Tips and Tricks for G5 owners

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure by now we have all learned how to open the gas tank cap. But I'd like other members to share any tips they've learned while working on their G5.

Here is what I've discovered. I recently bought the Mopar speaker upgrade package. When you disconnect the battery (or if your battery dies) you won't be able to open your doors or your glove box. I had to have my daughter crawl into the trunk to open a door. I know I could of just reconnected the terminal, she had fun. But it made me think, if your battery dies and your phone is in the glovebox or something else you need, may be a bad time to find this out. I started out by heavily dynamating both doors and the back panels heavily (3 diff layers) big diff I have the corsa exhaust & it's loud. I found the 3 6x9 holes are exposed to the undercarriage so I bought plastic speaker baffles, I figure that's a great way for water or road noise to get in. So I'm also sealing those up too.

G4 K&N airintake tubes although very close do not fit on the G5 w/o rigging or mods. I really like the look of the K&N over the black plastic box. When you open the hood, it really pops.

I also added the back up camera a real must if you add the aero spoiler.. Wish it had proximity sensors funny how spoiled u get used to those things. Not that expensive but getting the taillight surround off & on is best left to a pro. Trust me!!!

You will have to have your computer reflashed with each option from the dealer. So I'd recommend doing those together if your thinking about it.

Hope this helps someone else.

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tnx for posting ur initial thread….

what hole or opening are u referring to ?? where are they?

i too have a corsa on my gen5 and i wrapped my corsa with DEI titanium 2" wraps, and the cat delete part of the ext. and IT IS SIGNIFICANTLY COOLER now…. worth doing…..

as to the batt…..if it dies… and door was locked…. is there a batt. access point somewhere ? we can't open the hood..latch locked too… ??

jR
'14 TA

OP
OP
T

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jjrho unless you have a GTS I believe behind the seats is only 1 6x9 the 3 other holes are covered by metal plates. Even if you don't install the speaker package I would highly recommend some dynamat in this area. The carpet panels really just pop out no tools are required. Removing the door panels is a bit more of a job but not to bad.

What else did you have to purchase to remove the lower cat?

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i didn't have to get anything else… corsa ext….. then the shop added a pipe at the cat del. location…
the door sill is so much cooler now…..

as to the "hole", where are u talking about ? I have a TA with standard speakers…. can water come thru from below ? i still don't know what you guys are referring to….

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see people mention having to hit the rear trunk release more than once. That is because they are doing it wrong, and catching the safety on the first push. If you gently lift up on the hatch, while pushing the button at the same time, it will open on the first push. SRT engineer showed me that, at the manufacturing plant.

Tony

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see people mention having to hit the rear trunk release more than once. That is because they are doing it wrong, and catching the safety on the first push. If you gently lift up on the hatch, while pushing the button at the same time, it will open on the first push. SRT engineer showed me that, at the manufacturing plant.

Tony

Thanks Tony!!! Very good to know...I'm always hitting that trunk release twice...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading the Oil Dipstick

Because the dipstick enters the oil pan at such a sharp angle it is difficult to read, especially with clean oil. You want the graduated side to enter the tube on the front side of the tube. I put a mark on the dipstick handle , that mark coincides with the graduated side of the dipstick. If you insert the dipstick while aligning the graduated side to the front, you will read correctly.

OP
OP
T

thegeneral78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good tip on the trunk release.

Anyone with and X-brace metal or carbon fiber should retorque the 8 bolts. They tend to get loose, maybe even some loctite would help.

As far as the speakers: the story continues :-(. 3 of 4 rear speakers didn't take in the first flash. Going to bring mine back in Tuesday. Might wanna check to make sure they are actually playing, it's hard to tell unless you put your hand on the speaker. Only the 1 original 6x9 was still playing. But even with that, it's a noticeable difference, 3 more working 6x9s can only help. I'll keep you posted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang