Ticking sound

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was out for a drive tonight and I can hear a ticking sound coming from the engine when it's around 2500 rpm. It's loud enought that I can hear it over the sound of the engine. I can't remember it being there before. Then it seems to go away at high rpm's.

Does anyone else notice this with these engines( <=== not a mechanic ) or is this something I should have looked at???

Thanks for any advice. The car seems to run fine

It's a 99 gts

:drive:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the hood and have someone rev the motor a bit while you listen closely and walk your way around the engine area. It may be an exhaust leak. That will cause the common "tick-tick-tick-tick" noise from the motor area (exhaust leak would be more on the sides and underneath the motor). If it is more of a solid "knock" sound, it may be a rocker arm or something internal screwing up. Whenever you hear noises like this, park the car and open the hood. Have a good listen and try to find the source. Rev the otor a bit but don't go too crazy with the revs. Well, I have revved the crap out of cars, redlining them trying to find the source of weird sounds, but in your case, just take the RPM's up a little to try and find out where that tick is coming from.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds familar. Had similar symptoms a couple of years ago. Could hear it at lower RPMs and would disappear at higher RPMs. Turned out the cardboard like header gaskets were leaking. Replaced them with the OEM metallic ones and problem went away. Note, I have Belanger headers, which came with the cardboard gaskets. Stock Vipers have the metallic gaskets from the factory.