thinking of powder coating my ccw sp600's they can't stay clean and scratch easily

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They get dirty so easily and when I go to clean them just wiping them off with a microfiber to get the brake dust off even after spraying them they scratch. Anyone run into this problem? I'm thinking about having the local powder coater do them in like an anthricite or is there an easier way?

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: thinking of powder coating my ccw sp600's they can't stay clean and scratch easil

The easiest way would be to sell them to me cheap!;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: thinking of powder coating my ccw sp600's they can't stay clean and scratch easil

The powder will scratch and dull eventually too. Leading to wheel waxing. :crazy2:

Use a low dust pad like EBC reds. Just try them once before any emergency stopping. :D

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They get dirty so easily and when I go to clean them just wiping them off with a microfiber to get the brake dust off even after spraying them they scratch. Anyone run into this problem?

Yup. Not only that, the lips get beat up by trash from the road getting kicked up on them. Had CCW's on my GTS and spent way too many hours trying to keep them clean and polished. Beautiful wheels but a major PITA to maintain. :( I'll never buy bare aluminum wheels again.

Love my stock clear coated '09 6-spokes!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chrome plate them :D

That's the main reason I nixed CCW from potential wheel suppliers when I was wheel shopping - no optional chrome. Didn't want to buy them and then have to chrome them. One stop shopping at iForged.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A flat, dull, darker version of gray will be perfect and never show the brake dust. That's what I did.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's the main reason I nixed CCW from potential wheel suppliers when I was wheel shopping - no optional chrome. Didn't want to buy them and then have to chrome them. One stop shopping at iForged.

Same thing here! :2tu: Me loves chrome :D

Attachments

• Grill 57 2.jpg
    Grill 57 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, SP600s do require some love. Chrome would give you the best shine and easy cleaning. I'd be afraid to clear them, I've seen some clear coat jobs go bad over time. If you want a color change, then go for the powder coat.

I typically blow mine off with a compressor when they look dirty. A quick polish with billet polish every once in a while keeps me good, but I do know what you mean about the fine scratches when wipping off.

Picture_036B.jpg

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes they are a pain to keep looking nice, but nothing looks better than polished wheels. I have had really good results with Mothers "Billet" and Poorboys wheel sealant.

You must be registered for see images attach

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got CCW's and chromed them. It works great and looks good too. The biggest thing you can do though, is get some ceramic pads like someone already mentioned. I have just normal, run of the mill, ceramic pads on my car and I have BARELY any brake dust even after driving on road trips. I know they have the green and red pads, but IMHO I don't think they are good for anything except costing more than the ones I got.

Don't bail out yet on your polished rims. Get the ceramic pads first. The best thing for polished rims, that I have found, is a good spray down with a nozzle, then I washed mine with the same soap I used to wash my car, Meguires Gold Class. Keep up on them! If you drive your Viper a lot, then wash the rims at least 2 times a week. If it is a weekend car, wash them after your weekend driving is complete.

Finally, go out and buy yourself a gas powered leaf blower. Pretty much anything will scratch a polished rim. The leaf blower is great for drying your car and your rims because you will have no streak marks, no water spots, and most importantly, no scratches on your rims! Hope this helps. Good luck.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you drive your Viper a lot, then wash the rims at least 2 times a week. If it is a weekend car, wash them after your weekend driving is complete.

There are other things I try to do at least twice a week and it isn't washing rims.

Isn't that called, brake dust ?

Only if you apply it yourself. If you pay someone, it's called powdercoating.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes they are a pain to keep looking nice, but nothing looks better than polished wheels. I have had really good results with Mothers "Billet" and Poorboys wheel sealant.

Yes, but you have mad detailing skills. The rest of us mere mortals can't come close to producing results like yours. :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP

2kgtsacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A flat, dull, darker version of gray will be perfect and never show the brake dust. That's what I did.

do you have pics?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm trying hard to keep mine like they are!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine are brushed, so they look scratched all the time.... :)

Attachments

• dt1.jpg
    dt1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 34
  • dt2.jpg
    dt2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 30

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are other things I try to do at least twice a week and it isn't washing rims.

Maybe you should go re-read what I posted then. For a polished rim, they require extra attention if you drive the car A LOT. You can't let brake dust sit on them if you want them to look the same a year after you purchased.

How long does it take to fill a bucket with water, dump some soap in it, wash rims, and blow dry them off? I can do mine in about 10 min. But thank you for your concern!:lmao:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe you should go re-read what I posted then. For a polished rim, they require extra attention if you drive the car A LOT. You can't let brake dust sit on them if you want them to look the same a year after you purchased.

How long does it take to fill a bucket with water, dump some soap in it, wash rims, and blow dry them off? I can do mine in about 10 min. But thank you for your concern!:lmao:

I can read, just can't project humor when typing. I'm not picking on you at all. I do drive my car a lot (~95K), have gone through a variety of brake pads and have just given up. So if I can't beat it, I "joined" and make sure it stays gray. And no, I don't care what my wheels look like anymore.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry dude, I was having a bad day that day! Damn 95K on a Viper? Thats awesome! Still running strong? Yeah I have found that the ceramic pads from autozone work great LOL. I had them on my Vette, and they are on the Viper. HARDLY any brake dust. BUT, you still got to keep up on the rims if they are polished and no clearcoat...and it ***** :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21