The worst thing about owning a Viper

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the three months of owning my Viper I have grown to love it. As that is recently I have found the downside to owning a Viper: Anyone with a magazine subscription can tell you what you should have bought. Case in point I was over at my buddies house about a week ago when his cocky know it all 20 year old friend (I am 26) began talking (in a rather rude know it all way) how I should have bought an NSX. While I like NSXs I explained to him as calmly as I could that I would rather have a car with 1 1/2 times the horse power and twice the torque rather than an overpriced and underpowered rice burner (Don't get me wrong I do like NSXs but this guy was making me nuts). Then he proceeds to say once I drive an NSX I could never go back to my Viper. I then ask him if he has ever driven an NSX he says "no". He hasn't driven a Viper either. The nerve of this guy.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the worst thing for you about owning a Viper, you are a luck man.

Insecurity breeds attacks on the Viper. For every one guy like him, there are twenty who will yell and scream in excitement over your car.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the worst thing for you about owning a Viper, you are a luck man.

Insecurity breeds attacks on the Viper. For every one guy like him, there are twenty who will yell and scream in excitement over your car.

I here you. Most people love the car. It shouldn't bother me this much but this guy, he just wouldn't stop. I am really easy going but when it comes to my car I just can't handle "know it alls" like him.

I just had to vent

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I then ask him if he has ever driven an NSX he says "no". He hasn't driven a Viper either. The nerve of this guy.

Wait, wait! Let me finish the story for you...

Then, the punk gets in to his rusted/primered '92 Honda Accord (with the big wing) and drives home to his parent's basement where he falls asleep reading "Japanese Tuner" magazine, swimsuit edition.

How'd I do?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I then ask him if he has ever driven an NSX he says "no". He hasn't driven a Viper either. The nerve of this guy.

Wait, wait! Let me finish the story for you...

Then, the punk gets in to his rusted/primered '92 Honda Accord (with the big wing) and drives home to his parent's basement where he falls asleep reading "Japanese Tuner" magazine, swimsuit edition.

How'd I do?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

LOL amazingly close

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, you can use that ending for any story about a teen to 20-something kid who's debating an owner of a Viper.

When I bring my Stingray to the local car shows, there's always one little ****-bucket trying to impress his *****-stamped and/or pierced girlfriend by announcing "My CRX will beat that car!".

I answered one kid "I'll race you for her" (pointing to his girlfriend). He just grabbed her by the hand and walked away.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I drove an NSX and obviously a Viper also.

I thought the NSX was a nice little car, but I didn't think it was worth the money plus it didn't have a personality of an "exotic" car.

Part of owning a Viper is that you are considered a big dog and every snotty little teen or someone who doesn't have a viper will say something to put it down. So basically you become a target for these rice burning kids who think they know everything because what car and driver or import car mags tell them. The only car I really have respect for that is an import are supras. I would take a supra over an NSX any day! I have a person who is talking ***** about my car and he drives a Mits Eclipse.

But also too, by you taking the comments to heart means you are proud of what you have and will stick up for it. I am sure part of being upset is all the hard work you put into it to obtain that car so it's just not a car to you but something that sort of represents you?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I get tons of know it all comments which I find funny. I think the worst comments are the "I have a friend who," or "my dad has a." I hate being compared to some guy you met at McDonalds who has a faster/cooler car than me. If you do not own it, please do not compare it to what I actually own. :rolleyes:

As for the NSX, I have driven it and every other Japanese sports car, RX-7TT, SupraTT, 300ZTT, 3000gtTT. The Supra is the HP king but the NSX has something special. I have to say the NSX is a great car and puts a smile on your face when you drive it. The only problem is it is sooooo slow. Actually it is distractingly slow and it gets annoying. You can put on a SCer or whatever and it is still slower than a stock Viper. So for fast car lovers, the NSX does not have enough go. :usa:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the looks and attention while driving the viper has prevented me from picking my nose while driving. John

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed limits are the worse things!! :p

Then again, alot of Closed Course Tracks are supposed to be opening up around here in the spring! :p

SnakeBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tought the worst thing about a Viper are the Speeding Tickets you will rack up! Maybe it's just me??

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't worry man...I get that all the time. Even from older folks. Being 20 something and owning a S/C Viper for that fact, I get it from both the old and young. But all you have to say is ok, go get your car and we can give it a go...then silence.

With that being said, the worst thing about owning a Viper at this age is....my wife not being too happy about all the 20 something girls that want a ride... :cool:

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the worst comments are the "I have a friend who," or "my dad has a." I hate being compared to some guy you met at McDonalds who has a faster/cooler car than me. If you do not own it, please do not compare it to what I actually own. :rolleyes:

I second that!! I always get someone who just saw a new episode of autoweek and they say the new 2005 XXXXXXXXXX is going to be a real "snake ******". And this is always from some guy driving a ****** that wants to rain on your parade. I always say, "Good thing you know that. Now go buy a 2005 XXXXXXXXX and let me know how you like it"

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bad thing(or is it a good thing)about owning a Viper is that it's styling screams "you wish you could look this good" so people that are jealous feel they need to bring it down from the lofty plane that it resides on.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven a few NSXes, and I own an RT/10.

The NSX looks nice, but they are really, really sloooowww. The Viper looks nicer, handles better, has an engine to match it's exoticness...It's just 10x the car.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off the top of my head. (*I own a GTS, and have driven many NSX's)

The NSX has over the Viper:

1.) Fit & Finish - BIGTIME
2.) Aluminum Body Panels beats our resin
3.) Some consider Mid-Engine the ultimate
4.) Comfort - BIGTIME
5.) Reliability (Stock vs. Stock). Although the Viper is still very reliable.

Viper has over the NSX:

1.) Appearance - BIGTIME
2.) HP - BIGTIME
3.) Torque - BIGTIME
4.) Sound - BIGTIME, but aftermarket exhaust required
5.) Grip
6.) Chassis Stiffness
7.) Lap Times
8.) Top Speed
9.) Resale
10.) 'Fun Factor'
11.) 'WOW Factor'
12.) Reliability - once modified. NSX's don't respond real well to mods. Weak clutch/gearbox, and the engine is limited.

My .02

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.) Reliability - once modified. NSX's don't respond real well to mods. Weak clutch/gearbox, and the engine is limited.

My .02

Regarding Mods I heard that the early cars (91-96) have Titanium rods or something like that were they became extreamly unrealiable when moded to over 400 hp. Is that right?

Regarding 7 (Lap Times) I think your right but it would be nice to have more proof on this. Anyone with real world experiance?

It would be nice to be armed with a little more info on the NSX so the next time this guy comes around I can defend my car better.

Thanks,
Dan

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apples and oranges baby!
What other car can you drive that makes you sport wood?
I've only found one and guess what it is......

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My .02

Regarding Mods I heard that the early cars (91-96) have Titanium rods or something like that were they became extreamly unrealiable when moded to over 400 hp. Is that right?

Regarding 7 (Lap Times) I think your right but it would be nice to have more proof on this. Anyone with real world experiance?

It would be nice to be armed with a little more info on the NSX so the next time this guy comes around I can defend my car better.

Thanks,
Dan

Forget about your boy, he's smoking crack. Stock NSX's dyno around 240 RWHP, give or take. A high compression ratio and small displacement is not a good recipe for mods/forced induction. But, toss some mega-bucks into the NSX and you may hit 380 RWHP. Then, you need to spend even more money swapping the clutch, strengthing or changing the gear box and other drive line components. All this doe and you STILL haven't reached the STOCK HP of a Gen II Viper (400 - 420 RWHP). And were not measuring torque, which isn't even close. Of course a Gen III and were up to 450 RWHP. With the same amount of money in mods and your at the 800 RWHP mark in a Viper with the stock clutch and tranny.

It's pretty much universally known among grassroots racers that a Viper turns much faster times than an NSX with equal drivers. It's really not even a contest/debate. How do you convince your buddy? Well, just go to NSXPRIME.com and ask the NSX owners. Honest owners will acknowledge that the Viper is a much faster car, but still prefer the NSX for other reasons. Nothing wrong with that..... The real argument is the NSX vs. Corvette (C5) (Not Z06). Many Corvette owners claim to beat up on these guys at the track, as there performance is very similar with the Vette having a slight HP/Torque advantage. Either way that would make for a more evenly matched race.

If he needs more proof Car & Driver did a handling test on cars over $30,000. Here is the performance link to that section of the article (Bottom of page). The Viper lapped Nelson Ledges Raceway nearly 5 seconds faster than the NSX (1.17 vs 1.22). THAT IS AN ETERNITY ON A SHORT TRACK!

http://mlounge.home.comcast.net/CD_article/pg9.html

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you should make peace with your ricer friend.
Burn him a CD with just one song on it.
"Turning Japanese" by the Vapors

I have one of these special CD's and it is fun to turn it up loud next to rice burners at the lights.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see...

The Stupid questions about it are annoying

The Rice kids that tell me I should have bought an Evo and put the extra money in it to make it run 10's ( I just tell em I already have a Chevelle that does that)

"I have a freind with a (enter ricer car name here) that beat one of those once"

"How fast have you gone in it"

:crazy:

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the finger and body prints. You know, when you posing girls on it and then you have to get out the Zaino and everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude