The SRT/10 owns

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the performance of the 10 too, but you have to admit the heritage just isn't there.... its just not a viper...

if we let up we'll all be racing caddies....

It is absolutely ALL VIPER. What impressed me as much as the performance was the ********* ride. It didn't feel anything like a Caddy. In fact, it felt like our Vipers - except more so!

The seats are tight in the hips. And that isn't just because I'm a lardbutt. I have some 180lb friends that say the same thing about the tight seats.

Jay, I'd love to run a SRT against your 97. Only change is Hoosiers right?

But no worries brothas. TVC aint gittin' rid of the Gen IIs for nothing. I'll just have to find a way to become Three Viper Chuck.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the "girlfriend" analogy, it works out like this: One is an absolute knockout with a good personality. You get along well, but she is somewhat high-maintenance. Do the wrong thing and she goes off - sometimes to the point of no return. You can carry on a conversation, but she is difficult to figure out more often than not. However the "latest" girlfriend, while not stunning in the looks department is just great to hang out with. You communicate much better, you understand her more and have less of a fear of ******* her off for no apparent reason. The bottom line is that if you look for style over substance, your old girlfriend was definitely the way to go - especially if you want to impress your friends. However if you are looking to enjoy yourself without that outside influence, your new girlfriend is the way to go.

That is why we all need two girlfriends! :2tu:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is DIRECTLY Pointed at TVC and Chris!! Fellas, Can't you simply get the best outta both worlds by upgrading a GTS with Gen III seats and brakes? I'd see this as a win win situation. You'd have the SRT's Mastery of the Track with the brakes and the Gen III seats that would make any baseball that was locked in a baseball mitt jealous ;) Most importantly, you'd have the Gen II looks that are killer.

(For Everybody)

Thoughts? or have either of you or anyone for that matter tracked a Gen II with Gen III brakes and found similar comparison.

Jay K.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is DIRECTLY Pointed at TVC and Chris!! Fellas, Can't you simply get the best outta both worlds by upgrading a GTS with Gen III seats and brakes? I'd see this as a win win situation. You'd have the SRT's Mastery of the Track with the brakes and the Gen III seats that would make any baseball that was locked in a baseball mitt jealous ;) Most importantly, you'd have the Gen II looks that are killer.

(For Everybody)

Thoughts? or have either of you or anyone for that matter tracked a Gen II with Gen III brakes and found similar comparison.

Jay K.

It's not just the brakes that are more advanced in the Gen III, it's also a much different chassis that aids in decreasing braking distances.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck wrote:
Jay, I'd love to run a SRT against your 97. Only change is Hoosiers right?

Not quite:
18" rims
E brake mod for rear 18's to fit.
hoosier

but why would you need hoosier's?, I run street tires all the time and run you down with your hoosiers, it nice looking at the reflection of my car, in those pearly white egg shell stripes of old #34.

We'll be at morroso Speedway this Saturday. Bring the SRT. It will be fun.

-------------------------------
Florida Vipers Racing #32 GTS-R

Nich0las

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very suprised at the power difference of the two. At the track there is larger difference than I thought there would be, even with mods on a GENII. What rwhp does a GEN II put down?

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry fellow gen I&II owners but the SRT has performance all over our rides. I spent the past few days putting a few hundred miles on an 04 and the car flat out beats our balls, while still retaining the Viper trademark rough, battleaxe ride image. It really got me hungry for the coupe later this year.

Even on looks it got thumbs from rabid fans, although still nothing compares to the style of ours. But style is second to performance gents.

TRAITOR!!

It's amusing, because these are the exact same thoughts I came away with when I first drove the SRT at VOI 7. And that was only after a few laps on the autocross. It was a VERY tough decision, as the looks of the SRT-10 simply have never moved me like the GTS. However I buy my cars to drive them and the SRT was a better performer in every respect. And even some of your biggest SRT detractors will agree that duplicating that overall performance on a Gen I/II is a five-figure task - if it can be done at all. Easy to whip the horsepower, a little tougher to match the brakes, and darn near impossible to duplicate the chassis dynamics.

Using the "girlfriend" analogy, it works out like this: One is an absolute knockout with a good personality. You get along well, but she is somewhat high-maintenance. Do the wrong thing and she goes off - sometimes to the point of no return. You can carry on a conversation, but she is difficult to figure out more often than not. However the "latest" girlfriend, while not stunning in the looks department is just great to hang out with. You communicate much better, you understand her more and have less of a fear of ******* her off for no apparent reason. The bottom line is that if you look for style over substance, your old girlfriend was definitely the way to go - especially if you want to impress your friends. However if you are looking to enjoy yourself without that outside influence, your new girlfriend is the way to go.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my GTS something fierce and am still not thrilled by the looks of the SRT - or the new Coupe for that matter. But I bought this car to drive it and it does that better in every respect. I just wish it thrilled me as much as my GTS did and have my fingers crossed that SRT has some incredible stuff in store for the Gen IV.

Welcome to the Dark Side, TVC.

Y2K5SRT:

I understand your girlfriend analogy, and I think it's very good. While both cars are great, I still think it's too bad that one has to choose between the best looks and the best performance.