Thinking about trading in 05 for Gen 4

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just thinking about trading in my 05 CE for and 08 or newer vert. Did they not make too many verts for gen 4? I don't see too many of them. Should I do this, who should I go through for the transaction? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DO IT! But the 2010s may be in short supply.... Good Luck, Best Viper...so far

The usual suspects for me, have bought both places:

ROANOKE DODGE John He may have ONE FINAL EDITION Avail (used!)
TOMBALL DODGE Bernie

Also

WOODHOUSE Bill
PERFORMANCE Lee

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went the other way, going from a 03 vert to 09 Coupe.

It is a pretty significant upgrade going from Gen III to IV.

More HP, smoother suspension/tires, easier driving suspension/rear end etc.

Engine runs much smoother.

F

FrgMstr

Nice 29K miles 2008 Gen IV vert on autotrader for mid-50s. Maroon and black stripes. Think it is an off lease car. One of the best prices I have seen on a Gen IV.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I went the other way, going from a 03 vert to 09 Coupe.

It is a pretty significant upgrade going from Gen III to IV. More HP, smoother suspension/tires, easier driving suspension/rear end etc.
Engine runs much smoother.

Paul, I agree, but how is going from 05 to 08 "going the other way" ? He is also contemplating doing what you did: G3 to G4

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I asked about movig from my GenIII to a GenIV, majority of feedback was that it probably wasn't worth it. But, considering how far off the GenV is for me, and whether I'll even like it, I went ahead & did the 'upgrade' to an '08. I loved my GenIII, had corsa track, DC tune, etc, but I've totally fallen for my GenIV and completely think it's worth it. The GenIV is truly so much smoother, cooler, and has a power delivery that starts smooth and revs to raging power. Very happy I made the change.

I sold my GenIII in 6 hours (yes, that's 6 hrs), and it did take me over 45 days to find the black vert GenIV I wanted, and recommend waiting to find exactly what you want.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go for it....550 rwhp is no joke. to all the smoother stuff who cares....by somthing else....my gen3 is smoother than my old gen2. i quartermiled my gen3 and five minutes later took my friends gen2 down the quarter mile.. sure my gen3 was faster in the upper rpms but the way his felt in the lower rpms made me miss my gen2 a lil...i here the gen4 is even weaker than the gen3 down low...most cars smoother is better but not in vipers

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Twister said is so true.

All year Vipers share the same DNA. Big, torque laden V10, connected with a solid 6 speed to a track oriented suspension with massive tires, wrapped up is a thermoplastic shell, and all held together by a very robust chassis.

No matter which Viper you drive, there is no doubt that it is a serious drivers machine, with the driver totally in charge of the driving experience.

The Viper does what the driver demands of it, not the other way around.

While there are significant differences between the years, the Viper Driving Experience ties them all together.

Many will argue which color or engine is the best, who has the best shocks, or short throw shifters, but when the rubber meets the road we are all brothers, sharing the same basic DNA

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

What is your impression of the electronic throttle that the Gen IV employs vs the Gen III cable driven throttle?

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every statement Ive read says the cable of the gen3 is MUCH better than the gen4. Id say 600 HP is better than 510 HP and leave it their.LOL

As I get older and the roads get more congested and more and more cops patrol the streets Id almost have to say that a harder hitting low rpm rageing bull so to speak like a gen2 would be a better choice than a gen3 or 4. Sure the 450 HP wont get to 150 mph as fast as 510 or 600 HP. But my gen2 felt more wild and fun than my gen3 from stop light to stop light. at 0-60 in 4.1 seconds it wasnt as fast on paper as the gen3's 3.9 ot gen4's 3.4 seconds. But it sure as hell was fun!

if you live in an area where you will be able to stretch the legs then I say get used 70K 2008 gen4. If theirs always traffic and plenty of cops like where I live then get a 45K gen3 and have more low end fun. I might not be able to exceed 70 mph legally. But theirs no law saying I cant get their as quickly as I want with a huge grin!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any cop that wants to charge for reckless display of speed is just a complete waste of skin. Most lately have been okay but there are plenty of cops out there that should be charged daily with reckless display of authority. Those ones are criminals with a badge and worse than the people they catch.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drive by wire system works great in my 09. No lag at all, and able to easily modulate both around town and at the track.

I have read reports from others that do not like it, but most of the people I speak to directly have no issues with it. Maybe some are better than others. The SRT engineers said that they have worked on the issue, and it is now pretty well sorted out. Expect them to work on it even more, as it is now required by the Feds to pass emissions.

My 96 had serious bucking issues around town, and I had to work hard to keep it smooth in first gear slow traffic situations. 03 was much better, but needed to switch to 3:54 to get better throttle response around town. (not as easy to drive at the track though. Much more shifting and tire spin out of corners).

When I added a Paxton to the 03, all that went away. Smooth throttle, and with a bit of extra torque down low, it felt much stronger and easier to drive around town. Of course under full throttle at higher revs, it certaintly put a huge smile on my face, while thoughts of self preservation crept into my brain. I took out the 3:54 when the Paxton overpowered them, and went back to the stronger 3:07. (Loved that car).

People should not get all excited about the 5-10 difference in torque at lower RPM. The Gen IV puts down the power much better than the earlier generations with its better differential and smoother shifting tranny.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

What is your impression of the electronic throttle that the Gen IV employs vs the Gen III cable driven throttle?

I have gotten used to the drive by wire and I am tolerent of it now. If you have only drive by wire autos the transition is easy. While I still had my GTS ,Gen III and Gen IV going back and forth I had to re-learn all the time.

I also kept my other 2 Vipers for 1-2 more years until I was sure the Gen IV was the better car. My only regret with the Gen IV was that I didn't get a convertible.