This is strange

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't believe there's much you can do unless their undamaged claim was made to you in writing. They can also simply say that you could have possibly caused this damage after the car was sold which someone has already mentioned. Lesson learned is all dealerships aren't created equal in terms of the inspection protocols on pre-owned Vipers - like Woodhouse, Tomball, etc. If you plan to purchase a used Viper from one of the less reputable dealerships, please make sure you exercise the utmost diligence in terms on inspection from an experienced Viper technician or owner.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's odd that this damage is only visible when the pan is removed. How the hell did this cross brace get damaged? Was it a one-owner Viper?

So I removed my diff tonight and noticed the large dent is this normal?

Just doing some detective work here: Why did you remove the differential? Was there something wrong with it? Was it an original differential?

What I am getting at is that the cross member appears in your picture to be pushed to the rear and not upward? I can not conceive of an accident that would do that with the belly pan in place. If someone previously removed the differential, could they have bent that cross bar while manhandling the diff? Got it hung up and leveraged it out of the situation and then since it was going to be covered up and hadn't affected the alignment, just buttoned it back up? Either a DPO or a rushed/poor/lazy mechanic ? ( I know, I know. A professional mechanic would never do that.)

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was curious about how the bent member happened also and it's relationship to the other damage, sill and quarter you mentioned. It seems the person who knows is the original owner. Could dealer have been hoodwinked too? The question is did dealer know this and misinform you? Do you know where it was serviced?

OP
OP
M

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just doing some detective work here: Why did you remove the differential? Was there something wrong with it? Was it an original differential?

What I am getting at is that the cross member appears in your picture to be pushed to the rear and not upward? I can not conceive of an accident that would do that with the belly pan in place. If someone previously removed the differential, could they have bent that cross bar while manhandling the diff? Got it hung up and leveraged it out of the situation and then since it was going to be covered up and hadn't affected the alignment, just buttoned it back up? Either a DPO or a rushed/poor/lazy mechanic ? ( I know, I know. A professional mechanic would never do that.)

My clutch went so I replaced the clutch and went with a aluminum fly wheel also ordered 355 gears. Ringold is doing the gears as we speak.

OP
OP
M

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was curious about how the bent member happened also and it's relationship to the other damage, sill and quarter you mentioned. It seems the person who knows is the original owner. Could dealer have been hoodwinked too? The question is did dealer know this and misinform you? Do you know where it was serviced?
I was told that the original owner purchased the car from them. It's to bad that the parts don't have vin# on them. There is know way this is the original belly pan. Love my car and will keep it and have it fixed.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no way this crossmember is bent that bad without pulling frame together a little bit

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a cross bar on the front of my corvette look like that before. I didn't have a tow hook so I looped the winch cable around underneath the car. It could have gone off track or been loaded onto a trailer and someone pulled it on like that. Not saying that the situation, just a possible answer.

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry you are having to go through that.

He said the muffler has a dent too so most likely some parts were replaced from an accident to cover up but they left that as is since it was hidden. I would try to work with the dealership to fix it, you obviously wouldn't lie so tell them that the whole Viper forum is waiting to see how they handle it. I am sure they will work with you a little even if it means any help with the repair at all.

Since you didnt notice it in 4 years it probably means its not affecting much and your car drives fine, but Id fix it for safety and if you ever sell your car mention it to the next owner...document it as well.

F

FrgMstr

after 4 years they will laugh at you. fix it right and move on. dont sweat it

Exactly. Beyond a little common sense, I don't think you will have a leg to stand on legally. But I do think this is a good situation to have pointed out. Get under the car before you buy it.

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd go right to your sales person and sales manager. Tell them you are devastated and the VCA community wants to see how they'll handle it. I dont think you have a case legally, but this is serious and luckily you can do more damage to their reputation on this forum than it would cost them to make it right by far. People need to be held accountable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine