The usual tire question!

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Folks,

I appreciate that this sort of thread has been posted many times before but, after looking for old threads, it seems the choice on which tire is best (mainly down to cost) is very time specific. So...

My car just failed it's MOT (UK road worthiness certificate) on the tread on the rear tires and needing to source new ones now.
Not sure what to go for though. The car will mainly be used now for road legal drag type stuff so do I:
1) go with a sticky tire that will also be suitable for limited road use
or
2) buy good road tires AND a separate set (still road legal) but explicitly for the strip?

Advice on brands and suppliers would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance.

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Depends on Horsepower, year car, weather conditions to name a few. My car is twin turbo, but I mainly drive on local roads & Interstates. And I needed tires that will last more than 3 - 4,000 miles. I chose Michelin PS2's. Could use more traction, but very happy with them :burnout: Option # 2

OP
OP
V

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on Horsepower, year car, weather conditions to name a few. My car is twin turbo, but I mainly drive on local roads & Interstates. And I needed tires that will last more than 3 - 4,000 miles. I chose Michelin PS2's. Could use more traction, but very happy with them :burnout: Option # 2

Car has a Paxton fitted but not fully mapped yet. Will be aiming for 700rwhp though. It's a 1996 RT/10. I'll do a bit of driving on local roads but mainly getting to and from track. The weather here is 'changeable' but I only take it when it's dry and air temp >5C.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car will mainly be used now for road legal drag type stuff

??????? What is ROAD legal drag stuff????

If you need street tires get Michelin's.
If you need drag stip tires, get slicks. They will never pass inspection on the road....
If you need something inbetween, get Kumho's, thread wear is nominal and they are ok on street and on track. But not great at either one.

I took the Kumhos, car darts allover on the road, but runs through corners like a ***** moose.
Good enough for me.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weather here is 'changeable' but I only take it when it's dry and air temp >5C.

So you're looking for a tire that can be used two, maybe three times a year? ;)

Yeah, go with two sets. You can't really take a chance on near-slick stuff like K710's....if you get caught in the wet you're screwed. Maximize pleasure on the road with PS2s and maximize fun on the strip with DRs.

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings fellow Vipers, my experience with Kumho V70 hard compound is pretty good. The tyres need a lot of warming and care should be paid at damp patches when the tyres are cold.

The tyres are communicative and responsive when at warm / operating temperature. I prefer 32-34 psi all around. I have tried lower psi (28-30), but a little roll which develops at deep corners makes me unhappy! 34 psi plants the car well and corresponds better with the suspension.

The wear of the Kumhos V70 is acceptable. Better than PSIIs, but wear patterns depend on how you take off!!!

In wet conditions, the tyres are twitchy, but you would expect this as a result of their excessive width.

In conclusion, expect 5000 miles max from rear tyres with “regular use”.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the Kumhos are a DOT (Department of Transport) Rated tire here in the UK?

Scott, Check with Nadine ;)

I think the only tires available in the UK are Pirelli P zero rosso and Michelin PS2. You can also get Toyo Proxy's R888, but these are a soft compound street strip tire so they will not last as long as the Michelin, (they were also on back order due to the tsunami problems in Japan) ;)

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Kumhos V70 are UK road legal. They are designated as track tyres, but the grooves have the required legal depth. I strongly recommend them, as I have cars with them both in the UK and Canada.