Time to go with hiflow cats! Any for sale & a couple other ?'s

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to go with hiflow cats! Any for sale & a couple other ?\'s

Well, I've decided that hi-flow cats is what Santa (played by me) is going to bring me :) I'm leaning toward the Roe HF cats unless someone can offer reasons on why I shouldn't. My car is stock motorwise, but I have removed my muffler. So, a couple questions:

1. Anyone have Roe HF cats for sale?

2. How much louder will the car be at idle/WOT?

3. Anyone have any soundclips of HF cats on a muffler-less Gen 1?

4. Will I gain any HP/tq?

(and most importantly)...

5. Is there any reason this will be a bad setup and if so, what do you recommend?

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Time to go with hiflow cats! Any for sale & a couple other ?\'s

Have you checked out the Random techs? I believe they are the least restrictive you can buy. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have the ROE ovals and love them. no difference in idle sound but at half throttle and WOT, the made a big difference. a lot more throaty and deeper sounding.

not to mention my silver sills have not discolored at all since them being installed.. :)

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a stock Gen II with Roe HF cats no mufflers etc.. Seems really loud at idle and lower RPM's but not nearly as much drone as before.Funny thing is at high speeds it's definately not as loud as it was before.I like the sound, but I am on the fence about keeping it this way.Before switching I had factory cats/resonators and no mufflers.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if i remember correctly it was the second one chad. but it was over 2 years ago and im getting old...:)

yes, drone is gone too for me. it put all the noise BEHIND the car. instead of some of it IN the car.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a set of used Roe oval high flows setting on my garage floor now. I decided to go catless a year ago. PM me for details and pictures.

Bob K

Reaction score

Chad....those are BOTH the SAME.....the only difference is the #235 is the cat AND the extension tubing pre-welded to be a direct fit replacement for the stock cat.

I hope that made sense....and I think I am right. :)

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chad....those are BOTH the SAME.....the only difference is the #235 is the cat AND the extension tubing pre-welded to be a direct fit replacement for the stock cat.

I hope that made sense....and I think I am right. :)

Thanks Tony, I wondered about that. I saw the $90 price difference, so I figured it couldnt be too much of a difference.

Reaction score

No worries Chad! I have these cats (and nothing aft of them) and they are quite nice. Loud is no way to describe my car. :)

I just watched BLUESNAKE367 put these on a local RT/10 and I was told they sounded great on that car too.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

I went with RandomTech's and LOVE 'em. Jon B will get you a great deal!

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey there Mr. Chad, Happy Thanksgiving bud!!!
I had run cat-less for a montn or so with my Corsa system and it was too loud in my GTS and the ear shattering drone was back. I then went with the MagnaFlow 14" ovals where the cats were...sounded OK but still had the terrible drone. Yesterday I took the MagnaFlows out and installed the below cats.
http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1059
Now the sound is PERFECT. Total cost for me was under $100.00 since I welded & fabricated everything myself. I was going to do the Roe and/or RTs but had to laugh when I saw those costs vs doing it myself. Given where you work, you could probably fabricate all this up yourself and save a buck or two as well.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have cdi/archer headers,3" pipe(NO CATS) to 3" Corsa.Loud when on the pedal?Hell yes!Nothing to it at idle,coasting or cruising constant rpm.Have cat syms.No drone either.Honest.Wonder if the headers make a difference VS ELLOW VIPER's set up?If they don't sniff I would forget the cats.Enjoy luke warm side sills and cooler interior temps. GTS Bruce

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Anyone else have the cats ellowviper has? The price is great, but most of the time... "you get what you pay for". Says it's for engine's up to 5.9L.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ellow's are 2.5". that is the only downside. if you go 3" from the headers all the way back, then you _might_ pick up some power. on the other hand, cars w/ just hi-flows added sometimes loose power too.

What people don't think about when they modify the exhaust is the _why_ of any power increase. if you are just opening up the exhaust to breath better, you should gain some power. if the _combination_ of your modification affects the air/fuel ratio, then this (primarily) is the reason you gain or lose power. so just "bolting on" an upgrade w/o a) first doing a baseline and b) seeing how the mod affects the car overall is a complete guess.

long story short: you might lose power. but it'll sound bad-***!

JD

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

designed for engine's up to 5.9L would scare me. but call the MFG and see what they think of the cat being on a viper. they might say its good. but id call first.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Chad,
as you know I have your exact same car, and I went with the Random Techs.
That is all I changed, just the Cats, and it is fine. More power, a little more noise. Very happy with the set up and do not plan on any further changes.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

..up to a 5.9 is per cat...so to theoretically max out the "cheapies" I picked up I'd need a 11.8 liter V-10. Lifetime warrantee as if that really matters too. Oh yea, they offered a 3.0 inlet/outlet but since I was using stock sizing, I went with the 2.5 in/out just for simplicity. After crusing several hundred miles this weekend, I simply love the new sound. Louder at idle and under acceleration than the DynoMax and NO DRONE at any RPM. I think the low-end torque is better but hard to really substantiate. I think the small backpressure that probably builds at 2000+ RPM really helps eliminating the drone when used with the Corsa system; since the Corsa was designed to be used with Cats (according to their tech rep at the factory).

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Used R/T Hi flows, they have two versions. A ceramic and a metal core. seems the metal core offers less restriction, louder, and thus more HP. cost around $400 for the set. I also suggest you consider smooth tubes and K&N filters to compliment your new set.