The seminal fluids thread!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on several recent threads, the 1998 Viper Service Manual, and some research, I have assembled the linked chart below that contains a listing of Viper fluid types, capacities, change frequencies, and brands to use. (Where information is followed by an "SM" in parenthesis, the Service Manual was the source of the information, otherwise the source is as listed.) I'd like to see an expansion of the change frequency information, and any other gaps, corrections, or additions as appropriate (and I'm sure there are a few other variances between Gen1s and Gen2s, etc.). Any help in providing additional info for this would be appreciated.

http://www.yandros.com/ViperFluids.htm

MrBigRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You might want to add the Mopar part numbers for the differential oil and additive:

Mopar #4874469 75W-140 Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant
Mopar #4318060AB Limited Slip Additive

My local dealer wanted to sell me the transmission oil to use in the differential, saying his chart called for the same part number for both. I think he must have been reading the chart wrong. Sure helped to have the part numbers!

--John

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good start. Crankcase capacity differs from year to year. My 97 GTS was 8 qts, my 01 GTS 10 qts. I personally would recommend a coolant change at least every two years, regardless of mileage.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MrBigRT:

Small point, however, might save someone some time the correct number is 4874459. I have a bottle in front of me.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good start. Crankcase capacity differs from year to year. My 97 GTS was 8 qts, my 01 GTS 10 qts. I personally would recommend a coolant change at least every two years, regardless of mileage.

I recall something about this oil capacity increase, anyone know when?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MrBigRT:

Small point, however, might save someone some time the correct number is 4874459. I have a bottle in front of me.

Thanks!

Keep the info coming!

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
When I print the chart or do a "print preview" everything right of the "91" on the second row, and to the right of that point on all the following rows, is cut off. How can I fix that? using win 98se and ie6 sp1

Greg W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marv S,

Usually setting printer to 'landscape' not 'portrait', allows the printer to print wide pages. Works well on printing this page also.

Greg W

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I print the chart or do a "print preview" everything right of the "91" on the second row, and to the right of that point on all the following rows, is cut off. How can I fix that? using win 98se and ie6 sp1

As Greg said, print it in landscape view. To get it to look decent, I had to switch it to landscape from portrait. Note, I plan to update it with further info posted herein...

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, any other fluids-related info would be appreciated, e.g., whether one can simply add Motul 600 to stock fluid (think I read you could), etc.

MrBigRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jack,

The Mopar #4874459 is the transmission oil (75w-85), the #4874469 is the differential oil (75w-140).

--John

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have routine #s for when power steering or brake fluid should be changed?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John:

Thanks.

When this table is done the best place for it will be the "Illustrated Upgrades". This info is long overdue.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John:

Thanks.

When this table is done the best place for it will be the "Illustrated Upgrades". This info is long overdue.

Sounds good to me, looking for more responses to fill in the blanks though...

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most performance manufactures recommend brake fluid changes every 2 years, street use. Track use could be as much as several times per day.

I'd change P/S fluid at least as often as transmission, and perhaps more. Again depending on usage (street easiest, autocross worst). Haven't seen official recommendation.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good work Slaughter, I'm hitting them all, this will help!!

maybe add plugs and wires, and 02 sensors for kicks?!?!
10K (if performance gapped), 20K, run stock for 100% no radio interference, and unknown (50K?) to this guy respectively.

keep in touch,

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most performance manufactures recommend brake fluid changes every 2 years, street use. Track use could be as much as several times per day.

I'd change P/S fluid at least as often as transmission, and perhaps more. Again depending on usage (street easiest, autocross worst). Haven't seen official recommendation.

Thanks for the info, you will be assimilated ;)

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good work Slaughter, I'm hitting them all, this will help!!

maybe add plugs and wires, and 02 sensors for kicks?!?!
10K (if performance gapped), 20K, run stock for 100% no radio interference, and unknown (50K?) to this guy respectively.

keep in touch,

Yeah, good idea to add some other basic info like plugs/wires, not sure about 02 sensors - probably start up a separate thread for non-fluids info, e.g., PCV valve, fuel filter, etc.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughter,
regarding the clutch fluid
in one of the VCA notes letter, it mentioned stick your finger in it... LOL
and if residue is left on your finger or if the fluid looks dark change it

i used Motul, not sure of the capacity the tech did it.

I am going to change it every time I change brake fluid.
Same fluid so it make it easy.
thanks
JIM

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughter, thank you for posting this. Absolutely fantastic!

Exactly what a Newbie needs. :D

Michael

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slaughter, thank you for posting this. Absolutely fantastic!

Exactly what a Newbie needs. :D

Michael

You're welcome. Note that the #s from the SM are for a 98, and I know that later vipers have a higher oil capacity, not sure of other differences.

Will be updating the page once those last couple of fill-ins are determined...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine