Thinking of adding Nos & have questions

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002 GTS with a Roe S/c , 1.7 rockers, headers and 3" corsa .I want to add a system that will give me about 100 more hp . I assume this would be a safe figure for my engine . I dont plan on drag racing . The A/F ratio right now is in the elevens so its seems a little rich so i think that will help and i believe the Nos may even cool down the intake charge and help even more. My only experience with Nos was on my Seadoo GTX in which i fried two pistons.
So whats the best way to go and is just changing the jets change the Hp figures ? Will this work well with the Roe charger ? And i also want to keep it a simple system without adding fuel or propane . Any ideas would be helpful thanks, Jeff

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

Around 80 hp is all you can count on "dry" without adding fuel, and depending on the fuel demands of the supercharger, you may not be able to generate that much without a lean condition.

A/F ratio is everything with nitrous. We set it up rich (10.0-11.0) as the effects of ram air leaning are not considered by most users.

We can set you up with what you need and make it work for your application. We are NOS and NX dealers. Feel free to contact us to discuss your application in further detail and of course, to place your order.

Best of luck.

Tom

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. You will not want to run a dry kit of any sort. While I am an avid NX supporter and dealer, any wet system will work with your mods. However, the NX kit along with the Maximizer would offer you the most adjustability and safety (the Maximizer refrences your 02's and can turn off the nitrous if you hit a predetermined 02 voltage) - The only way to SAFELY configure a system on your car is on a dyno while monitoring A/F to be sure your ratio's on and off the nitrous are where they should be.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i always loved the Nitrous idea, and always loved to have a system on my car, let me know if you are going for BTR system, so i may have the same system because i think non of Roe S/C cars done this before.

u still have the cast pistons right ?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FE155,

Do you have any problems with your read end ratio and the SC? I heard that with the screw type SC low end torque it's impossible to get it to the ground with a high ratio.

OP
OP
F

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if the cast piston question was for me but yes they are stock pistons.
As for the 3:45 gears i installed them to make sixth gear more usable and to keep in more of the power curve throughout all the gears. At any given speed my rpm's are about 4-500 higher which is exactly where i want it . For me it was a perfect decision . Since i dont really drag race traction was not a problem . But while in motion very controlable and takes off like a rocket. Since the Roe charger does always put out a constant boost it is always available but in time you learn to control the valve that allows the boost to enter the engine so it can be gradual and not like the old porsche turbos were.
Or you can mash the pedal and the power is instant . So my reason for thinking about installing Nos (aside from bragging about having 750 hp) would be to have it available at speeds other than from a standing start . I believe with five pounds of boost , minimal hp from Nos , the proper fuel mixture which the vec2.1 allows and a little octane increase the engine should be relable and safe.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Tom and Jason,
I'm going to setup a "dry" kit and use the VEC2 to control it soon. Thinking of a 50 to 100 shot kit. At the moment the VEC2 turns on the nitrous, I will have it increase the injector pulse about 15% and retard the timing 3 to 5 degrees (to start). I'll probably have the nitrous relay turn on at 4,000 RPM and 7 psi of boost, then off at 6,000 rpm. I'll monitor and adjust the air / fuel ratio and timing advance on the dyno and road (looks like I get to use our new test track soon). How does that sound for a start?

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
F

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean You forgot to say hi to me , this is Jeff in San Diego (FE155).
What about my setup that uses only 5 lbs of boost and the newer pistons will you have a configuration that will work on my vec 2.1 and your charger as well?
I did not get the impression that you will be selling a kit so perhaps if i purchase some components from BTR and with the ability of the vec2 to add more fuel may be the combination i need ? And when you retard the timing is that in addition to what is already being pulled out for the charger or total?
thanks Jeff

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

That sounds like a great idea to have the VEC2 do all of the control snd timing functions of the N2O (considering that it's already doing similar work for the supercharger).
Do you think that the later cast pistons can take a 100 shot on top of the 5psi blower pressures?

If you can pull it off, it would be a great combination of supercharger and nitrous, giving a "second stage" to the car after it gains traction at 4K RPM. :laugh:

-Dean.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jeff & Dean,

We ordered a universal EFI NOS brand kit and will set it up on a forged piston motor this week. I'll post the results.
The nitrous should cool the air charge some and perhaps allow a cast piston motor to handle a 100 shot on top of the 5 psi blower. Only testing will tell what the timing and injector pulse differences need to be. The good news is that it should be an easy install and tune with the VEC2 already in place to control it.

Regards,
Sean

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool Sean. I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Having a dry system is a much simpler setup as long as the VEC-2 is controlling the timing and A/F mixture.

-Dean.