The SRT/10 owns

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry fellow gen I&II owners but the SRT has performance all over our rides. I spent the past few days putting a few hundred miles on an 04 and the car flat out beats our balls, while still retaining the Viper trademark rough, battleaxe ride image. It really got me hungry for the coupe later this year.

Even on looks it got thumbs from rabid fans, although still nothing compares to the style of ours. But style is second to performance gents.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even on looks it got thumbs from rabid fans, although still nothing compares to the style of ours. But style is second to performance gents.

If this is true why not by a 06 Z06? It will outperform a Gen I or II for a little less change than a SRT-10. I think styling has a lot to do with it, my opinion.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry fellow gen I&II owners but the SRT has performance all over our rides. I spent the past few days putting a few hundred miles on an 04 and the car flat out beats our balls, while still retaining the Viper trademark rough, battleaxe ride image. It really got me hungry for the coupe later this year.

Performance can be had in various ways! Cough, Cough, Heffner's Performance! :p

Styling of the GenI&II is too good to give up that easily!

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If this is true why not by a 06 Z06? It will outperform a Gen I or II for a little less change than a SRT-10. I think styling has a lot to do with it, my opinion.

While I've yet to drive a Z06 something tells me it isn't going to give you that battle axe feel a Viper does. There are other cars that will come close to Viper performance but I don't want to feel like I'm driving a luxury car.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's just something about the curves on the GenI&II.... sure the SRT will outperform it off the showroom floor.... but our cars just look way better! here's my analogy... you have a FINE chick, and a not so fine chick... and you HAVE TO choose one.... the not so fine chick is better in bed.... do you dump the FINE chick because of this? nooooo.... you stick with the FINE one and improve on the act.... moral to the story... GEN I&II.... Supercharge or TT! lol... I gotta weird way of seeing things...lol

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's my analogy... you have a FINE chick, and a not so fine chick... and you HAVE TO choose one.... the not so fine chick is better in bed.... do you dump the FINE chick because of this? nooooo.... you stick with the FINE one and improve on the act

I must say, that just might be the best analogy I've ever heard on the subject.

Only flaw in the analogy- that fine chick will get worse with age. The RT/10 and GTS cars though... like fine wine.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the surprise was what?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I saw the light too, and I'm very happy that I did! I've put more miles on my SRT in a month than I put on my ACR or RT-10 in six months!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put about a thousand miles on an srt10... I have to say, it's a better performer than my gts. But as a non-racer, 450hp and gts handling is more than enough for me, and you can't beat the styling. If performance was all that mattered srt10 would be the way to go.

The great thing is, no matter what you find more important, we have a Viper that fills either need. God bless America! :usa:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well I can see the tides turning now, if they got to TVC then its only a matter of time before the rest of us are either converted or killed off.

Can't say it wasn't fun though..

Hey TVC - did you happen to read up on the traction control options in the other thread? I bet it'll work wonders at Sebring. You gonna opt for the four door when it comes out? Maybe they'll just find another way to cut costs with the production line and introduce the NeonSnake SRTXVR, not really a neon, not really a camaro, almost a 300c......

damn...................

Come on man..... there's gotta be something left of the Chuck us real viper owners know an love... fight the dark side!!! I liked the performance of the 10 too, but you have to admit the heritage just isn't there.... its just not a viper...

if we let up we'll all be racing caddies....

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I never really put "rough, battleaxe ride" together with a car that has a holder for my Grande Mochachino.

Maybe I just dump this loserly Hemi Challenger for one of those ********* SRT's? You cant put a price on those auto open a little bit windows right? Who cares about owning a classic, thats all over blown. At least I will have awesome stopping power!

Yeah, its all about the performance for some I guess. For others its about something else. The SRT has been, and from the way the are scrambling to make the coupe a carbon copy of the GTS, chasing the GTS. I cant wait for them to change the logo back to Sneaky Pete that will be the ultimate beg for forgiveness. They did what ford did with the GT40, except they did it after a few years.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The C4 Corvette was a performance improvement over the C2 Corvette. History will demonstrate a distinct parallel in Viper product development. IMHO :usa:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took a brief test drive in an SRT-10 once and was very, very impressed with the steering feel - turn in was much more decisive than my RT. Power was great, but definitely needs 3.54 rear end in stock trim. I could definitely get used to the looks, as well.

I think the 03/04 verts are going to be very affordable once the coupe's come out, they're already getting into the high fifties...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one difference that Gen 1 cars have over the SRT - the earlier the car, the more like a kit car, brutish, underdog it becomes. If you want to have a chariot you can bond with, modify to your tastes, match up to your talents, then Gen 1 is the way to go. Enjoy the results, overcome the shortfalls, engineer away the problems. Life is also under the hood or under the fender, not just in the seat or admiration from across the garage. And for some, there is more satisfaction in achieving a performance level than in buying it. imho

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance can be had in various ways! Cough, Cough, Heffner's Performance! :p

Blah. Straight line. Heffner is a master at it no doubt.

I would assume you already have the BEST brakes! So all you need is some POWER to BOOST you out of the curves, and put some MPH in your straight-a-ways!! :p

No doubt you are right, the SRT-10 is a better performer than the GenI&II !! Especially the braking!
So sell your 2 and get 1!! Join the rest of us! :D :D

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Stock Gen II car vs. Stock Gen III car, I 100% agree.

But I would put my 1997 GTS up against any stock SRT, catagory for catagory on the track, and I have less money in the GTS than a new bone stock SRT.

Chuck,
On the the new 2006 coupe order note. I just worked out a deal thru my dealer contact to order one for $1000.00 over invoice. If you want one, I am sure I can get you the same deal.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's just something about the curves on the GenI&II.... sure the SRT will outperform it off the showroom floor.... but our cars just look way better! here's my analogy... you have a FINE chick, and a not so fine chick... and you HAVE TO choose one.... the not so fine chick is better in bed.... do you dump the FINE chick because of this? nooooo.... you stick with the FINE one and improve on the act.... moral to the story... GEN I&II.... Supercharge or TT! lol... I gotta weird way of seeing things...lol

I think your analogy is very good. No matter what's done to it, a Gen III will never look as good as a Gen II. Styling is a big factor for me, and the slight performance difference can be made up, if you choose to do so, with a few bucks.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you feel about the bolster in the seats Chuck? I've never driven one for any lenth of time but they feel much tighter than the Gen II and I'm thinking that could be a pain on long trips.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew: I actually asked the same question to a good buddy of mine with a Z06, who's driven my car a lot, and an SRT-10.

He says that the Gen II seats are actually much more comfortable.

If they wanted the SRT to be a real winner, they would have made all the peformance (engine, suspension, etc) changes to the car, and left the Gen II body style. Now that would be an incredible car.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would tend to agree that the Gen3 beats Gen2 performance (and I am speaking to total performance, not just HP). I own a Gen2 and an SRT/10. What I do find is that after driving the SRT/10 I tend to get less "aware" (maybe a little more sloppy?) when I jump back in the Gen2 because the SRT is more forgiving of the driver and has a more predictable performance edge. The Gen2 is definitely more of a drivers car in the sense that it takes constant input while driving - can't be sloppy or it will bite you. The SRT/10 seems to take care of itself without so much input - handles better, stops better, and is less brutish are far as driver feedback.

Would I give up my Gen2? No way, that is why I could not sell it after buying the SRT, but the SRT is definitely a pleasure to drive, but the Gen2 is a lot more "fun".

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sneaky Pete is the one and only heart breaker!
3307SP_HB-med.jpg

Chuck, if you get a Gen III you might as well put a 00 on the side and replace these babes with a bunch plumper pies or the Manatee Girls! :smirk:
3385Hotties640-med.jpg

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would tend to agree that the Gen3 beats Gen2 performance (and I am speaking to total performance, not just HP). I own a Gen2 and an SRT/10. What I do find is that after driving the SRT/10 I tend to get less "aware" (maybe a little more sloppy?) when I jump back in the Gen2 because the SRT is more forgiving of the driver and has a more predictable performance edge. The Gen2 is definitely more of a drivers car in the sense that it takes constant input while driving - can't be sloppy or it will bite you. The SRT/10 seems to take care of itself without so much input - handles better, stops better, and is less brutish are far as driver feedback.

Would I give up my Gen2? No way, that is why I could not sell it after buying the SRT, but the SRT is definitely a pleasure to drive, but the Gen2 is a lot more "fun".

Jk, That's probably the best an most unbiased comparison I've read of the Gen II/III in a long time.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm, I never really put "rough, battleaxe ride" together with a car that has a holder for my Grande Mochachino.

Maybe I just dump this loserly Hemi Challenger for one of those ********* SRT's? You cant put a price on those auto open a little bit windows right? Who cares about owning a classic, thats all over blown. At least I will have awesome stopping power!

Yeah, its all about the performance for some I guess. For others its about something else. The SRT has been, and from the way the are scrambling to make the coupe a carbon copy of the GTS, chasing the GTS. I cant wait for them to change the logo back to Sneaky Pete that will be the ultimate beg for forgiveness. They did what ford did with the GT40, except they did it after a few years.

Bill I lend you my car for the weekend over the summer. You will see the light. Granted the looks could not hold a candle to my Old Gts. But the car is just better all around. Call me!!!

1465DSC00449-med.JPG

1465165SilverBlueGTS-med.jpg

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How did you feel about the bolster in the seats Chuck? I've never driven one for any lenth of time but they feel much tighter than the Gen II and I'm thinking that could be a pain on long trips.

6'5 285. Seats in my gen II fit like a glove. The seats in my Srt? Well lets just say it is like being on the crapper with a phone book under each cheek!! :D

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only flaw in the analogy- that fine chick will get worse with age. The RT/10 and GTS cars though... like fine wine.

That's why you ALWAYS keep the cars.....and upgrade the women to a new model every couple of years.

:rolleyes:

cayenne

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT's are nice but they just can't match the Gen II's in looks. When ever I see an SRT I do look at it but when I see a Gen II Viper I look at it as if I don't even own one. I catch myself just staring at them. :usa:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TRAITOR!!

It's amusing, because these are the exact same thoughts I came away with when I first drove the SRT at VOI 7. And that was only after a few laps on the autocross. It was a VERY tough decision, as the looks of the SRT-10 simply have never moved me like the GTS. However I buy my cars to drive them and the SRT was a better performer in every respect. And even some of your biggest SRT detractors will agree that duplicating that overall performance on a Gen I/II is a five-figure task - if it can be done at all. Easy to whip the horsepower, a little tougher to match the brakes, and darn near impossible to duplicate the chassis dynamics.

Using the "girlfriend" analogy, it works out like this: One is an absolute knockout with a good personality. You get along well, but she is somewhat high-maintenance. Do the wrong thing and she goes off - sometimes to the point of no return. You can carry on a conversation, but she is difficult to figure out more often than not. However the "latest" girlfriend, while not stunning in the looks department is just great to hang out with. You communicate much better, you understand her more and have less of a fear of ******* her off for no apparent reason. The bottom line is that if you look for style over substance, your old girlfriend was definitely the way to go - especially if you want to impress your friends. However if you are looking to enjoy yourself without that outside influence, your new girlfriend is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my GTS something fierce and am still not thrilled by the looks of the SRT - or the new Coupe for that matter. But I bought this car to drive it and it does that better in every respect. I just wish it thrilled me as much as my GTS did and have my fingers crossed that SRT has some incredible stuff in store for the Gen IV.

Welcome to the Dark Side, TVC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang