These are great times were living in...

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This really is the best the HP wars have ever been. Chevy has just announced their new moter that is the Z06 motor with a supercharger on it for their "new" Vette. Ford is comming out with their 725HP Shelby Mustang. Now I do think that these HP numbers are very extreme, but there is our beloved Viper among all of this? It's "only" :omg: at 600 HP. I'm just hopeing that Dodge and SRT have something big to put all of these other bad boys to rest once and for all and once again be the king of the mountain !

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the SRT engineers came into our VCA forum they said they were aware of the competition...and told us "not to worry, we are ready for them."

That means we should not worry. Anyway, if they do not respond in time, there is always DC, Heffner, Doug Levin, CPE Performance, etc. I know all the tuners void warranties...but they also prepare Vipers that even Bugatti's may not be able to touch!

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of my favorite things about these cars is that they look stock from the outside and can be making anywhere from 420hp to 1500hp at the wheel. You just never know what they have until it's to late. I would rarely get takers when I pulled up in the NOVA....the built motor is real easy to hear. Can't wait to see what SRT has for 09

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I won't ever stop saying this...

Base Model:C6, SRT-10
Race Model:Z06, ACR

What's the deal with the ZR1's superintercoolcharger thingy? The LS9 needs something to push it to 600hp?

--RS

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they may have an answer for the higher HP numbers but they need a way to plant this power. The current Z06 is rated at 505 hp and the SRT is 510 hp (I think) but still the Z06 destroys in straight line performance. On the track its a different story but not by much. So what I am saying is that The 08 and up Vipers need to be engineered to perform on par if not better in all departments when matched to a car with equal hp. The SRT, from what I hear, needs 50-75 more hps to equal the Z06 in straight performance. Also, when you have guys (very few, 1 or 2) that can push a stock Z06 to 11.2 in the 1/4 and high 10's on DRs stock, that is saying alot about the engineers falling behind on the viper's performance. Back in the 90's nothing could touch the viper, now we have subpar cars handing us our a$$ in some situations. All in all, I would never pick a vet or mustang over my Viper.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, they may have an answer for the higher HP numbers but they need a way to plant this power. The current Z06 is rated at 505 hp and the SRT is 510 hp (I think) but still the Z06 destroys in straight line performance. On the track its a different story but not by much. So what I am saying is that The 08 and up Vipers need to be engineered to perform on par if not better in all departments when matched to a car with equal hp. The SRT, from what I hear, needs 50-75 more hps to equal the Z06 in straight performance. Also, when you have guys (very few, 1 or 2) that can push a stock Z06 to 11.2 in the 1/4 and high 10's on DRs stock, that is saying alot about the engineers falling behind on the viper's performance. Back in the 90's nothing could touch the viper, now we have subpar cars handing us our a$$ in some situations. All in all, I would never pick a vet or mustang over my Viper.

Have you even driven a Viper!?!? I love how you say a z06 destroys in the straight line.... :rolleyes: don't always believe "what you hear"....

I love trolls.... :lmao:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I own two, one I am seating on and the other for fun. My former boss has a regular vet with some mods pushing about 550 and hes running mid 11s on stock tires. Seem a video a stock z06 running 11.2 (if i can find it, ill post). The z06 detroys the viper in straight line performance. If the Z06 has a car plus lenght on the Viper by the 1/4 then in my book that is far from a close race. My boss, for example, has never driven a stick, and the vet is his first sports car, runs mid 11 with 550hp. Also, I am speaking from the stand point of standing starts, not rolls. I am not putting the viper down at all but when it gets beat off the line, it doesnt have a chance to make up with a car pushing similar power. From a rolling start, yes they are even but from digs, the vet gets the jump.
BLWNGTS please prove me wrong that the 07 and earlier Vipers are beating the Z06's in the 1/4. And again, I am talking stock for stock.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SquadX...If you will provide the mods. with a VIN number you will be changed from an enthusiast to a Viper Owner.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol...I ve been told that three times today. When I get home, I'll get the VINs and send to the Admins here.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats Right, I Owned My Viper For Three Months Before I Started Posting And My Status Changed From Enthusiast To Owner In About Three Days. On The Other Subject, Both Vehicles The Viper And Zo6 Are Very Fast, The Difference Will Come Down To The Driver. We All By Vipers For The Hp, And The Image It Represents. (bad To The Bone.) It We Only Wanted Fast 1/4 Mile Cars, We Would Have Purchased Early 90's Model Mustangs And Dropped 15 Grand Into Them; Running 9's And Smoking Everything.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't believe in fairy tales....nor do I believe Motor Trend, Road & Track, etc..

The Vette is like a F1 car...stoopid fast...just alot of legos pieces and glue

I like B767s' Hoosier tires...

Why Is It That Every Word We Type Begins With A Capital Letter?:rolaugh:

--RS

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon rider had it exactly!! I have raced and seen my buddies PULL on a z06 on very similiar vehicles!! It is all in the driver! a good driver is the key.... but I like just having soo much power that I just don't care with what they come with stock... ill take them anyways!!
=)

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides what the mags. report, I speaking also from seeing with my own eyes at drags and street racing. Some morning on my way to work, I see the same b/w coupe racing a red Z06. Its kind of funny because I heading to work, in traffic in one direction and then I see two fast a$$ cars racing (I assume on there way to work) on the opposite side of the street with no traffic...and usually they are dead even or the Z06 is pulling slightly until they hit a large turn (called the s-curve) then they are even or the Viper gains some. After that turn, the road has a down slope and my visibility is gone. My main point is that the Vipers gap has grown pretty small over the Z06, which is a fine piece of machine no matter your opinion of the car. Its nice to see two American Cars eat most exotics for lunch. I also agree it comes down to driver error and the Viper is a more rewarding car to drive because nothing is given to you, which I cant say the same for the Z06, were a beginner can run relatively good times from jump.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon rider had it exactly!! I have raced and seen my buddies PULL on a z06 on very similiar vehicles!! It is all in the driver! a good driver is the key.... but I like just having soo much power that I just don't care with what they come with stock... ill take them anyways!!
=)

Iam not saying it cant be dont but if two equal drives go at it, the Z06, from what I've seen gets the jump on straight line drags. Now if the Viper could plant that power better from a dig then the outcome would be different. More power is always nice but if you cant plant it then its wasted. I wonder if either of these cars will ever come equipped with AWD. I would not be surprised to see it on a vet.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here we go again....the "Stock" ZO Sicks on DR's in the high 10's........I have been MANY times to the 2 local drag strips in the Phoenix area, and the BEST time I saw a ZO Sicks run with drag radials was 11:91!!!! You know that's a FULL second slower than the high tens!! This is one of the local guys who has a reputation for being THE driver of drivers.......I know.....all Vettes run in the LOW 11's stock and yada yada yada......

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On paper the Z06 is faster. It has same hp and weights less, has better gearing. This has been beat to death a million times. There is a guy who ran his Z06 supposedly stock and ran 11.1-11.2's. His home track is also supposed to be one of the better tracks for 1/4 times. Who cares.
There both great cars but very different, the Z06 looks like a C6 and there on every corner and dont turn heads. The Viper gets everyones attention. Secondly, everytime Ive been to track, Ive yet to see a c5 or C6 Z06 run mid 11's. Ive seen new Z06's stock or with exhaust running 12's all day long. Again, who cares. Also Chevy is notorious for underating their cars. I had a Z28 rated at 305 hp, it basically dyno'd that same number at the wheels. I actually saw a bone stock one dyno more at rear wheels then was quoted by Chevy at crank. Then we were all out at track running low 13's and a guy shows up with his new SS and cant run any better then 14.1's. He was pissed.
This will go on forever, its mostly going to come down to driver. One time i got a better launch and stayed ahead of my buddies Paxton Viper, I guess my 500rwhp car is quicker then his 700 rwhp car, maybe its the extra weight of the Paxton......:rolleyes:

Z06 vs Viper , Im faster, No I am...:bdh:

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen 2 z06s run 11.7 and 11.8 on stock tires at Budds creek (MIR). I guess his reputation precedes him. The point of my first post was that with a good driver, a Z06 can run solid 11's and the Viper (with its tricky launch) has a harder time putting up comparable numbers and in the end the Z06 is the faster of the two from a dig in the 1/4. No one wants to hear it but if a car is faster then its faster over a given distance, regardless how you feel about it.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice if the Viper could plant the power better. Instead of adding and adding hp, why not lose weight, upgrade handling (like they did with the SRT) and engineer it to plant the power it has. Hp is nice but what good is it if I am burning through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. I didnt mean to turn this into a Z06 vs viper tread, just used the Z06 as an example. I should of said porsche but then that would have been unfair.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say this but I see no way the Viper can keep increasing hp w/out reducing weight, and/or going to AWD or some form of traction control. Ok, I said it. My Bentley GT is AWD, does not feel the same as the Viper. I would hate for my Viper to have AWD or traction control....but unless you have a 750 hp car that weighs like 2500 lbs like the Saleen, then you have 750 hp spinning tires while the AWD 911 Turbo and Nissan GTR eat your lunch. Face it guys, practically every other exotic car crossing into the 500+ hp range is also improving traction via AWD or traction control.

Now, guys in here are using drag radials and all kinds of means to get the Vipers to stick. But it will come down to simple physics....a 3400 lb car + 800 hp = wheel spin on street tires.
And...a friend of mine w/ a Gen 2 has 774 rwhp, my car w/ Belangers, VEC 3, and SB filters would kick his ass in the 1/4 mile b/c I would jump him 3 cars at the start while he sat there in a cloud of white smoke spinning tires.

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how every one makes such a big deal about the "1" guy who runs the z06 into the low 11's or high 10's. He's made over 100 plus passes on that car and has the traction control working in his favor. Or how Motor Trend is only running a 11.8 with the SRT-10 coupe after 2 or 3 passes blah blah blah.

Point is the horsepower war has always been there, it's who's driving the cars at the track. More owners need to take em down, practice and show them what they're spending all that money on. Not just dyno king or horsepower numbers.:drive:

Bruce

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to note is HP doesn't necessarily translate to performance, a 750 hp mustang would be blown away by a 600 hp viper. infact a 490 hp new skyline can wipe the floor with the 600 hp shelby supersnake..i guess ford thinks if they just keep making the hp go up the car will get better? I bet a 750hp mustang would be just terrible..there just not designed for that much hp

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My goodness, I must be a professional grade drag racer, as bone stock on runcraps I've raced C6Z06's at the drag strip side by side 5 times and won 4 times, turning 11's to their 12.0-12.3's. Oh, and Ive taken my Viper to the track twice.

As for tricky to launch, I just don't know where this myth comes from. Maybe I'm just used to the 500-600 rwhp stangs I've run the past 20 yrs, but the Viper is the easiest car I've ever run at the drag strip, the 3.07s make this thing seem S L O W even when turning 11's @122+mph. The Viper gearing almost could not be worse for drag strip duty, unlike the vette.

Now, if we had 3.55s, yea baby, , let's run side by side then & it'd be more fun to finesse the car. The last time I had a car that needed a gear change more it was an 87 Mustang GT with 2.73s. (BTW, not takin anything from the Z06, I love & respect it, just not my purchase choice)

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... The current Z06 is rated at 505 hp and the SRT is 510 hp (I think) but still the Z06 destroys in straight line performance. ....

I caution you to remember that in your comment above the vette is using 3.42 gears and the Viper is using 3.07, put the rear end gears on even footing and the "destroys" comment suddenly does not happen...

-J

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One time i got a better launch and stayed ahead of my buddies Paxton Viper, I guess my 500rwhp car is quicker then his 700 rwhp car, maybe its the extra weight of the Paxton......:rolleyes:

Your buddy with the paxton must really be a crappy driver or maybe that extra 200 pounds the paxton added negated the additional 200 wheel horse power it provided.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your buddy(IDONTSMOQ) with the paxton must really be a crappy driver or maybe that extra 200 pounds the paxton added negated the additional 200 wheel horse power it provided.

200lbs, i thought it was 300....
And yeah, Steve is right........ Crappy driver.:flush: :hitfan: :mf:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's all this noise about.

The magazines have documented that the 2008 Viper beats the Z06. Case closed.

So a ZR1 seems to need a blower to keep up. The ACR will probably still beat it on the track where turns are required, and with the factory Mopar headers/exhaust (675HP) and some 3.33 rear gears (more like the vette's 3.42s), the ACR probably will beat the ZR1 in a straight line too.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Face it guys, practically every other exotic car crossing into the 500+ hp range is also improving traction via AWD or traction control.

I wonder how those F1 drivers are gonna do without TC next year?

BTW Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens are exotics. Vipers are bare bones, grass roots driver's cars. Please don't turn our Viper into an exotic. There are already plenty of exotics to choose from, but there is only one Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang