ignored step-sister. I've had it alongside a friends GTS and BOTH cars were admired. Some people ignored the GTS and went right to the Gen III. Others ignored the GenIII and went right to the GTS.

As for "non-car guys" - they view all 3 gens as Vipers.

Interesting that in June you post that you 'Bought a Viper' because you didn't like the Vette, then in October you post that you are 'buying' a Viper and later still in October that you are looking to 'add a Viper to your Vette' (The Vette you said you didn't buy??)

I suppose that if you actually buy a Viper (Yellow SRT-10 I believe you said) then you will have some facts to go along with your opinion.

All Gens of the Viper are traffic stoppers. I don't care what else you have in the neighborhood.

Dirk

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turbo63,

PLANT! :rolleyes:

FANG...Great call! I'm amazed no one else noticed. I'm from Detroit and would be happy ro discuss these issues with this individual. :rolleyes:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote from 2k1droptop] Turbo63,

[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure who you are or where in metro Detroit you live (you are not listed in the 2005 membership directory so I assume you are a new owner/member), but your experience is way different than mine. After 11 years of Viper ownership I am still amazed at the level of attention all Vipers get. Even here with the many that are around.

For those in other areas this may seem strange but I frequently will see another Viper when out for a long drive. This may be impacted by choosing Viper weather days for a drive, but none the less they are not uncommon.

But no matter where I go, from downtown Birmingham, Rochester Hills, Bloomfield, etc it does not matter. It is noticed and then some. Thumbs up and "nice car" comments abound. One thing I do not get much here is the "what is that" type of question. Guess the community here is more car knowledgeable.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told this story a few weeks back, but just to add to the what has already been said regarding the attention that a VIPER draws, Im truly amazed that some people don,t get any acknowledgement as to what a great car they have. The story goes like this, I was traveling down the Garden State Parkway on one of my nightly cruises in my 2005 SRT 10 with the top down. A carload of 20-25 year old girls were driving along side me and yelled at me to pull over so they could take pictures of my car with them in it. I told them I really couldn't do that it was too dangerous (besides my wife would divorce me, and probably take the VIPER in the Divorce, can't risk that loss! ) Anyway they then proceeded to pull out in front of me and the girls hung out of the car up to their wastes on both sides at 70 MPH and started shooting pictures of my car, I couldn't believe it! This is only one instance of the attention My Silver Viper gets, people have even chased me down my street to get a look at my car before I put it in the garage. Things like this happen almost every time I take the car out. I have a corvette convertible also and these type things have never happened in all the years I have owned it. I hope this story tells it all regarding the VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People absolutely go nuts over it.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last i checked this post wasent about which car turns more heads. The new Z06 simply outperforms the Viper and for the driver that likes to actually enjoy the driving experiance this is what matters the most. If you need a car to pull chicks you need help anyways! Personally i think the new SRT Coupe just simply looks like a SRT-10 with a GTS roof and rear end grafted onto it. It's very apparent that the folks at DC did not put much effort into the exterior design of the vehicle.

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RE: getting noticed

Had my GTS about 6 months now. I know there are others in my area but only seen the same black with silver stripes a couple of times and a very nice looking red SRT/10 once in all this time.

My car gets so much attention driving it everyday, that I am thinking of selling it because it actually causes me inconvenience. It was fun at first.... I can't leave a restaurant parking lot or gas station without answering questions. Left the hairdressers last week. 5 or 6 year old boy taking pics of it with a cell phone. Mother was standing close by. She had actually driven around the block, parked, for her son to take these pics. I waited patiently until the young lad finished and walked away beaming.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last i checked this post wasent about which car turns more heads. The new Z06 simply outperforms the Viper and for the driver that likes to actually enjoy the driving experiance this is what matters the most. If you need a car to pull chicks you need help anyways! Personally i think the new SRT Coupe just simply looks like a SRT-10 with a GTS roof and rear end grafted onto it. It's very apparent that the folks at DC did not put much effort into the exterior design of the vehicle.
I'm sorry Travis are you lost? This is not the "rice-a-roni" car site. This would be the Viper site. Now run along little boy...

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another hijacked thread, but what can you expect with such an inflammatory title? You know what else is odd - and I love Vipers - is that I prefer the muscular and more subtle look of the Z06 to the SRT-10. The GTS still wins over both by a wide margin in the looks department.

Oh, and the only way a GTS with tubes and filters will be quicker than a C6 Z06 is if you dropped them both off the Empire State Building.

Performance - wise, there is no other conclusion; stock comparisons leave Chevrolet king of the performance hill. The good news is that this may provoke DC into making some changes.

2k1droptop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd:
You think a fat boy, custom or not draws crowds, but a GenIII won't? Wow.
I've had, and still have a lot of bikes. Some of them have been fantastically modded. Never, ever, have I owned a bike that attracted attention like my Viper.

The GenIII, like has been discussed on here ad nauseum is not the ugly, ignored step-sister. I've had it alongside a friends GTS and BOTH cars were admired. Some people ignored the GTS and went right to the Gen III. Others ignored the GenIII and went right to the GTS.

As for "non-car guys" - they view all 3 gens as Vipers.

Interesting that in June you post that you 'Bought a Viper' because you didn't like the Vette, then in October you post that you are 'buying' a Viper and later still in October that you are looking to 'add a Viper to your Vette' (The Vette you said you didn't buy??)

I suppose that if you actually buy a Viper (Yellow SRT-10 I believe you said) then you will have some facts to go along with your opinion.

All Gens of the Viper are traffic stoppers. I don't care what else you have in the neighborhood.

Dirk
Dirk,
I did buy a Viper and had my Vette sold as well. As a matter of fact is was a Yellow Viper from a supposed forum member. We agreed on the price and the time and everything. When I went to pick it up, that person changed his mind and said he wanted $5 grand more becasue he is was selling to cheap. He also had a Cobra Replica for sale.
As far as your traffic stoppers they are not, I am not sure why this is so upsetting to you. I think all sports cars are nice in the eyes of the beholders. They all draw attention to certian crowds. For anyone who wants to discuss this in person as mentioned above. I live in Rochester and attend the car shows on Sunday on Main street and the car shows on Monday nights at the Rochester Mall.
I never said they were not admired, just that I have not seen these huge crowds that people discuss.

2k1droptop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk,
One last thing here is my post from June.
waiting 'til the new Z06 came out to see it-saw it-still don't like the C6 body style, however I think the perf upgrades are nice.

THEN I heard the price-$65K+dealer markups this yr, said NOPE.

so I bought a viper:)
Leslie.
Leslie, siad he bought the Viper. Not me. My response was next to it where I commented on Z06 selling for list. Please read the thread.
I never posted my sale, because it fell through and the seller said he was he was a forum member and I did not want to get off on the wrong foot with all of the forum members.

JIMNITA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY 1992 VETTE IS FASTER THAN THE Z06. NO WAY IT COMES CLOSE TO A VIPER, AT LEAST NOT MY VIPER.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2k1droptop, I have been to the rochester mall show many times. Guess I must have missed you:) I live less than 1 mile from there and go by it most Mondays. The ONLY Vipers I have seen there regularly over the past 2 years are mine (either a red RT/10 or red SRT) and a yellow/black GTS (Mark).

Note that show is clearly aimed at older vehicles and a Viper will never draw a crowd. That is just the way it is. But something you did not point out which is important is that Rochester is located in the shadow of Chrysler Group headquarters. Thus Vipers are very common, with most being company cars. Thus in that locality the level of interest is decidedly less. I have over 50,000 miles of Viper driving and can state with zero question that the Viper, any Viper, draws a ton of attention.

BTW I am not aware of a forum member in this area with a yellow car (except Sam aka VipeMe, who I do not believe ever planned on selling his 95 RT/10). Maybe you can pm me and indicate who it may be.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2k1droptop, I have been to the rochester mall show many times. Guess I must have missed you:) I live less than 1 mile from there and go by it most Mondays. The ONLY Vipers I have seen there regularly over the past 2 years are mine (either a red RT/10 or red SRT) and a yellow/black GTS (Mark).

Note that show is clearly aimed at older vehicles and a Viper will never draw a crowd. That is just the way it is. But something you did not point out which is important is that Rochester is located in the shadow of Chrysler Group headquarters. Thus Vipers are very common, with most being company cars. Thus in that locality the level of interest is decidedly less. I have over 50,000 miles of Viper driving and can state with zero question that the Viper, any Viper, draws a ton of attention.

BTW I am not aware of a forum member in this area with a yellow car (except Sam aka VipeMe, who I do not believe ever planned on selling his 95 RT/10). Maybe you can pm me and indicate who it may be.

Why even reason with the guy? He's obviously a plant. Sprinkle some Miracle-Gro and watch him sprout. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187