The VEC2 Update was Easy

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did the VEC2 update to firmware version 5.79 to get the new logging features and the current updates. The new serial interface works well and the firmware update was easy. I haven't run the car yet, but I like the new features and the update process is nice. I look forward to future updates. The only pain was recreating my 105 cards using the new software. I like the new ability to download card changes through the serial port interface instead of using the smart cards, I can visually verify that my updates have been made.

Thanks Sean, the product keeps getting better.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to hear. I have browsed the new software, but have yet to direct connect to the car and go live. Hopefully will read about it tonite and try tomorrow.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could say mine was so easy...I keep getting time out errors when I try to load the firmware. I reloaded everything and will retry on Friday after the holiday. I have a car stuck on the dyno and I can't add any advance until I have the update loaded. This is the first vec 2 I have had with the advance hiccup in it. I am under the impression that this only occurs on normally aspirated versions while trying to add timing. It will not take any advance under 2500 without inducing a dead miss creating a reverse spike on the dyno graph. Otherwise the software looks very cool.
Later,
Joe

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I updated mine last night in about 20 minutes. The only error I got was my "com" port was different, so I just changed the setting in the software and it worked without a hitch.

BUT NOW, I am getting a fluttering or mis around 4700 rpm's everytime I add timing. I guess it may be the dreading V-notch. Before the update I did get it when adding timing. Then when I run a card with ZERO timing it clears.

Plan on logging a little this morning. The direct connect will be a nice option IF and WHEN the wideband a/f logging becomes a reality with the VEC2.

Also I saw the pseudo dyno software is still in the works. That should be interesting when it comes out.

John

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JDawg:

Please post your advance (when notch is present) from 3500 to 5000, and what the notch looks like.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack

after testing yesterday(on the road) I found out I could not add more than (roughly) 3 degrees after 4500 rpms without "feeling" the flutter or getting a misfire code(300). I did not graph the event on a dyno, just with the LM1. I tried the logging with the vec2 and I keep getting a "real time" error. The LM1 showed an irratic a/f around that rpm range as well.

I was connected to the VEC2 and put my timing to all zeros and the car ran fine up to 5800 rpms. No breakups.

Before the updates I was running 8 degrees advance from 4000 to 5000 and then down to 3 degrees after 5000.

The only difference in the car is the colder plugs for the nitrous. Other than that the updates are the only other thing that has changed.

John

ps - all in all I like the new functions and ease of use of the direct connect. It is more convienient and with the a/f readings right there I can essentially make changes on the fly. Certainly has helped with the nitrous as well.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi John,
Was that with firmware 5.79? If it was FW 5.78, update it to FW 5.79 by downloading your file at http://www.roeracing.com/support/index.asp .
The firmware that we first came out with on the naturally aspirated cars was FW5.75. That was the one that got the V-notch when adding more than a few degrees advance. We fixed that by updating the systems with a new firmware (5.76), which took care of it.
Give me a call at the shop on the toll free line early in the week if you're having trouble. I can e-mail you the firmware file for 5.76 if you want to test it, but it doesn't have logging. We ran the heck out of the new firmware on NA and forced induction with lots of advance (10 degrees) on NA and didn't have any trouble.
Let me know what FW you were on (view it with direct connection "info" button) and send me a log if possible.
Regards,
Sean

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx Sean. A couple of months ago when I sent my VEC2 to you, you updated it and on the bottom it said 5.76.

Since I am getting the error when logging I will try and download the firmware from your site for my box.

Thanks
John

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the update over the holiday. Went smoothly once I remembered to hook the gnd wire up on the RS232 connection.

I hooked the output of my Dynojet WBO2 into the VEC2 and was able to log A/F. Seemed to work fine. Only complaint is that the results are shown in 0-5V scale rather than as the actual A/F ratio, so you have to do the conversion in your head. Be nice if you could just select a conversion factor in the software.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is interesting Ken. What conversation are you using?

What would 13:1 a/f be in volts?

John

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Be nice if you could just select a conversion factor in the software.

If you have a scale of what voltage equals what AF ratio on your Dynojet WB, we can write a sensor definition and add it to the configuration file. That's what we did using the stock O2 sensors. Just takes a few minutes.
E-mail me if you have the data. [email protected]

Regards,
Sean

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be nice if you could just select a conversion factor in the software.

If you have a scale of what voltage equals what AF ratio on your Dynojet WB, we can write a sensor definition and add it to the configuration file. That's what we did using the stock O2 sensors. Just takes a few minutes.
E-mail me if you have the data. [email protected]

Regards,
Sean

Per the Widebandcommander.com website, the math is (Volts*1.6)+10 = AFR

A complete xls sheet can be found here: http://www.widebandcommander.com/content/dataacq.xls

I don't know if all WBO sensors with a 0-5V output will behave the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc