Tinted Windows

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have their windows tinted, in a state were it is illegal? I am in NJ and think that tinted windows look great, but would prefer not to get in trouble or fined.

Also, if you do get tinted windows and get busted what are the repercussions?

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 5 percent on mine and have had no problems. In kentucky I think ours is 20 or 30 percent. They gave me a warning in my old car and said they could make me take it off on the spot. I don't know if it was where I am young or what but, as far as I know it doesn't count towards your points or anything.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mo. has a tint law and my side windows are tinted and I have never had a problem.I dont have windows up often though

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tint may be tacky where your from, but in Arizona we NEED it! Obviously it's legal here, but you have to be able to see into the car to be state legal. Limo tint on front windows is illegal! When the "Zonies" drive to SoCal, many have been ticketed for window tint.......

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old daily driver (okay this will start a riot!! LOL)...had tinted windows...right up to the legal limit. LOVED them..I COULD have had darker tint (harder to see at night though) as I have medical reasons that could 'allow' for dark tint...but now I prefer to SEE as opposed to NOT seeing at night. Here it is:
2007_1026alerocorvette0014.JPG

(It actually was a GREAT car...loved the color//ran great//only a 4cyl. but takeoff was great! Yes, it's a 2002 Olds Alero~~traded in for the '08 Vette) ~juli

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each their own. I think tint is tacky. Besides, I like for all the idiots on the road to be able to see my eyes.
It is tacky,every time I take a corner hard my face gets stuck to the drivers side window:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im in Comnufornia, I have 13% on the sides and back. Any darker than 70% on the side windows is illegal. I havent been hasseled yet.....

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have their windows tinted, in a state were it is illegal? I am in NJ and think that tinted windows look great, but would prefer not to get in trouble or fined.

Also, if you do get tinted windows and get busted what are the repercussions?

I went 24 years without a ticket and last November got busted for 5 of them in VA. 79 MPH in a 65, tinted windows too dark, no front plate, wrong color running lights (I've got these evil looking red lights on the Black vert), and expired inspecition sticker.

I was angry at myself for being so stupid and letting my rush to get to a poker game make me not think about speed and all the cops that patrol that section of highway. So I didn't even look at the tix. I called my local Viper tech and started getting prices to fix everything so I would have receipts to show a judge and most likely be able to beat the fines on everything but the speeding. I hated the tought of ruining the look of the car by removing the window tint and putting on a front plate.

Then I looked at the fines and they came to a total of $275 of which the tinted windows was only $30.

I decided to issue a general "eff that", paid the fines, and will risk more tix.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 5% limo tint on mine. I just bought it this winter though, I don't think I had my windows tinted on my last viper although I have had limo tint on my ferraris and lambos and havnt got pulled over. I've also had limo tint on my hummers for years and havnt been pulled over in awhile. Although my girl got pulled over in my porsche and got a ticket for windows and no front license plate and she wasnt even speeding, those were the only 2 tickets she got. She had the top down and the windows up! :D They made her take off the tint, and she had to pay no fine, but still had to pay for the license plate or something like that, which I really ended up paying lol
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My brother in law in Bergen County has limo on his Cobra, but he also has Fire Dept plates...he never had any problems. Out here in AZ now we have to have tint, plus the limo looks good against the black plastic on the doors. I have limo on all my cars and a limo banner across the top of the windshield and back window. I think it looks good on the car

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I have always had tinted windows, and only had a problem once, many years ago.
They gave me a ticket and made me remove the film.​

I don't have the Viper's done, but my pickup is done with the tint matching the factory rear window tint.​

Like mentioned earlier, don't use LIMO tint. Do the rear dark and the sides light. Because you have black interior it will appear darker from the outside of the car.​

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Juli,
As they say... you hurt the ones you love.

Awwww....so sweet, after so ******~~~;)!! LOL...I actually REALLY liked that Alero, we'd go to car shows with me in that car, and Mike in the Viper, and I'd say it's my 'Performance Alero'...this with people we KNEW...as a nice joke!! I'd pull up next to one of our buddies who had SUPER-powered cars, and I'd open my hood too....LOL!! ~juli
:2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine has a pretty good tint to it. never had a problem and honestly they're down more than up anyways. not too often youre gonna get hassled for it.

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had tint on basically all of my cars and never gotten hastled. I'm not even thinking about tinting the Viper b/c the windows, and top for that matter, are never up when I'm driving it.

The tickets are really cheap anyway, but sometimes they will take it off on the roadside. That's really only if the cop is a dick or they just feel like it. Generally in cars like ours, the cops won't do it, but just be nice and you should be okay.

OP
OP
O

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.... What is the suggested advice to say when I am pulled over for tint? "I didn't know I couldn't?" Or is it blatant honesty, something like, "I love the way it looks and did it, even though there is a risk of getting pulled for it"

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.... What is the suggested advice to say when I am pulled over for tint? "I didn't know I couldn't?" Or is it blatant honesty, something like, "I love the way it looks and did it, even though there is a risk of getting pulled for it"

Well, if you're already pulled over for that SPECIFIC reason...the tint? Screwed........
You NEVER say a thing to an officer until he ASKS you a question, then you be EXtremely brief, but polite. If he SAYS, did you know that this tint is ILLEGALLY TOO DARK, you can say "Oh, I'm sorry, no, I didn't know that"....see how that goes. You may get a warning.
If you're that worried, just get right up to the 'legal' limit in your state (Your tint place will know--mine did). It DOES look awesome, agreed. :cool: ~juli

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with tint is that the majority of vehicles out there with tint look very Tacky.(ex:1990TanHondaAccord4-doorW/limoTint) This greatly overwhelms the few cars out there that actually look good with tint. This leaves the perception by the general public of All tint being considered tacky.

I personally think that some cars look sweet with tint, but myself would not like to sacrifice the drivability at night. and would prefer wearing cool sunglasses during the day, and letting people see me. (I don’t mind waving or nodding back to the fans...)

Regarding the Law, most states have a form you can pick up at your DMV. Take it your eye doctor and have them sign it with an excuse like “bla bla bla from prolonged sun exposure”

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 02 acr, I had 13% installed.

Attachments

• smviper.JPG
    smviper.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 37

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my 02 acr, I had 13% installed.

VERY nice...and I believe that amount would be legal here in NY. Where are you located? So, why are you not listed as a Viper Owner??? PM your VIN# to the moderators (citysnake, kcobean, lee00blacksilver, y2k5srt), and upgrade yourself to Viper Owner (discreetly too!)!!! Simple as that~~juli

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike. I can tell you everything you need to know about tint in NJ. Trust me. :D Gimme a call before you do anything.

OP
OP
O

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

No question you are getting a call from me. I love the way it looks on yours. I am not even fully decided if I want to do it yet.

Arthur R Davis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a medical waiver for extra tinting. I also live in VA. They issued a ticket to me a month ago for tinted windows during the "Land Air and Speed" weekend. The Trooper took the time to explain the degree of tint allowed. VA allows 35% with a waiver and mine was 12%. The factory average with an A/C equipped car is about 72-75%. if you add 25% shading, then multiply that by the 72% factory to get total shading.Example .25 x .72= .18 or 18%

My fine was $91.00

In VA, with no waivers, the tint is allowed to be 50%, which means that you can tint it with about 70% or double the factory Viper. (.75x .70= .52 or 52%) The tint per window will be like lookig through two windows or looking the car will be like looking through two cars parked side by side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang