The Verdict is in HMS vs DLM :B:

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all a sincere thanks to all who have assisted in my decision with your precious time and experience. I Greatly appreciate your response.

My upgrade decision was narrowed to two supertuners. HMS vs DLM! To be honest my choice was John Hennessy. He returned my call promptly. Sent me out the magazine coverage and a super nice video. I was comletely set on sending him my car! I posted a ? concerning him, and boy was I overwhelmed. Hundreds of emails of warnings!!! I called John to talk about this and it was pushed off as jealousy. I was still determined to use him! I wanted a car just like the magazine! I called John and committed my car to him last week sometime. Yes even with all the bad sayings, HMS was going to build my car.

I was advised to Give DLM a call just to check him out, so I did. He was very nice and helpful (very Busy also) but my mind for some reason was set on HMS. I talked to several folks and have determined that John Hennessy is one of the Best tuners in the business. Possibly at times, THE BEST. But during the recent circulation of even more garbage. I have decided to pull the plug. I can't afford to roll the dice his way!

I have chosen DLM because of his superior reputation!!! He has the utmost respect from all! Not just his happy Customers! I feel like I am 100% safe with this decision! I have not talked or heard one bad remark about this man. For this reason, I send my car and my cash his way next week!

Again thanks for all the input, who knows where we would be without the information on this board.

I am buy no means trash talking HMS I feel he is still one of the best. He just has to get some things straightened out. I hope he does! When i win the raffle i might send that one to him, if the dirty laundry is washed.

David Boggs
DR ROOF
98 red GTS
Soon To be DLM Supercharged
bounce.gif
INTERCOOLED

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
you won't be disappointed. Doug is a great guy and sincere too. He hugs me everytime I see him with tears in his eyes. Heh!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your very wise.

I too wanted to use hms for just a cat back when i purchased my car from woodhouse.
Nothing major just want something with the HMS name... not enough cash for a real upgrade. this was Feb 2001.
I couldnt get anyone to answer the phone there or give me a call back. so i went with something else.

HMS will be great again someday if he can make the customers he had,happy????

good luck lets us know how you do.
JIM

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will never know how lucky you were....great call....

an ounce of prevention....blah blah...

I wish DLM was not on the opposite side of the country for me....I would be soooo there.....

As for HMS....I would rather have a fire ant enima..than give him my money....I was dumb once with HMS because I did not listen...that is all it took...

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,
Good move! I understand the feeling of being set on some guy and somehow not listening to the bad stuff. I am glad that you finally wised up and switched your choice. I was thinking that I would see you here in 6mos saying you were right and I should have chosen someone else. I have never heard anything bad about Doug. Besides that fact that he builds good cars, he is supposed to be a straight up guy! Good luck.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost bought from HMS just after I got my GTS. Got as far as paying only to be told his company only accepts American Express. Well I dont have an Amex card but MY company will accept any card offered. Whats going on there ?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Roof:
.... I send my car and my cash his way next week!...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly question of the day here, but why does everybody think it's necessary to send money up front? Don't other successful businesses stock inventory and have the ability to work with their money and not the customer's? I don't pay for work a dealer does on my wife's car in advance and they don't ask for any, even if it's an engine. Heck, the shop will have your car and your certainly not going to be allowed to pick it up without paying for it. Maybe if it's a big money project, a down payment may be required (as well as a signed agreement with schedules), but for the most part, shops get net 30 terms on the parts bill. Why would you pay all that money up front? Seems like a lot of exposure for the car owner.

Just my .02 and is a general statement, not directed toward any particular tuner shop.

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 02-10-2002 at 12:13 PM</font>

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could understand smaller items, but if you offered a large engine package, perhaps your views would change. Not mean as a flame...

Gerald

OP
OP
D

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leestaig,

I called TNT first! they sent me a brochure and never followed up. I even called back for some follow up questions left message no return call.
????????????

I only sent a deposit! balance is due upon completion. I have no problem with that. (As long as business practices seems safe)
David

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dr Roof, excellent choice! I've never had a problem (or even a doubt) sending my car and money to DLM. He's a reputable supertuner that cares more about his customers than just accepting your money. After sending my second car I've learned to be patient. Doug spends a lot of time on his cars and you'll see with the results.

To date, I've spent over $50k with DLM and never had much of anything in writing. I value being able to business on a handshake with DLM.

Max

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, Dr. Roof...

I think it says a lot that...

1) You won't find ANYONE with a bad thing to say about DLM
2) His word is apparently as good as any contract. I think that's a big part of what's missing in business these days - genuine and honest folks.
3) Everyone with a DLM car seems *thrilled*

I'm jealous! I wish I had a DLM car getting done!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr Roof:
...I only sent a deposit! balance is due upon completion...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that's the way it should be done. I bet Taig Stewart wishes he had done the same with his tuner of choice.
Like I said, this was not a comment directed toward any particular *tuner shop*. It just seems like people forget *things* can happen. What if you sent the money and your car to a shop without written receipts / agreements and the owner of the shop died in an auto accident or of a heart attack? You have to CYA going into the deal.

Furthermore, I'm sure Doug will do a great job on your car. I had Scott Patrick's in here right after he got it back and the plumbing / bracketry work looked good. Keep us posted on the progress.

Reaction score
David -

Thank you for allowing DLM the privilege and opportunity to build your snake! I won't let you down!

We're pleased you chose us over any other options you may have had available to upgrade your Viper. I know it was a tuff decision when there are so many talented tuners out there to do the job.

Once again.... Thanks!

Doug
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960