Tips for first timer at Viper Days,

OP
OP
V

viperbabe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong place, probably should have been under general discussion

would post pics if I was a computer person, sorry

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I moved it over here where you'll see the "softer" side of our membership.

Please ask questions and we'll do our best to give you practical answers.

Welcome to the club! :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a helmet, mount 6 point belts (if not for the safety then for the torso stability while on the track), get driving shoes (wrong pedal can be really bad on thetrack) and most of all listen and learn from your instructor.

Car improvements can be made over time. Doubtful that a first time novice will stress the brakes or other vehicle system.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CONGRATS on your excellent decision to upgrade your skills. Upgrading the "software" between the ears is an important step to safe and fast Viper enjoyment.

1) 2008 SRT10. Be sure your mechanicals are ready: 50% + brake pad thickness; Clear/clean brake fluid. If it is darker than honey, have it bled/changed/upgraded. Even fresh MoMar DOT 4 is better than dark fluid. I suspect any 08 is FINE on all these items, and COOLANT FILLED too.

2) Tire Pressures at 30psi all around when cold. Maybe 32 Fronts if a short-twisty course.
We suspect you have new-like OE PS2s, a GREAT tire for this, even if you get wet!

3) The lightest helmet you can afford.....they may have loaners if you dont have/want. VCA members like you receive a discount and 2-day air ship at HELMET CITY 888 343 5638.

Great PILOTI Driving shoes here for $30! : Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide But you need to convert from Mens sizes...

4) Dont assume your driving seat-pedal-steering wheel position is the same for street and track. If you dont have harnesses, the G-forces will be new to you and trying to move you in your seat. Wear natural fibres that will grip the sueded seats, and be prepared to adjust seat-pedal-steering for a better track feel. No driving shoes? Wear a small, grippy-soled shoes, not un-supportive flats. Sunglasses if you dont have a tinted helmet shield.

5) Pay Attention to the classroom session and on the reconissance laps. "LOOK AHEAD" is a theme you will pick up, and soon understand. Once you reach an entry to a turn, and have the entry angle established, you should already be looking AHEAD at the exit point, and your next entry/apex. LOOK AHEAD !!! Try doing this NOW, before your track day. It means a LOT to look ahead. Anticipate...as yyour day goes forward, you will be faster each session! So looking ahead is a MUST the faster you go.... and this day you will improve a LOT. We PROMISE!

Have fun, and be safe.

JonB, a Proud NARRA-Viper Days Sponser, and (past) Viper Days instructor.....

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The others can correct me if I'm wrong; but, for a first time track experience, you should not need a 6-point harness. It definitely does hold you in place and is a great safety factor; but, many, if not most first timers do not go that far. The more that you do it, the faster you go, and then for sure, the harness is a must. Be careful, you will get hooked on this. It really brings the Viper ownership experience alive !!!!

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What JonB said- he has lead a-many neophite souls thru this. His "look ahead" is, as Skip Thomas says "WIDE EYES". It means "see everything for the first time". The biggest thing I can say is RELAX. It is easy to get intense during the on track time. Relax on the straights, move your fingers. The instructor makes a big difference. Try to get the same one all day for consistency. I pray they still have the portable communication systems so you can hear what your instructoir is saying. Know that you can pull off the track during the session. Sometimes I "got lost" with my thoughts and had to pull off to re-set my concentration. Maybe, just maybe you might want to wear depends on the first 1/2 of the day. If you make it to lunch, you are hooked! I almost quit after my very first track session, but made it through my second one and got hooked!
If you are trying, at the end of the day you will be exhausted, dehidrated, and will understand what "two feet in" means.

Welcome to the madness!!:usa:
PBR

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats on signing up for Viper days! They are a great group of people and you picked the perfect environment to learn how to handle that beast. If you are running at Putnam Park this yr I will see you there.

Like others have said, first time out:

Helmet, SA 2005
Driving shoes if you have them
Long pants, long sleeve shirt
Change brake fluid to a Dot 4 (Motul 600 or 660)
Check oil, I run Mobile 15/50 for the track
(Bring extra of both to the track)
Stock pads for 1st time is good, make sure you have at least 50% left
Check rotors, make sure they are good to go
I start 35psi cold on my PS2's, 33-34 for the rears, check when I pit, they are usually around 43psi, check tire wear and pressures in between runs
Torque lug nuts
Drink lots of water
Listen to your instructor and attend each class
Get out in a car for hot laps

Have fun with the car, learn it's dynamics, where to brake, enter/exit apex's and overall handling the torque. Take it easy, learn the line and listen. Smooth transitions, like a dance around the track, work on this and then you can start to increase your entrance and exit speeds.

Once you get hooked on tracking your Viper then you can start looking into upgrading some things on your car-and believe me, you WILL get hooked!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten