Thermostat change

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my stat might be going bad. After pulling the intake will I need new gaskets or are the old ones reusable?

Also is it possible to gut the stat? Remove the core of it so it stays open?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard that intake gaskets are reusable, but if your are original, ditch them. Mine were $28.00 for the pair, '01 GTS.

You need a thermostat. The engine has to warm up to some temperature or the PCM will go berserk trying to figure out the problem. Like why the engine is staying so cold and/or inconsistent.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would not gut it, maybe drill a hole or 2 in it to let air pass through. With no thermostat it will take forever to get the oil up to temp.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted, change the intake gaskets. Be prepared for corrosion at the thermostat housing itself. Think about the o-rings for the fuel line as well. Two potential points you can disconnect at, A) the intake manifold B) The quick disconnect near the bell housing

Now will be a good time to clean all the oil built up in the intake track, clean the throttle bodies as well as the Idle air control valve. There is a water hose that comes off the thermostat housing, if youv'e never changed it, now would be the time. Simple job is starting to snowball, but it's safe insurance.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't gut it. Get a 180 or 170 degree stat. I have a 170 degree stat in my GEN1 and regardless of what people say about needing a flash, I find that it keeps the engine cooler just fine by itself.

And replace all your gaskets needed to get in there, The're all paper anyways.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck the 180 will be great for around here, gauge still reads around 190 normal, but while at highway speeds, dips lower than 180. Pcv easy to change while you are there.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, you should change everything you can that is easy/cheap to do while you're in there. As for PCV mentioned above, I don't believe the 98s had those, but could be wrong. Will this get you access to the power steering bracket? Might be a good time for DLM's stronger one, I had that replaced in my 98, holding both in your hands, the upgraded one is amazingly stronger (and heavier).

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do Slaughter. I've alreagy got DLM ps bracket and an aluminum pulley. I got them when I replaced them on the GTS. I have to buy two of everything y'know. :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I would definitely replace the gasket. The thermostat itself has two stacked moving sleeves - a small one to begin sending hot block water to the heater soon after cold startup, and a larger one that unshrouds the return to the radiator under higher demand loading. I would recommend drilling two 3/16" diameter holes a little above the bottom of the larger sleeve. This will *immensely* aid burping the cooling system when the motor is cold.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going with the 180 degree thermostat, it's available at Napa (PN# 613080). It's the same part for the Dodge Trucks according to Chuck Tator.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My thermostat housing is beginning to seep. Will have to replace the gasket. 30K miles on 2002 GTS. Two questions:

Should I replace the thermostat?

Do I have to completely remove the intake manifold or can I just lift it out of the way?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My thermostat housing is beginning to seep. Will have to replace the gasket. 30K miles on 2002 GTS. Two questions:

Should I replace the thermostat?

Do I have to completely remove the intake manifold or can I just lift it out of the way?

Yes, replace it. For $55 it's a no brainer. I can't tell you enough how much I like my 170 degree stat. At least get a 180 if you fear low temps.

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, replace it. For $55 it's a no brainer. I can't tell you enough how much I like my 170 degree stat. At least get a 180 if you fear low temps.

Where did you get the 170 degree t-stat, is it available at a local Napa or auto parts store? Do you have a part number by any chance?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just spoke to a local Napa store and the PN # for the the 170 degree t-stat is 613070. Both the 180 and 170 cost less than $30. I think Mopar sells the 180 at over $100.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted, change the intake gaskets. Be prepared for corrosion at the thermostat housing itself. Think about the o-rings for the fuel line as well. Two potential points you can disconnect at, A) the intake manifold B) The quick disconnect near the bell housing

1998 Service Manual pg 14-5 says the o-rings are not serviceable. Have you got other information?