The ramblings of a Viper Builder

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So much had happen in my life during those months that I didn't think I would ever get hired. Hell I had even for gotten that I had even applied for the big three.
I got fired from the robotics plant. We were homeless for three months. That's me, my wife, and our three kids. You never know how strong you are until you have nothing.
But that is another story for another time.

Rather than worry or joke that a homeless guy was building my Vipers, I know that a HIGHLY-MOTIVATED guy was building them ! Quite a few EMPLOYEES tried to get to CAAP ....for more than 21 mos

OP
OP
V

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than worry or joke that a homeless guy was building my Vipers, I know that a HIGHLY-MOTIVATED guy was building them ! Quite a few EMPLOYEES tried to get to CAAP ....for more than 21 mos

At the time of my interview we were in an apartment.

And for those that doubt me, here is my standards I work by at any job I am doing.

"I build every car, truck, or Viper as if it were going to be in my garage when it is finished"

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished chapter two and i like this guy...feel like im there going through it with him...this is just awesome..maybe i like these car a lil too much...i can defiently relate to pldc and boards...its because of those promotion boards i was able to land my jobs..looking forward to chapter 3

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very interesting.To get the story from a real person who worked on our Vipers is amazing. Can't wait for chapter 3. Thanks!

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Did you build the Prowler too?. I hope so as we have one of those also, and it would be nice to know it was built by you as well. Awesome story, Keep it coming!!!!!:D:D

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good story so far....
I wonder if the union has provided and fulfilled the promise of a good life?? Credit where credit is due and all that..

Your readers await.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So Did you build the Prowler too?. I hope so as we have one of those also, and it would be nice to know it was built by you as well. Awesome story, Keep it coming!!!!!:D:D

In CH -II he wrote:

"""After the interview I was asked if I would like a tour of the plant. Sure why not? Now I still at this point had no idea what car was being built at this place. When I saw these wonderful, beautiful, and amazing blue with white striped sports cars....I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Now for the let down. I asked if I was going to be building these cars. No, I was being hired to build the Plymouth Prowler. It was a new car for Chrysler."""

So I guess its MAYBE ! Does he have a Cat Tattoo (Cattoo?)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chapter II: The Conner Interview

Back in 1997 I didn't have GPS. Hell I didn't even have a cell phone. Luckily I was provided with some directions and the address to the plant.....Ok the plant was between 7 and 8 mile. Ok no problem there. I was also told it was east of VanDyke. So that would put it between VanDyke and Schoenherr Road. Ok I can figure that one out. I would just go south on Schoenherr to Conner Road and then make a right. The plant should be right there. Turns out it only sounded simple.
First, Schoenherr does not go south of 8 mile. And second, Conner does not connect to Schoenherr. Man am I glad I left early........ By the way, this part of Conner Ave. is just about a quarter mile long. So you can see how I missed it.

Relevant Trivia:

I'm sure you know this now, but back then Chrysler had successfully petitioned the city and the Post Office to CHANGE THE ADDRESS from Conner Road to Conner Ave, for that 1/4 mile section alone. Achieved before the plant would open. Why? Historically, many of the plants had acronyms for names...hence Connor Ave. Assy. Plant = CAAP.

But if the pavement stretch had been left as the rest of Conner Road ?

Conner Rd. Assy Plant = ___ ___ ___ ___ .

-FACT- !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any ETA for chapter 3?:eater::eater::eater:
Chapter III will be posted in two weeks. So January 25th.

good story so far....
I wonder if the union has provided and fulfilled the promise of a good life?? Credit where credit is due and all that..

Your readers await.....

Not many people know that the union members took a 10% pay cut because of the bankruptcy. About $1.25 or more was our COLA. Or Cost of Living Allowance. That went to the Union to pay for the medical benefits that Chrysler no longer pays. I don't know about others but my base pay dropped $2.00 per hour. I guess that's about a 11-13% pay cut.
My wife and I have learned hard lessons in life. Our house runs on a 40 hour pay check. Which leaves me about $40 extra a week. No matter what we may want we never go over that budget. The tails I could tell you. but that's not what this post is about.
If I didn't answer you quest to your satisfaction please ask a more specific question.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Relevant Trivia:
Why? Historically, many of the plants had acronyms for names...hence Connor Ave. Assy. Plant = CAAP.

But if the pavement stretch had been left as the rest of Conner Road ?

Conner Rd. Assy Plant = ___ ___ ___ ___ .

-FACT- !!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I was not aware of that Jon.. I'm so glad Motor City saw the importance of changing the Road to Ave...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chapter III will be posted in two weeks. So January 25th.
Not many people know that the union members took a 10% pay cut because of the bankruptcy. About $1.25 or more was our COLA. Or Cost of Living Allowance. That went to the Union to pay for the medical benefits that Chrysler no longer pays. I don't know about others but my base pay dropped $2.00 per hour. I guess that's about a 11-13% pay cut.
My wife and I have learned hard lessons in life. Our house runs on a 40 hour pay check. Which leaves me about $40 extra a week. No matter what we may want we never go over that budget. The tails I could tell you. but that's not what this post is about.
If I didn't answer you quest to your satisfaction please ask a more specific question.

Sir, ... As a fellow union member, I find an interest in your situation. Please don't let my silly comment stop you from telling you'r story. We do await your telling....

To answer my own question; Yes, the union has created the life that was promised me. My family enjoys the American Dream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir, ... As a fellow union member, I find an interest in your situation. Please don't let my silly comment stop you from telling you'r story. We do await your telling....

To answer my own question; Yes, the union has created the life that was promised. My family enjoys the American Dream.

Silly comments and banter are welcome. But as one previous poster found out I do not joke when it come to doing a quality job. For me to do anything less... I just can't.

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD: A great real story first hand, from a real person that was there :)

BAD: The chapters are just too short :(

Anxiously awaiting Chapter III :2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quality of your job performance is not in question. Not in my mind!
Please do not take offense..

Your thread is loaded with hits. We want to hear your story!

(I'd spill mine but I don't build Vipers..)

:eater:

OP
OP
V

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOOD: A great real story first hand, from a real person that was there :)

BAD: The chapters are just too short :(

Anxiously awaiting Chapter III :2tu:

The chapters are short because is my memory of those times 14 years ago. what were you doing in February of 1997? Beside I never said I was even a good writer. I'll work on it though.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chapter II: The Conner Interview

Until I finally said, "I know what answer you're looking for. But for me to give you that answer I would have to lie to you. And I'm not going to do that. I am a team player that can get the job done solo if I had to."

Great Answer!!! Love it!!!:2tu::usa:

:thankyou:

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The chapters are short because is my memory of those times 14 years ago. what were you doing in February of 1997? Beside I never said I was even a good writer. I'll work on it though.

..........I know what I WASN'T doing in Feb of '97 - NOT building Vipers!!!:(

I think A1998 just meant that we LOVE reading your story, and that it's like a good book....Don't want to put it down!! And FWIW - your writing is perfectly fine!

Keep up the good work!!!!:2tu:

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter as well!!

Dan

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think A1998 just meant that we LOVE reading your story, and that it's like a good book....Don't want to put it down!! And FWIW - your writing is perfectly fine!

Exactly what I meant ! Sorry to see ViperLSS took it wrong way. Some days it doesn't pay to post! :crazy2:

OP
OP
V

ViperLSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly what I meant ! Sorry to see ViperLSS took it wrong way. Some days it doesn't pay to post! :crazy2:

I didn't take it the wrong way or the right way. I just took it as someone that wanted more from my writing.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I was not aware of that Jon.. I'm so glad Motor City saw the importance of changing the Road to Ave...

It's mentioned in the "Viper buyers guide" by Maurice Q. Liang;). 1st thing I bought when I decided to get a Viper.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's mentioned in the "Viper buyers guide" by Maurice Q. Liang;). 1st thing I bought when I decided to get a Viper.
Nah, I skipped the reading part and just drove :drive:
Matter of fact, I still haven't read VBG :omg:

Maybe that is why I fought with my Gen I toupee so much.... I shoulda read the instructions :crazy2:

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool, this makes me appreciate my two vipers that much more. thanks for taking time to post your stories, luv em.