Tire dilemma - What to do.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions...

I just purchased my '06 coupe. The dealer that sold me the car put a brand new pair of rear runflats on the car. The run flats were made in the 26th week of 2009 so they are "fresh". Since the installation, the car has 3 miles on the tires so they are brand new. The fronts are original and have plenty of tread left on them and that is why I suspect they were not replaced. I am concerned about running old tires and new tires.

I know that most everyone is going to say ditch the run flats and go PS2's. I would do that but like most who have just purchased a new car funds can be on the low side which is my case.

Is there a "fresh" pair of run flat fronts in existance? I thought production ceased.

I know there are run flat fans out there yet. Is any one interested in buying a pair of new rear run flats for a reasonable price (meaning not going to give them away but not expecting new prices either).

I am willing to listen to other alternatives too.

Steve A.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Steve.

So the fronts are probably 2005's. And the rears are 2009's. 4 year difference.

IF you do NOT push the car it might work, but ... you know the limits. The cheapest solution seems to be, buy a set of NEW RF for the front IF available.

Otherwise sell the new rears and get 4 new PS2 etc.

P.S.: when I changed from OLD Michelins PS to new PS2 (all around) the amount of grip - especially in the front - around corners at higher speed is UNBELIEVABLE.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at this time we do not have any of the runflats in stock but, Michelin has assured us that there will be another production run in the near future. What does 'near future' mean to Michelin I'm not sure.

I would have zero issues with a July 2005 tire on my own car providing there is still usable tread depth. The only way to truly tell if a tire is 'aged' to a point it should be retired (no pun intended) is with a durometer.

Last year we were offered a smokin' deal on some 2004 & 2005 production tires which allowed us to offer them at a very attractive price. A race shop I have been dealing with over the last 10 years or so purchased quite few of them after some initial testing. They started by ordering 1 set of the 2004s and 1 set of new 2009 production version. The they performed a durometer check and found the 2004 production tires were only 3-4 points different than the 2009 tires. That 3% -4% difference is not enough to affect performance. They ran on those tires all last year and have even ran a couple of early season events this year on them with no age related issues.

congrats on the new car now go for a drive & have fun

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothin wrong with those tires! just drive the dam car!

OP
OP
S

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke,

Thanks for the re-assurance. Tread depth on the tires is between 75-80% of new so tread depth is OK.

thanks
Steve A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX