Thinking about going back to stock exhaust, am I nuts?

mattsmusic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm DD'ing my 06 Roadster with Corsa exhausts on it. I absolutely love the way it sounds but after playing in metal bands for many years my ears are sensitive and the volume is getting to me. Anyone else running Corsa's that's bothered by the volume? I'm thinking about going back to stock or trying to find something just a little quieter than the Corsa's. Is there an "in between" exhaust?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm DD'ing my 06 Roadster with Corsa exhausts on it. I absolutely love the way it sounds but after playing in metal bands for many years my ears are sensitive and the volume is getting to me. Anyone else running Corsa's that's bothered by the volume? I'm thinking about going back to stock or trying to find something just a little quieter than the Corsa's. Is there an "in between" exhaust?

Is everything else stock? If so it shouldn't be too loud.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Ditto on the G-4 take-off, your only real option........and ditto that a CORSA (alone) is too loud. I have tinnitus from years of parking jet aircraft, and from race-track pit lanes, and drone KILLS me......ice pick in ear. Corsa kills the DRONE!

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten Corsas on all my Vipers, Vettes and Caddys. The only exception was my 09 Viper which sounded good out of the factory. I might get the Corsa for my 10 for the look.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put Corsa on my 06 at VOI 9 and the seat in the pants torque, I know I left in Vegas. The low end torque just isn't there anymore. Going to take off the Corsa and put the stock back on. Sound was OK just not the power.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impossible. When did you put it on and how many miles since? Car does need some time to adjust to new breathing etc. While there is very little to gain, I am sure there is no loss, especially a loss that can be felt. Do you have a computer tune in your car? If not that is the problem right there.

Put Corsa on my 06 at VOI 9 and the seat in the pants torque, I know I left in Vegas. The low end torque just isn't there anymore. Going to take off the Corsa and put the stock back on. Sound was OK just not the power.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If yours are corsa 3" track exhaust I'll trade ya my Borla for them. The Borla is quieter than the corsa track.

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We are just finishing a Gen 3-4 side exhaust at M&M Performance. Much lower sound then the corsa. Not as loud. I took the corsa off my car and added headers and our new side exhaust. A lot better sound without being to loud. I would say it was cut in half. Will have pics soon.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could suggest Ear Plugs when it starts bothering you too much!

I love the power and sound of my full Bellanger set up but when it gets hot, it is pretty darn loud. I just pop in some ear plugs at times when it really starts to bother me, as I understand what you are saying. Myself, I am actually going to have the entire inside of the car Dynamated front to back, top to bottom when I change out the stereo speakers, etc. before VOI11. I could care less about the extra weight it will add. I will just need to go on a diet and even it back out.

Anyway hopefully it will keep the sound down when I want it to, with the windows up. With windows down, the sound is awesome, and I would not change a thing, though on a very long drive, it can wear you out prematurely. Sometimes it is nice to be somewhat quiet.

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impossible. When did you put it on and how many miles since? Car does need some time to adjust to new breathing etc. While there is very little to gain, I am sure there is no loss, especially a loss that can be felt. Do you have a computer tune in your car? If not that is the problem right there.

Nader, Had Arrow Racing Put it on at VOI9 and they tuned it at the time for the free flowing K&N and Corsa Exhaust, When they were finished I took it for a blast and I turned around and told them to take it off. It was that noticeable. Of course I didn't have time to take it off and thought it would get better, But no it stayed the same. I put the exhaust on at 1500 miles, Now have 6000 on the car. How Long should I wait! It just doesn't have the low end torque with Corsa that it use too.:D:D

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car should have made the proper adaptations within 300-500 miles. Still doesnt make sense unless the tune is wrong. My car runs like a bat out of hell will simple bolt ons which includes the Corsa. I have a ton of torque low. How you put it on a dyno?

Nader, Had Arrow Racing Put it on at VOI9 and they tuned it at the time for the free flowing K&N and Corsa Exhaust, When they were finished I took it for a blast and I turned around and told them to take it off. It was that noticeable. Of course I didn't have time to take it off and thought it would get better, But no it stayed the same. I put the exhaust on at 1500 miles, Now have 6000 on the car. How Long should I wait! It just doesn't have the low end torque with Corsa that it use too.:D:D

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you could go with a Gen IV exhaust - it sounds a lot better than the Gen III exhaust but is quieter than the Corsa.

I don't see how (on mufflers alone) - I put both exhaust mufflers on my 05 - there's no difference. Also, when crossovers are removed, the sound volume is going up.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the stock Gen 4 mufflers with the ACRX headers and single high flow cat. So far I am very pleased with the sound...louder than stock when on it but at cruising speeds the sound (interior-wise) has actually gone down. When cruising above 65 mph in 5th gear, I have less sound and much less drone than the stock system.

I would expect the headers to make the whole system louder, but that was not the case. Maybe it smooths out the firing order more, I don't know. Also, even though I'm running less back pressure with this system, my low end torque is better than stock. Much easier to launch the car hard or just in stop and go driving. Maybe the Gen 4 cam has something to do with that :dunno: I do know Gen 3 owners (autocrossers) that have told me that the car felt weaker with the 3" Corsa's down low. Again, it could be the way the cam timing is set up, etc.

I think the coupes have more drone than the roadsters, but you might be able to hear more actual exhaust sound in the rag tops.

I think the Gen 4 mufflers are an excellent way to go. You can drop a baseball down the middle of them, yet they seem to control sound very well. Here is a clip of my car doing some drive-bys, pay attention to the 60 mph in 5th gear drive-by. I did it a couple of times, even stepping on the clutch to coast by and we were amazed that the tires generate a lot of the noise you hear outside the car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkwX71S4pUs[/media]

Good luck with your project,
George

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96