Theft History and Resale Value

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were contemplating a Viper purchase and the car has a history of theft, partial strip and recovery how would it affect your decision? If the missing parts ($1000 worth) were replaced and there was no structural damage would you shy away from the car completely or just use the theft history as a bargaining chip to lower the price?

IOW, how much lower than market value would it have to be priced to interest you?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that the car should lose the same range in value as a car involved in an accident.
Personally wouldnt consider the car unless it had a deep discount.With my luck there will be future problems with the car or when I go to sell it.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was a simple theft, and it was put together correctly, not much lower. I would be more concerned about an accident with frame damge.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theft history would be of no concern unless I see related damages to either frame or engine. But it doesn't harm to use it as a bargaining chip.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd take option B: use it as a barganing chip.

Just a couple thousand Less than i would have already negotiated the price down to would be good enough for me.

If it was just something jacked like the wheels &or stereo then i wouldnt worry about it at all. That stuff happens all the time.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters! New car? Used car? Very used car?

Something is fishy..... Crooks are not geniuses, but who would STEAL a VIPER and strip $1000 worth of stuff. It is hard to do ONLY $1000 damage!

Something smells bad, and it aint the litterbox.....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its gonna effect value, but id like to hear and see more..... sounds like there is a lot more to the story like whats been said.

id guess, same drop in value as a salvage title. which id buy if the price reflects it.

OP
OP
J

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Year Matters! New car? Used car? Very used car?

'97 GTS with 20K miles, red, good condition.

Something is fishy..... Crooks are not geniuses, but who would STEAL a VIPER and strip $1000 worth of stuff. It is hard to do ONLY $1000 damage!

Something smells bad, and it aint the litterbox.....

Jon, you sold me the replacement parts....radio, jack, spare tire, floor mats. Dealer fully inspected the car after recovery and found no damage. I asked the same question, why strip it and abandon it but that's what happened. Been driving it for six years since the recovery and no issues.

Now I'm stuck with a car that has a Carfax report and need to know if real Viper people (not car dealers) think the circumstances kill the value that much.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There IS the term "Drive it like you Stole it". And that could have happened, but if you have driven it for 6 years...probably not an issue. How many miles have you put on it yourself?

PBR

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And now we know the REST of the story...you're not buying, but selling. And as a wise man said, The Year Matters.

No wonder the restoration was so inexpensive..... the parts came from PartsRack !!

If you share your true name I am happy to document our involvement from 6 years ago. At least one long-term vendor may be able to help you corroborate the 'restoration' of $1000 of parts. Sounds like a souvenier hunter took photos...did they steal the nose emblem?

[email protected]

OP
OP
J

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Invoice #5316, and, yea, they took the nose emblem. Probably hanging on a gold chain around some ******'s neck. :D

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like they did you a favor by taking the radio :) Hopefully you got it replaced with a better one.

Who the heck would have taken the floor mats, jack and spare? I hope the cops kept their eyes open for a GTS that got stuck in the mud, driver tried to use the floor mats for traction, got momentary traction but launched the tire into something that flattened it, tried to change the tire - but got the jack hopelessly stuck in the mud, realized their spare was flat and unusable anyway, and then got so pissed that they punched their stereo and broke it. Probably was within walking distance of your house or whever your car was parked.

Any No. Cal VCA members ever describe a situation like that? :)