This can't be normal for an Autoform Hardtop

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my car back from having an autoform bumper and hard top installed. Does anyone know if this 1" gap above the door is normal. Also a hole in the weather striping about the size of a dime.

Attachments

• PICT0112.jpg
    PICT0112.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 169
  • PICT0117.jpg
    PICT0117.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 149

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fit and finish can sometimes be varied on the aftermarket hard tops and windows. I have seen them all over the map. doesn't help that our cars are hand built and no two are alike in fit...i.e. hood gap, side sill gap, trunk gap, etc.

But that gap of yours on the top...does seem to be on the excessive side.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is similar to my top. You don't want the top to touch the hood or door, given that they would rub. Mine is a bit less than 1" away. The weather stripping fully conforms to the gap, so there is no leakage.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admittedly, not too familiar with them, but I'd say "hell no" from a customer's perspective. I wouldn't accept a gap that wide. I know from my own GTS that body panel fit varies a bit, but not more than 1/8th to 1/4 inch IMHO. I'd ask that it be corrected, or figure out how to correct it.

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the top, but if it's new, wouldn't there be come "settling" due to compression of the weatherstripping over time, i.e, wouldn't it sit lower (lessoning the gap) in a couple of months?

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a high speed drive in Mexico and have the downforce press the top down and compress the weatherstripping.:D

OP
OP

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All my body panels have fit really nice and then this top has a big gap that you can see the hold down hardware, it looks ugly. I don't think the seals will compress much because the latches pull it down pretty hard. My bodyman wants to cut the arm and add in an inch, It would not interfere with the hood or the doors but would take about 8 hours for labor

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the fit. My opinion is that these were developed during the early years of the Viper Racing League, for RT/10's. The top fit great with a roll cage, and the gap didn't bother us.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd try to make some kind of black moulding to fit over that gap. I don't have any idea how to do that in your case; but, it is a typical "trick" when there is a gap or a seam to hide.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is about the same. Nothing unusual. I would advise against cutting it and adding 1"... It may not be that simple as slapping some fiberglass on it. Then again what do I know, I have never cut the pillar...

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it but either way you should probably update your avatar Marv aaahh Steve that is...;)

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I will not worry about it and just paint the exposed parts black. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang