Thoughts on the Detroit Auto Show

Ronald L. Cypher

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just came back from the Detroit Auto show. I saw the SRT Coupe at the Invitational and loved it. DC did change the gas cap to chrome as was suggested by many at the invitational. Unfortunately, they made it brushed chrome instead of polished. It just does not look as nice, especially with those beautiful wheels. I REALLY hope they make one more change and make it polished to match. I would be stunning and look like the aftermarket ones many of us put on our GTS.

As an aside: The Firepower looked great! And they definitely need to up the horsepower on the Coupe before it is released. Everyone seemed enamored with the vette and mustangs at the show, there looks and horsepower. The Charger is a joke....looks nothing like my old charger. They should not use that name on it!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most us Mopars guys that came up with the older cars are complaining about the use of the Charger name on that taxi cab.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most us Mopars guys that came up with the older cars are complaining about the use of the Charger name on that taxi cab.

LMFAO

taxi cab lol :D

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So did you like the old L-body charger more? 2.2L 100 hp version. I assume that is what you meant by your "old charger." :)

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score

complain all you want, I happen to like it. I may have to get one in a year or two.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Charger is the same mistake Pontiac made with GTO - "we'll just slap a famous car name on and the suckers will buy them anyway" - guess what, not.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Autoweek, Trevor Creed says they didn't intend to go retro, and they wanted to create a new sedan. He also said they had no intention to produce a 2 door. No shyt Trev? How come you had that stunner in 99? It was a four door, I believe. And it came close to the look of Charger.

HOWEVER, DC chose to rip off the Charger name, which got famous ONLY because of the late 60s/early 70s look. They are trying to dupe folks into believing this is something like that car.

Sorry, Trev, it ain't gonna to float. You should have called it something else. It is way too ugly to be called a Charger.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, Trev, it ain't gonna to float. You should have called it something else. It is way too ugly to be called a Charger.

People said the same thing about the 300C. Gee, then why are they selling 'em left and right?

HOWEVER, DC chose to rip off the Charger name, which got famous ONLY because of the late 60s/early 70s look. They are trying to dupe folks into believing this is something like that car.

What a load of BS. Of course they didn't go retro with the car, we can clearly see that. What they did was bastardize a great name and a great car. ********

I suppose you guys were happy with the L-body "Charger" (Dodge Omni) of the early '80s? How you can sit there and say that this thing is a "bastardization" yet conveniently forget about that pathetic 90hp FWD weakling is beyond me. The '06 is a RWD, high-powered V8 with near the same level of performance as the '60s model, with far superior handling and refinement. So it's a 4-door.

'course, I guess your perspective is different if you've got the cash to blow on a Viper...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So did you like the old L-body charger more? 2.2L 100 hp version. I assume that is what you meant by your "old charger." :)

LOL! yeah, right! No, when I think of Charger I think of the gen II ('68 - '70). I agree that the L body Chargers were also undeserving of the name.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

People said the same thing about the 300C. Gee, then why are they selling 'em left and right?

What a load of BS. Of course they didn't go retro with the car, we can clearly see that. What they did was bastardize a great name and a great car. ********

I suppose you guys were happy with the L-body "Charger" (Dodge Omni) of the early '80s? How you can sit there and say that this thing is a "bastardization" yet conveniently forget about that pathetic 90hp FWD weakling is beyond me. The '06 is a RWD, high-powered V8 with near the same level of performance as the '60s model, with far superior handling and refinement. So it's a 4-door.

'course, I guess your perspective is different if you've got the cash to blow on a Viper...

What makes you think that those of us complaining about the '06 Charger didn't alos complain about the L body Charger and the 'doba based Charger? Besides, hosing up the Charger name by applying it to an L body 20 years ago doesn't make it okay to hose the name again by applying it to a pig nosed taxi cab in '06.

Also, there was not nearly the level of outcry about the 300 that there is about the four door Charger because, in my opinion, the Charger name carries much more heritage and weight than the 300 name. Certainly, the Charger is far more famous even when one considers the racing history of the original 300's.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At least the 80's Charger still had 2 doors....

Face it, that car was purely a badge slapped onto the car and nothing more. There was no NASCAR program, no advertising toting it as a "legend" it was just someone under Iacocca's reign that thought it was a good idea. I don't think anyone cared because the car was so insignificant.

The problem is that the new Charger is trying to ride on the coat tails of a great car (well from 1971 down) and as enthusiasts it's extremely insulting. The thing is, as enthusiasts we tend to have tunnel vision when it comes to what we want and what we think is what should be done. Do I think this car is a mistake? Personally yes. Naming it after the Charger is a laugh but there is no doubt in my mind that the thing is going to sell. For me my big issue with the look of the car is not it's appearance at all. It looks mean, but when I look at it I compare it to the second gen charger (68-70) and there just aren't any cues. To me the only muscle car cue I can truly spot is the rear 1/4 panel line that is more challenger than anything.

The only harm that is going to come from naming this car as such is going to be some alienated enthusiasts, but I seriously doubt that's going to hurt sales to any measurable degree. What it will hurt is the image that the car once had. The car will be a success but in doing so equates to selling your own mother to make a buck. It's classless.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from another prospective. I believe the real value of the name, is that a new owner can proclaim with some enthusiams, that he drives a Charger. Much better than saying you are the owner of the Intrepid.
In some ways, this Charger name fits. It will be the lightest, and best handling, and best performing of all the cars in this line. (Magnum, 300C, Charger.)
Just like the new owner of a V-8 proudly points to his new HEMI! which is better than saying "Thats my Vortec".
These names have marketing value. Even if they are used now, no reason a 2 door coupe could not be released in the future carrying the Charger nameplate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte